• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What did you do to your firearm today.

...Personally I go with the SBR, not because of some legal games, but because I will not be the kind of person who lies to themselves and others by calling it a pistol when in fact it is and I want an SBR, even though everyone is "in on it". It just seems dishonest to me. Oh, and I like having a vertical front grip. And even though I'd call my SBR mid-tier, the $200 is little more than 10%
Unfortunately, going the SBR route isn't an option for those of us in RI, since all NFA firearms/items are illegal. So for now, my (former) pistol, converted to a carbine, will remain a carbine until...and if...this ruling becomes "permanent".

Frank

Dressed up my stock Sig P365XL.

Original FCU and orginal slide with a Holosun HE507-GR X2 mounted on it.
I have added a True Precision satin stainless threaded barrel to the slide and sat it all on top of a Grey Guns laser sculpted grip module in "sniper grey".

I am in suppressor-less MA so beyond looking cool the threaded barrel's advantage is limited to adding a little more rifled length, which is a practical benefit. I suppose also I could use one of True Precision's screw on compensators but I don't imagine them as having much noticeable effect.

The grip module looks very nice, is based on a modified Sig factory part so it fits my current holster, and it feels very good in the hand.

6bHZ8Mu.jpg

🐯

Last edited:
This a continuation from this post in the Deals & Steals thread where the sale on these slides and barrels is posted.

Finished fitting out the slide, except for sights for which I have a set of TruGlo Tritium-X sights on the way.
Those V-shaped cuts back into the slide either side of the barrel (below the beveled corners) make for a really cool look as they expose the barrel.

XEAmXuM.jpg

The GGP (Grey Ghost Precision) slide completion kit I used is kind of pricey but the quality is excellent. The striker, striker safety, extractor, and extractor plunger are all machined 17-4PH stainless.

You can just see their red colored striker sleeve in front of the striker here, that polymer seems harder than the generic black parts in other kits. Their channel liner is naturally made from the same red material and it slid in with just moderate finger pressure, although I did give it a light tab with a hammer and channel liner tool to make sure it was seated.

Their striker spring cups are also that same red polymer. Pro tip: If you have one of those Real Avid armors blocks put the striker and sleeve into that larger hole at the front and hook the striker on the edge, it will hold the striker in place while you depress the spring and install the cups (super easy).
That polymer guide rod assembly that is installed is one I had on hand, however I will replace it with a Wolf stainless steel one when it arrives.

zIzVX2J.jpg

For the time being I do not plan to put an optic on this slide, and in fact the sights I have coming are standard low height. So I picked up the aluminum cover plate you see installed into the RMR pattern cut on the slide. It was $10 on Amazon. I would give you the link but apparently this brand, MUUP, is no longer available, a shame you will have to roll the dice with some other Chinese nonsensical letter combination brand (there are lots).

The cover fit perfectly and the supplied screws worked no problem. Added a little blue Vibra-Tite gel, the absolute easiest thread locker to work with (in a pump bottle).

One note, I did have to pop into the True Value in Ashburnham and get a precision TORX screwdriver set for $12. The screws were T-9 and the smallest bit I had was T-10.

WcVIxZt.jpg

The GGP completion kit also comes with a skull logo laser etched aluminum back plate, so you too can look like a dangerous operator.

gHVBb6W.jpg

🐯

Last edited:
20240104_095956.jpg
Centered the rotary table on the bridgeport

20240104_115827.jpg

Cut and mounted the slide so I could adjust for a 7" radius to match the red dot I was going to mount on my HK USP 40c.

20240104_133031.jpg
Found out why no one runs a red dot on one of these when I cut into the pocket for the firing pin retainer etc. Luckily I had purchased a second slide off Ebay to attempt this mod so no matching slides were injured only my ego and $100 or so.

I could mill picatinny rails in the side and use the mount that came with the red dot and counter bore the mount but right now I'm not so sure it is that important to me.

20240114_094938.jpg
On the upside the Wolff springs and O.E mag bodies left me with some functioning mags for another project. Left spring is the spring for an aftermarket mag, which to date, I have replaced the mag body and spring so the follower was usable. I usually shy away from aftermarket mags but that was what was available so I gave them a try. I just Happened upon the O.E mag bodies.

Today I bought and installed a Holosun EPS Carry MRS Green onto the P365 X Macro-Comp.

This will be my first time running an optic on an every day carry gun. Previously I've only run dots on my USPSA rig and rifles. I'm really looking forward to getting it out to the range tomorrow to dial it in.

I've got a Streamlight TLR7A on the way, now I just need to track down a new AIWB holster to accommodate the future light.

Funny but I was trying to grab my Les Baer out of my safe to go to a match and the battery in the lock died. I had my new Wilson in the car already but hadn't shot it in earnest since it came back from Wilson. So I went to the match with a totally untested gun. It shot ok with one failure to go into battery but that might have been ammo related and two high primers.

20230904_100040.jpg

Last edited:
Funny but I was trying to grab my Les Baer out of my safe to go to a match and the battery in the lock died. I had my new Wilson in the car already but hadn't shot it in earnest since it came back from Wilson. So I went to the match with a totally untested gun. It shot ok with one game to go into battery but that might have been ammo related and two high primers.

View attachment 839228
curious, what's the load you're shooting?

Had a fun late morning/early afternoon tinkering with a bunch of guns. Sighted in the Holosun on my 940, installed a Sparc and sighted it in on my M4 Machine Gun, got my new Vortex Diamondback Range Finder working (Nice unit) and loaded up a bunch of mags from my last range visit. Now I just need to make it to the range and try out the new sights.

Just installed a Grey Guns short reset kit I got for my dad for his birthday on his "Wick stick" P30L. All and all install wasn't too bad, I had an issue with the sear spring where halfway through the install I noticed it was broken, whether it was me or was already like that, I'm not sure. So I replaced that with an "Enhanced" nickel coated one from HK parts.
Feels great with a noticeably shorter reset. He'll be happy with it!
gnDzmh5.jpeg

Also finally got my l1a1 back to its former glory this past weekend. Got the barrel back, installed it and set head space. All seems well. Just need to test fire. Very excited about this one!
emv6173.jpeg

Lastly refinished some fal mags this week as well. Sand/glass bead blasted them. Then did a couple soaks in the Oxpho blue water solution that has yielded great results for me.
First two, came out a nice dark black, the next day 3 more and for whatever reason they came out a dark Grey/green I'd swear they were parked. Didn't do anything differently, maybe just the solution sitting over night and cooling down as i had it hot to start? Regardless I actually really like it.
Have four more to do so we'll see how these turn out.
pECOMPi.jpeg
Oa1l6ML.jpeg
uSDx5m5.jpeg

Last edited:
A good friend of mine recently picked up an old A2 for a “smoking good deal” asked me to install a muzzle device as the original was missing and to go through it to see if everything was good to go. First problem, no disconnector in the FCG, but an easy (and odd) fix. Last problem, the barrel threads were cut to 14x1mm LH threads (confirmed using a die cutter I use for AKs) which was very odd. Checked the chamber and barrel markings to ensure it wasn’t a 5.45 barrel, but sure enough it’s a 5.56. Turned down the original threads then recut to 1/2x28. “Smoking good deal”, my rear end.

Also installed a Larue MBT 2-stage trigger and a POF ambi- safety lever in my FDE build.

IMG_9441.jpeg

Old school vs. new school

Last edited:
Well, I'm not liking the trigger. A little to long. But, I have to order another thumb safety, so I guess I'll order a different trigger.

The extreme engineering kit is sweet though. Never a disappointment.

On fal kick lately.
Got a kit for my last receiver currently.
Israeli light barrel to pair with my heavy barrel.
Should be an interesting one as I have to press the gasblock on a barrel for this one, first time doing that. Came off the old stub pretty easy so thats a good start. Fingers crossed. Then the fun of soaking all the cosmoline out of the wood.
kpRtp2g.jpeg

Slow day at work yesterday so got her all together already. And people say Ar's are easy!
Pressed the gas block on the correct for the build lugged argentine barrel.
0vxdW8d.jpeg

Next, getting the barrel installed and timed with the timing rods.
rFZpyT9.jpeg

Then set headspace with gauge pins and go no-go gauges. And after that just swapping all the little bits over.
All that's left is clean the wood up some and then test fire. Very happy with this one!
YRhG5IF.jpeg

That looks great!
He's come a ways, some of his first offerings were pretty iffy.
They do great work, I was super impressed with the quality. Also they offer a steep discount for those who bought their earlier stuff and want to send it back to either have it reworked or remade

Added a Surefire Dual Fuel Turbo, DS00 tail cap, unity hot button, kac finger stop. Still waiting for an optic

Attachments

• IMG_2624.jpeg
    IMG_2624.jpeg
    778.8 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2629.jpeg
    IMG_2629.jpeg
    703 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2628.jpeg
    IMG_2628.jpeg
    667.9 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2630.jpeg
    IMG_2630.jpeg
    468.4 KB · Views: 18
Bought a Brownells BRN-180S Gen2 upper and today I set up to install a muzzle device (VG6 Epsilon SL brake) only to find out that my Magpul Bev Block would not work. Lugs on the Bev Block would not fit into (engage) the barrel extension.

So it looks like I will have to remove the hand guard and clamp the barrel in blocks, but that means a different set up and so will have to wait till tomorrow. That’s OK because turns out I would have to get 3/4 of a revolution down onto the crush washer to properly time the brake, so I am now considering switching it out for precision shims.

🐯

Bought a Brownells BRN-180S Gen2 upper and today I set up to install a muzzle device (VG6 Epsilon SL brake) only to find out that my Magpul Bev Block would not work. Lugs on the Bev Block would not fit into (engage) the barrel extension.

So it looks like I will have to remove the hand guard and clamp the barrel in blocks, but that means a different set up and so will have to wait till tomorrow. That’s OK because turns out I would have to get 3/4 of a revolution down onto the crush washer to properly time the brake, so I am now considering switching it out for precision shims.

🐯
I've got the BRN-180 in 223, 300, and 7.62 but I want to build one in 500 Beowulf. I'm an absolute amature when it come to this so I though you or others might have some idea of the challenges. I know the springs will need to be custom, and the barrel will need to conform to fit the gas block, otherwise can a more or less standard barrel be used? The bolt should be OK, but even if it's not, the bolt is one of the very few parts on the BRN that's supposed to be "standard" AR, that and the firing pin.

Anyone have any thoughts on this crazy idea.

Back
Top Bottom