What did you do in the reloading room recently?

I didn't know it was possible to blame the equipment for that, but I guess if the equipment is supposed to orient the primers the right way, maybe you can.

I cursed the Hornady hand primer that came with my press kit. That was a LONG time ago. Been using the Frankford Arsenal one for years. Generally speaking, I'm only annoyed that the primers sometimes form little arches over the feed slot, so I have to shake it a little as I go along to break those up.
If they're all in the tray the right way then you might reasonably expect them to stay that way. Yes?
Seems like there's too much room in the chute. Allowing primers to flip, roll, and just generally stack in a nonlinear manner.
I'm unimpressed. Probably should have gone with grip type.

No I’m not that fancy basically just checking for function and that they would hit paper haha.
4.1gr of titegroup 115rn
I run 4.2 gn of Titegroup for 115 gn round nose in a Beretta 92FS (4.9" barrel) and get 1115 fps...so looking back at my notes when I built this load, I got 1080 at 4.1 gns.

I have this fairly inexpensive chrono, utilizing a Manfrotto tripod (from photography):

Works better indoors than outside depending on the lighting and everything.

I run 4.2 gn of Titegroup for 115 gn round nose in a Beretta 92FS (4.9" barrel) and get 1115 fps...so looking back at my notes when I built this load, I got 1080 at 4.1 gns.

I have this fairly inexpensive chrono, utilizing a Manfrotto tripod (from photography):

Works better indoors than outside depending on the lighting and everything.
My buddy has a crono we just haven’t had a chance to get it out and try it yet

Looks like it was a typo but 22.9 of unique is probably too much for the case and definitely a kaboom.
Might want to edit that so no one takes it as holy writ some day.

Are you referring to the 44 mag I made? What concerns do you have? My reading says keep hard cast at 1200 or below. Lyman puts that at 1200 through a 5 inch barrel I'll be using a 4 inch barrel so should be under 1200
I think they will be ok. If fit is right. I run a plain base 170 out of my 357 rifles at around 1700 FPS

I would worry more about the H110 eating up forcing cones.

Scored a large bag of .44 240 lead projectiles but they are of unknown origin. What I mean is they may have been stored near heat as they are a little rough looking and tacky. Wondering if I can load as they are or maybe should clean them? What do you think?

Looking at these photos close up shows the gas seal ring gone?

E183D49D-2487-4469-A89D-693C8B4AA7F7.jpeg

0DA363A2-EF4C-4956-8F67-B93935D1D08D.jpeg

Scored a large bag of .44 240 lead projectiles but they are of unknown origin. What I mean is they may have been stored near heat as they are a little rough looking and tacky. Wondering if I can load as they are or maybe should clean them? What do you think?

Looking at these photos close up shows the gas seal ring gone?

View attachment 595290

View attachment 595289
I would find someone local that can lube size them for you or find some Lee Alox and tumble them in that. Let them dry and load them up.

I think they will be ok. If fit is right. I run a plain base 170 out of my 357 rifles at around 1700 FPS

I would worry more about the H110 eating up forcing cones.
My reading and personal experience with h110 and forcing cone erosion is that h110 with light projos is an issue. 240 grain is not the light side of 44 mag.....180 grain would be.

I had a forcing cone chewed up by a steady diet of 125 grain and h110 in 357 mag reloads. Ruger replaced the barrel for free.

Anyway.....

1. 240 isn't a light projo for 44 mag
2. I'm just testing some loads at this point just got this model 629.... and.... this gun won't be a weekly shooter......so I'm not terribly concerned with forcing cone issues.

My reading and personal experience with h110 and forcing cone erosion is that h110 with light projos is an issue. 240 grain is not the light side of 44 mag.....180 grain would be.

I had a forcing cone chewed up by a steady diet of 125 grain and h110 in 357 mag reloads. Ruger replaced the barrel for free.

Anyway.....

1. 240 isn't a light projo for 44 mag
2. I'm just testing some loads at this point just got this model 629.... and.... this gun won't be a weekly shooter......so I'm not terribly concerned with forcing cone issues.

Good. I don’t bother running h110 at all. Just not worth messing up my old smiths.

I had a buddy than ran H110 in a 44 vaquero with heavy bullets. His forcing cone looked like the moon. It’s was a mess.

I found 2400 gave enough real world velocity not to want to bother with h110

just finished up a few more match loads…. needed to restock after last weeks 1st Steel Match of the season… good to get that one out of the way and hope the rest of the season goes as smooth as that one did…

Attachments

• A1EA3945-6629-4EE9-8278-F56E4280423B.jpeg
    A1EA3945-6629-4EE9-8278-F56E4280423B.jpeg
    606.9 KB · Views: 3
  • B6E6176F-F393-430A-9160-CAE0EA3CE1B7.jpeg
    B6E6176F-F393-430A-9160-CAE0EA3CE1B7.jpeg
    613.1 KB · Views: 3
just finished up a few more match loads…. needed to restock after last weeks 1st Steel Match of the season… good to get that one out of the way and hope the rest of the season goes as smooth as that one did…

I know we upped the attendees but I think that was the smoothest one ever.

So need to clean them first?

Was thinking maybe a short vibratory session?

Nah no need. They might even have enough lube left for light loads but I would get some more on there if you can.

I know we upped the attendees but I think that was the smoothest one ever.

Nah no need. They might even have enough lube left for light loads but I would get some more on there if you can.
I couldn’t believe how smooth it went… wouldn’t have though that to be true…. We did change it to 5 stages… so I think that did help…. So for the time being we just do 5 “bigger” stages versus the 6 we were doing and people still shoot about the same amount of ammunition…
I’m just glad everything went smooth and everyone had a blast… it really showed as the next match filled up in a couple days.

I couldn’t believe how smooth it went… wouldn’t have though that to be true…. We did change it to 5 stages… so I think that did help…. So for the time being we just do 5 “bigger” stages versus the 6 we were doing and people still shoot about the same amount of ammunition…
I’m just glad everything went smooth and everyone had a blast… it really showed as the next match filled up in a couple days.

Yeah for sure. Now it’s time to find another match to host on off weeks. Gotta feed the habit.

Yeah for sure. Now it’s time to find another match to host on off weeks. Gotta feed the habit.
Well I’m glad you asked… there are other events especially for you 22 lovers, there is the PRS matches, they also have the Silhouette shoots… and if that isn’t enough for you I have a friend who actually shoots with us at the matches who is working on getting a Bowling pin 🎳 match started at another local facility he owns… we have made a practice run and it’s a BLAST!!! So stand by that’s coming too….

First 25 rounds made on my Dillon 550C. I've got a few new gizmos in mind to make things better once I really get comfortable with it, but I can already see the potential to fly through making rounds once I get really comfortable with it.
There is an old thread somewhere detailing press mods....tried most, some work well for me, some don't.

The 550 hits the sweet spot between speed and control.

Enjoy.

Well I’m glad you asked… there are other events especially for you 22 lovers, there is the PRS matches, they also have the Silhouette shoots… and if that isn’t enough for you I have a friend who actually shoots with us at the matches who is working on getting a Bowling pin 🎳 match started at another local facility he owns… we have made a practice run and it’s a BLAST!!! So stand by that’s coming too….
Ooo nice! Details on the website for the other matches?

Back
Top Bottom