What did you do in the reloading room recently?

Scored a large bag of .44 240 lead projectiles but they are of unknown origin. What I mean is they may have been stored near heat as they are a little rough looking and tacky. Wondering if I can load as they are or maybe should clean them? What do you think?

Looking at these photos close up shows the gas seal ring gone?

View attachment 595290

View attachment 595289
Those look fine, I would not hesitate to load them up if they are the correct size for your needs. If your worried about lube , tumble lube them and be done.

Good. I don’t bother running h110 at all. Just not worth messing up my old smiths.

I had a buddy than ran H110 in a 44 vaquero with heavy bullets. His forcing cone looked like the moon. It’s was a mess.

I found 2400 gave enough real world velocity not to want to bother with h110
Just made up 25 rounds with the 240 grain cast lswc with 11 grains unique to test as well. Unique seems like a better powder for these bullets but want to test with both h110 and unique.

Started breaking down the 650 to switch SRP…I should have bought two when they were like $375…I dread the changeover..
The thing great about 750xl is how fast the switch process is. 2 nuts to be unscrewed, switch 2 parts and back - 2 minutes.
Price is higher than 550 or 650 but all the incremental improvements are worth it.

Just made up 25 rounds with the 240 grain cast lswc with 11 grains unique to test as well. Unique seems like a better powder for these bullets but want to test with both h110 and unique.
I used to shoot that same load. Well with a 250 grain.
It was snappy enough to make you know you were shooting a 44 without beating up yourself or the gun

It was snappy enough to make you know you were shooting a 44 without beating up yourself or the gun
I do like most of the attributes of unique.....only thing is it does not meter as well as I like....I'm fussy and end up weighing each charge when using unique.

I do like most of the attributes of unique.....only thing is it does not meter as well as I like....I'm fussy and end up weighing each charge when using unique.
Yeah it needs the right measure. For what it’s worth I have found that a Lyman 55 measure works great for me. They usually come up cheap so it might be worth grabbing one.

Just shot a 50 round box of 45-70 with 405 a grain bullet and 12 grains of unique.
Light pop gun buy boy does it knock over the steel.

Just left the club. H110 and a 240 cast has a bit more recoil than using unique but not alot more. I'll stick with the unique once i shoot all these up. Accuracy was no difference. I'll save the h110 for jacketed bullets in my carbine.

Just left the club. H110 and a 240 cast has a bit more recoil than using unique but not alot more. I'll stick with the unique once i shoot all these up. Accuracy was no difference. I'll save the h110 for jacketed bullets in my carbine.
Nice.
Yeah the H110 should shine in a carbine.
I always wanted to try to power pro 300 MP
Load data for that’s seems too good to be true.

I need to find more unique. I have 2400 to last a lifetime but I would feel better with a keg of unique on hand.

Nice.
Yeah the H110 should shine in a carbine.
I always wanted to try to power pro 300 MP
Load data for that’s seems too good to be true.

I need to find more unique. I have 2400 to last a lifetime but I would feel better with a keg of unique on hand.
I'm of the opinion that for general range work unique is much more economical than h110. Sure h110 gives you a bit more velocity....and muzzle flash.....but at what cost? It takes double the powder charge than unique. For example in the Lyman manual the 11 grain charge of unique and a 240 cast lswc I should get 1100fps.......23 grains of h110 states 1200 for that same projo. 20220326_180954.jpg

Last edited:
I actually saw Bob P. at the range today and he filled me in. I might give it a try.

I'm of the opinion that for general range work unique is much more economical than h110. Sure h110 gives you a bit more velocity....and muzzle flash.....but at what cost? It takes double the powder charge than unique. For example in the Lyman manual the 11 grain charge of unique and a 240 cast lswc I should get 1100fps.......23 grains of h110 states 1200 for that same projo.View attachment 595633

I always felt the same way. As long as I have the magnum feel I’m happy. I don’t need to run the hottest loads out there.

Kind of like my buddy that always ran unique for his wadcutter loads in 38. He used about 50% more than he would with bullseye but he said he liked it so who’s to say he’s wrong.

I’m not a skinflint but if I can shoot twice as much for the same powder I’m happy to do so.

Scored a bunch of magnum brass at the range today. Amazing people leave this behind 😂
30 357 mag, 29 44 mag and 29 500S&W brass.
I don’t reload 500S&W but I couldn’t let it get scrapped.
That Corbon 500S&W ammo looks pretty warm!
Oh and they left behind a factory Magtech 44 mag round!
View attachment 595835View attachment 595836

View attachment 595837
Eh dame type of people who dont rven look for their Prov1 golf ball just grab another and swing away.
Some people cant be bothered and know poor folk like you will pick up their trash

Sounds like you just gave me permission to buy a 750…I accept your proposal..
it is all exactly like other people state- there is nothing there in 750 that a 550 or 650 cannot do. it is just made easier, and all those incremental improvements matter. with motorized case feeder it all helps to get through tasks fast, and it matters. and get 2 tool heads per caliber also:

So I made 223 for the first time since 2019, or possibly 2018. The hornady measure was accurate with IMR 4895, but it gets caught on the rods. Also used it with TAC and it was much better. Loaded 55gr sierra Blitzkings and Spitzers I bought from Riley's I think in 2016. I should save the containers as mementos.

So I made 223 for the first time since 2019, or possibly 2018. The hornady measure was accurate with IMR 4895, but it gets caught on the rods. Also used it with TAC and it was much better. Loaded 55gr sierra Blitzkings and Spitzers I bought from Riley's I think in 2016. I should save the containers as mementos.
Still have my Riley's customer rewards card. Probably should have used the points on that one...

I did an inventory/audit of ammo and reloading supplies. I need to catch my reloading supplies up to my powder quantity...
Only thing I could use now is some magnum pistol powder for my 44 mag loads. Got like a half pound of H110 left. Thinking about trying something new like AA9 as that's available from numerous online vendors at the moment.

Only thing I could use now is some magnum pistol powder for my 44 mag loads. Got like a half pound of H110 left. Thinking about trying something new like AA9 as that's available from numerous online vendors at the moment.

I like using 2400 for 357/44 Magnum loads. It's not easy to find these days and I'd offer trade some for SPP but I only have 2 lbs of it and I'd like to hang onto it.

I like using 2400 for 357/44 Magnum loads. It's not easy to find these days and I'd offer trade some for SPP but I only have 2 lbs of it and I'd like to hang onto it.
I got almost 8 pounds of 2400 and it's only being used for 357 magnum. The vendor in the valley had 2400 about a month or so ago but I didn't grab any - mainly because it was 4 or 8 pound jugs if I recall and I don't need that much.

Edit: nevermind looks like they had 1 pounders only, back on 2/28

Never tried Ramshot Enforcer (or AA9), but it has been available. It’s been a long time since I was looking into it, but I want to say it’s the same as some other AA powder. AA4100?

I got almost 8 pounds of 2400 and it's only being used for 357 magnum. The vendor in the valley had 2400 about a month or so ago but I didn't grab any - mainly because it was 4 or 8 pound jugs if I recall and I don't need that much.

Edit: nevermind looks like they had 1 pounders only, back on 2/28

I've never bought from the Valley. I setup an account there yesterday and will start keeping an eye on them.

I have a lot of H110 for M1 Carbine. I also have some IMR 4227. While not ideal either one can be used for 357 so I wasn't going crazy trying to find 2400. I was in Riley's right before they closed shop and they just happened to have 2 1 lb. bottles of the 2400 so I grabbed both of them. I still have about 250 357 loaded so I haven't bothered to change the press over to load any up since I got the powder.

Last edited:
Never tried Ramshot Enforcer (or AA9), but it has been available. It’s been a long time since I was looking into it, but I want to say it’s the same as some other AA powder. AA4100?
Enforcer was the other one I had seen that is available. The Ram has it listed for $24 per pound which surprised me. Yup Enforcer is the same as AA4100

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom