What did you do in the reloading room recently?

My brother bought his first handgun last week. J frame 38. Made up 100 rounds for him to practice at the range with. Also ran 100 mire 45acp with my batch of once fired winchester brass 200 grain lswc and 4.6 bullseye. With the first batch of that I'm doing well at bullseye league.....1st place for Iron sight division after week 1. Also tumbled a huge batch of 45acp mixed brass and started another huge batch. Snowed in yesterday had to keep busy in the basement lolView attachment 570918View attachment 570920
It's already been said, but love the paper puncher holes!

I ordered some lead swc .45s a couple of days ago and they've shipped. I should see them this week. Even if I pay 12 cents for a primer (which I haven't yet) the cost of .45 ammo should be about $13.00 a box.
It’s cheaper than buying ammo but it sure sucks.
The ammo companies have figure out exactly how much the market will bare and I can’t see it changing unless there’s a serious down tick in usage.

I miss 3 cents a pop out the door. Now rimfire prices are catching up.

I’m taking up knitting

The ammo companies have figure out exactly how much the market will bare and I can’t see it changing unless there’s a serious down tick in usage.

I’m taking up knitting
If this keeps up any longer we'll have to start an NES dart league

Weighed every single of the 300+ .38 rounds I loaded.

Because I looked down and saw that the case I was about to put a bullet into had no powder in it;
and I knew that I had not looked carefully at every single one.

Got a baseline by weighing a primed case and bullet. Weighed a dozen, and set limits for empty/weak/ok/good.

When I was finished, I had eight that I thought were empty. I pulled them, and they were empty.
I pulled apart six of the ones that I thought were "weak" - they had powder in them, but on the low side.

Bagged the "weak" and the "regular" to keep them separate from the rest, and went back to loading.

IMG_0928.jpg

Because I looked down and saw that the case I was about to put a bullet into had no powder in it;

Got a baseline by weighing a primed case and bullet. Weighed a dozen, and set limits for empty/weak/ok/good.

When I was finished, I had eight that I thought were empty. I pulled them, and they were empty.
I pulled apart six of the ones that I thought were "weak" - they had powder in them, but on the low side.

Bagged the "weak" and the "regular" to keep them separate from the rest, and went back to loading.

View attachment 572022
What was the load? I find that with Titegroup in 9mm, the weighing isn't very helpful. I've pulled a few rounds based on weight and they all had powder in the correct amount. I've never weighed anything that seemed like a double charge. Although it does help to sort the cases as Blazer versus Winchester is a 3 gn difference

What was the load? I find that with Titegroup in 9mm, the weighing isn't very helpful. I've pulled a few rounds based on weight and they all had powder in the correct amount. I've never weighed anything that seemed like a double charge. Although it does help to sort the cases as Blazer versus Winchester is a 3 gn difference
.38SPCL, *mostly* Remington cases, Ruag primers, 147 grn XTreme bullets & 4.7 grns of TiteGroup.

I kept the "weak" and "regular" separated because I may have a squib or two among them. I won't use those for pins/plates, practice only. I was encouraged by the results of pulling the bullets, it backed up what the scale was telling me.

EDIT - 158 grn bullets; (147 are what I used to load for 9mm).

Last edited:
.38SPCL, *mostly* Remington cases, Ruag primers, 147 grn XTreme bullets & 4.7 grns of TiteGroup.

I kept the "weak" and "regular" separated because I may have a squib or two among them. I won't use those for pins/plates, practice only. I was encouraged by the results of pulling the bullets, it backed up what the scale was telling me.
Thanks....with plated bullets it really is no harm no foul for pulling them and just doublechecking. I use a mechanical powder cop but I have the same paranoia...hence I case gauge and weigh everything that comes out.

BTDT. I've made and found a couple of squibs that way. I don't remember ever shooting any squibs. I don't think I have. But once I realized I could make a squib through zoning out or whatever, I just got to where I'm always thinking about it.

BTDT. I've made and found a couple of squibs that way. I don't remember ever shooting any squibs. I don't think I have. But once I realized I could make a squib through zoning out or whatever, I just got to where I'm always thinking about it.
Absolutely zero distractions while reloading including the radio.

I’m taking up knitting
Have you thought about knife making? Asking for a friend.

I’m taking up knitting
Have you priced preban knitting needles
Or how about quality yarn! Oh boy

Even with the price increases your still ahead reloading , just have to jump at the inventory.
Rimfire has not been to crazy. Especially the higher end stuff.

Have you priced preban knitting needles
Or how about quality yarn! Oh boy

Even with the price increases your still ahead reloading , just have to jump at the inventory.
Rimfire has not been to crazy. Especially the higher end stuff.

It’s so hard to drop 3x the amount on components. I’m good in powder and have probably 2k pounds of lead but damn primers are always the sticking point.

It’s so hard to drop 3x the amount on components. I’m good in powder and have probably 2k pounds of lead but damn primers are always the sticking point.
Yeah, but thinking of it as 3x kind of suggests that one might wait for a better deal. Do you foresee a better deal in the next 3-4 years?

Yeah, but thinking of it as 3x kind of suggests that one might wait for a better deal. Do you foresee a better deal in the next 3-4 years?
The price of some high volume ammunition like 9 mm and 5.56 has come down since last year as it becomes more available. At some point, this should filter into primers (especially small pistol primers). Is it going back to 3 cents per primer? Doubtful (IMHO), but it may settle at 5-7 cents. I believe that anyone willing to pay .10-.20 per primer will probably be able to find better prices in the next year.

This is just my opinion and should not be construed as economic advice :)

The price of some high volume ammunition like 9 mm and 5.56 has come down since last year as it becomes more available. At some point, this should filter into primers (especially small pistol primers). Is it going back to 3 cents per primer? Doubtful (IMHO), but it may settle at 5-7 cents. I believe that anyone willing to pay .10-.20 per primer will probably be able to find better prices in the next year.

When it comes to shooting I will always lean back to 22lr for actual trigger time when things get rough or scarce.
If the cost of reloading is not good enough vs buying ammo then I will stock up on factory ammo.

I used to think so, too, but in 2022 I’ve been forced to factor in a macroeconomic analysis of the broader economic picture. I think we’re headed for an inflationary recession. Some of the overwhelming market forces that previously set the price are waning but are being replaced by more generic inflationary pressure. Obviously I don’t know how it will shake out, and .20 per is ridiculous, but I will be surprised to see stock levels rise to the point where manufacturers and vendors are really forced to compete with each other on price. I think prices will find a plateau and wait for inflation to catch up.

I used to think so, too, but in 2022 I’ve been forced to factor in a macroeconomic analysis of the broader economic picture. I think we’re headed for an inflationary recession. Some of the overwhelming market forces that previously set the price are waning but are being replaced by more generic inflationary pressure. Obviously I don’t know how it will shake out, and .20 per is ridiculous, but I will be surprised to see stock levels rise to the point where manufacturers and vendors are really forced to compete with each other on price. I think prices will find a plateau and wait for inflation to catch up.
Will the Federal Reserve follow through on their promise to tighten monetary policy? I have doubts but if they do hold fast and actually start to tighten, then inflation should come down. The less money sloshing around in the system should reduce demand. Stagflation is a concern, but looking back at the last bout with extremely dovish policy (2009-2011) inflation eventually came back down by 2013. We'll see.

Back
Top Bottom