• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What did you do in the reloading room recently?

Made a low tech powder measure for Trail Boss in .45 Colt. I just switched from TG to TB for that caliber and the latter doesn’t meter for shit.
5378FCB4-30DE-4055-96C9-C0A868E0E219.jpeg
Also made 750 9mm and will be randomly practicing for Walls of Steel in June. What sucks is I’m pretty sure I have tennis elbow from shooting and work related stuff. It’s painful to shoot at this point and I’m looking up remedies.

Made a low tech powder measure for Trail Boss in .45 Colt. I just switched from TG to TB for that caliber and the latter doesn’t meter for shit.
View attachment 485560
Also made 750 9mm and will be randomly practicing for Walls of Steel in June. What sucks is I’m pretty sure I have tennis elbow from shooting and work related stuff. It’s painful to shoot at this point and I’m looking up remedies.
I hear you on the Trail Boss... that powder is not fun... I hope your elbow feels better... I’m also heading to Walls of Steel at Wallum in June. I can’t wait to go it’s always an awesome time, they always put together a great steel match!
Maybe I’ll see you there!

View attachment 485560
Grab a Lee perfect powder measure.
mine works great with Trailboss.
The new ones look slightly sturdier than the one I have.
Amazon product ASIN B000NTMJLGView: https://www.amazon.com/LEE-PRECISION-90058-Perfect-Measurer/dp/B000NTMJLG/ref=sr_1_1?crid=34RYIN6T2EJ00&dchild=1&keywords=lee+perfect+powder+measure&qid=1621859121&sprefix=Lee+perf%2Caps%2C182&sr=8-1

Last edited:
View attachment 485560
I've been using TB in .45 Colt for the past few years (thousands of rounds). No problems metering out of the Lee Autodrum so far.

I tried using the RCBS unit that came with the master kit I bought years ago and it won’t even allow me to work the lever with TB. No biggy as I don’t shoot a ton of .45 Colt so I’ll just dip it by hand just like I do with .308.
Yeah I’m excited for Walls again. I won’t be shooting much between now and 6/12 just to let my arm rest. Stretching, ice, and exercise is the plan.

I'm going to miss walls for the first time in about 5 years.
Man, what an event.
Most fun you can have with pants on.
I had originally signed up for Sunday. Registered the day registration opened so I could be on the same squad with a bunch of buddies from the Cape. Last night my sister sends me a text saying my nephew’s high school graduation party is that same Sunday. Shit. Went to the management page and saw there was one spot left for Saturday a.m. squads. Nice!
Don’t mind being on a squad full of strangers because there’s less pressure to do my goodest. ;)

View attachment 485560
I make custom dippers from spent cases, epoxy dowels onto the case. I also have used duplicate lee dippers to modify , either press a case that fits inside the lee or add epoxy to take up some space.

Loaded up the 100 240 gr XTPs with H110. I’ve got so much 44 mag 😂. I need to keep shooting the desert eagle.

Also if anyone is looking for 2400 powder, a vendor who ships to MA has 4lb jugs in stock. $99.51. Shoot me a PM if you don’t know which vendor.

Edit: sold out.

Last edited:
Ran 100 each 45acp. 200 grain cast lswc and 4.6 bullseye.

Had these cast swc under the bench for about 2 years. Running down to my last 1000 zero brand lswc saving those for more precise work.....these are for plate smacking tomorrow afternoon so "they'll do" lol

I hear you on the Trail Boss... that powder is not fun... I hope your elbow feels better... I’m also heading to Walls of Steel at Wallum in June. I can’t wait to go it’s always an awesome time, they always put together a great steel match!
Maybe I’ll see you there!
I've also heard trail boss meters like shit and isn't fun to work with. What's the draw toward using it? Guess I'm asking what pro is that outweighs the cons.

Yesterday was a bonus day in the reloading room. I had already packed and moved reloading hardware. Yesterday I was packing up the cabinet of reloading components. The bottom floor level shelf was shotgun supplies. Tucked way in the back behind three boxes (3000) shotgun primers was a hidden jackpot.

2200 Rem 7 1/2 small rifle br primers
1000 Rem 9 1/2 large rifle primers
1100 win large rifle primers
1100 cci small pistol primers
500 cci large pistol primers
500 cci br4 primers

woo hoo!

Last edited:
Wow - the primer mother load.

9mm 115gr Hornady XTP JHP
Alliant Sport Pistol (50) 4.1 gn (50) 4.3 gn
Federal #100 SPP
(50) Once fired Sig brass, (50) New Sig brass
COL 1.115 ±0.002

Just experimenting (still a load/reload beginner) - now a total of 155 live rounds through the press. Yes, I'm taking my sweet tine.

My first 50 reloaded rounds (4.5 gn) were shot last night. They all hit a paper plate at 25' - so something is working correctly.

I can't say enough for that LNL power drop. I read some bad reviews on the optional micrometer metering insert (not worth it / setting creep) - but so far so good here.

BTW - next PSC event is a Bowling Pin Shoot, June 6 from 9am - 3pm. I suspect there won't be many revolvers, but I might give it a shot.

I've also heard trail boss meters like shit and isn't fun to work with. What's the draw toward using it? Guess I'm asking what pro is that outweighs the cons.
It’s ideal for making cowboy action shooting-level loads. As in very light mouse fart loads. I have several guns in .45 Colt that I like to just plink steel with and occasionally do CAS events. One of them is an 1858 clone with a conversion cylinder so that gun gets very mild loads only.

Yesterday was a bonus day in the reloading room. I had already packed and moved reloading hardware. Yesterday I was packing up the cabinet of reloading components. The bottom floor level shelf was shotgun supplies. Tucked way in the back behind three boxes (3000) shotgun primers was a hidden jackpot.

2200 Rem 7 1/2 small rifle br primers
1000 Rem 9 1/2 large rifle primers
1100 win large rifle primers
1100 cci small pistol primers
500 cci large pistol primers
500 cci br4 primers

woo hoo!

I've said it before.... and I'll slurr it again

Its sucks getting older and forgetting things.

But sometimes i stumble across a stash in my own home, that makes me realize that younger me ..... had a pretty darn good stock-up plan.

Whenever that happens, younger you, or younger me ... always deserves a free drink (or 2) .... on the house.

Picked up one of these last night on my way home from work.

Loud (sounds like a freaking lawn mower) but I'll tell you what - I used a 3-1 ratio by weight of walnut shells for 2 hours and it did an amazing job. I'd be interested to know what others use for a media/cases ratio, time duration, and how often the media is changed.

It now has a (peace and quiet) home out by the workbench in the garage. :cool:

Needing to get a small base die to resize a bunch of range pickups. Should I go with a body die or full length small base? Seems the body die will add an extra step down the road, or am I missing something.

To above post. Full length small base on the die.

I just finished 1k 9mm. Starting the 2nd k and switched from old Winchester SPP to Federal SPP. I'm all the sudden getting sideways seating occasionally (using SDB). I checked the press and the brass. I'm 99% sure it's the primer cups are slightly different. Fortunately this us my last outlier brick. After it's done I'm back to my beloved CCI400s.

Back
Top Bottom