What did you do in the reloading room recently?

i have about of 100-300 of .308 brass that is prepped and waiting to be primed - but for that i need to swap xl750 primer tube and bar for LRP setup, and just cannot make myself to get to it.
it is just too cold out there to go shooting, so, seems like a sorta futile activity atm.
Get it done now so no time wasted loading when the good days come.
Im one to talk I have been super lazy

Depends, arthritis has turned me into a big pussy with the cold.
Yeah I’m a wimp with the cold too. When it’s sub freezing I have to wear insulated pants heavy socks and multiple layers under my north face winter jacket. I even use heated gloves when I walk the dog. I think I have a blood circulation issue.

Yeah I’m a wimp with the cold too. When it’s sub freezing I have to wear insulated pants heavy socks and multiple layers under my north face winter jacket. I even use heated gloves when I walk the dog. I think I have a blood circulation issue.
shooting prone or even from bench in this cold is little fun, and most shooting i do now is from 300yds, it is just not worth the time. it will be back in the 40s soon, then i will continue, there is no need to rush anywhere...
plus i hate shooting that distance with gloves, even with the smooth thin sheep leather gloves it`s still not the same as with no gloves.

shooting prone or even from bench in this cold is little fun, and most shooting i do now is from 300yds, it is just not worth the time. it will be back in the 40s soon, then i will continue, there is no need to rush anywhere...
plus i hate shooting that distance with gloves, even with the smooth thin sheep leather gloves it`s still not the same as with no gloves.
Yeah shooting from a bench in the shade away from the sun is no fun. I also hate shooting with gloves

Nice!
Oh come on! I was out shooting yesterday afternoon - though I will admit it was cold. But I had to get out of the house.
I'm probably going to hit the range again this afternoon after I walk the dog.
what i wonder about also - is it even worth trying to use TAC on those 168gr .308 bullets, or go straight to varget?
i have now about of 14lbs of varget total, but still also have 4lb of TAC. and 4lb of CFE223 as well. kinda would be nice to use it all up on something too.
my .308 AR10 is not of best quality - just a wilson - so i wonder if it is even worth wasting varget on it. with varget i get a really good 69gr .223 load for my good ARs.
and I also still have some AA2495 and AA2520. hmm. so many options.

what i wonder about also - is it even worth trying to use TAC on those 168gr .308 bullets, or go straight to varget?
i have now about of 14lbs of varget total, but still also have 4lb of TAC. and 4lb of CFE223 as well. kinda would be nice to use it all up on something too.
my .308 AR10 is not of best quality - just a wilson - so i wonder if it is even worth wasting varget on it. with varget i get a really good 69gr .223 load for my good ARs.
TAC works, but isn't the best for SD/ES.

TAC works, but isn't the best for SD/ES.
in my measurbating sessions in november i had confusing results from TAC.
like this sample - the group was ok-ish, but the stats were: ES 120, SD 39.

Still, if it will be shooting that .308 with same groupings it will be just fine. I guess i will give it a try.
looking back at the CFE223 results on the 69gr .223 groups were much more inferior, but i do not know if it is correct to even try to transpose those results to how 168/177 gr .308 would behave.

1642965666199.png

that was actually a more interesting test - with the TAC, 8202, CFE223, AA2520 and varget.
same story with TAC on the sample 1 - horrific ES/SD - but a decent enough group.
with proper prepping all current varget loads i have do mostly a 10-15 SD and i got good consistent groups there.

still, both TAC and CFE223 - like in sample 9 - was also grouping OK.

IMG-1069.jpg

Nice!
Oh come on! I was out shooting yesterday afternoon - though I will admit it was cold. But I had to get out of the house.
I'm probably going to hit the range again this afternoon after I walk the dog.
Wow. Today was the first time I forgot to put my earmuffs on when shooting…
Shot a full house 357 mag loaded with 2400 powder under the roof/overhang…ouch!! That was absurdly loud 😂😭
I was so pissed at myself

Shot a full house 357 mag loaded with 2400 powder under the roof/overhang…ouch!! That was absurdly loud 😂😭
Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen there, done that.

Loaded up 147gr FMJ with BE-86. Also loaded the rest of my 38 special. I think I need to tear down and rebuild the 650. The cases are not dropping into stage one and I am getting missed rotations on the primer wheel. Is there a good youtube that details that?

Anyone know of load data for 124 coated cone nose with Silhouette, TB, 244, or N320? All of my test loads were slower than Biden's cognitive skills when I tested them Saturday. I really need more bullseye.

Loaded up 147gr FMJ with BE-86. Also loaded the rest of my 38 special. I think I need to tear down and rebuild the 650. The cases are not dropping into stage one and I am getting missed rotations on the primer wheel. Is there a good youtube that details that?

Anyone know of load data for 124 coated cone nose with Silhouette, TB, 244, or N320? All of my test loads were slower than Biden's cognitive skills when I tested them Saturday. I really need more bullseye.

That 124 grn - 9mm?

4064 + 308 = pure awesome!

Excellent choice.
it is rather impressing how fast powder goes with those .308 loads - i got a ladder done just now for CFE223, from 44.5 to 47.5gr - it used up almost whole pound.
as of 4064 - i do not see it in any recommended loads for 168gr, i presume it is ok for 178?

it is rather impressing how fast powder goes with those .308 loads - i got a ladder done just now for CFE223, from 44.5 to 47.5gr - it used up almost whole pound.
as of 4064 - i do not see it in any recommended loads for 168gr, i presume it is ok for 178?
IMR provides 168 gr loads for 3031, 4064, and 4895 in the Hodgdon Reloading Data center

in my measurbating sessions in november i had confusing results from TAC.
like this sample - the group was ok-ish, but the stats were: ES 120, SD 39.

Still, if it will be shooting that .308 with same groupings it will be just fine. I guess i will give it a try.
looking back at the CFE223 results on the 69gr .223 groups were much more inferior, but i do not know if it is correct to even try to transpose those results to how 168/177 gr .308 would behave.

View attachment 568284
24.3 gr Varget 69 Barnes Match Burners in an AR heavy barrel 5 shots @ 100yds cover with a dime. Varget is my most accurate powder in 5.56/308.

24.3 gr Varget 69 Barnes Match Burners in an AR heavy barrel 5 shots @ 100yds cover with a dime. Varget is my most accurate powder in 5.56/308.
I want to save varget for my precision.223 loads only. It is close to impossible to buy now.
So, will see if TAC or CFE223 will give me an acceptable accurate load for .308

Last edited:
Anytime your loading by the pound with rifle it goes fast.

FWIW TAC gave me some decent M1a and 308 M1 garand groups 43.5 gns with a 175gn match bullet. You can use that at your own risk in the semi auto rifles
I shot 2 cmp gold medal scores with it
Which basically is sub 3 moa with iron sights. Had a handfull of 1.5” groups shooting supported during testing SO might do well in a better platform and optics. If you have not noticed thats to hot of a load for my usual 200 yard plinking.
TAC has not been very usful in anything else. Im going to use what I have left on some random 308 bullets I found cleaning up.

Last edited:
Anyone ever use a Lee undersized resizing die?? I noticed during my last 357 mag reloading session that the neck tension was VERY minimal. I think its because I've reloading the same brass since 2013[laugh]
I guess the undersize die sizes brass between .002" and .003" below specifications
Figured it's worth trying just for shits and giggles. Curious if accuracy (at 100+ yards) will change
Got the die today. The increase in resistance while seating the bullet is noticeable. But not a HUGE difference.
Guess I’ll have to see if there’s any difference shooting. Kinda doubt it lol

Back
Top Bottom