What is your "Long Range" Rifle Platform?

Are there steel targets there? Supplied by the club?
I ask the questions because nobody is coming up with any answers as to where this is.

If it is indeed Granby then yes and then I’d also understand some of the rules, due to the legal work that went into opening. Well, re opening. And then the rules would also make sense in terms of gun ignorant MA idiots dictating them.

If it is indeed Granby then yes and then I’d also understand some of the rules, due to the legal work that went into opening. Well, re opening. And then the rules would also make sense in terms of gun ignorant MA idiots dictating them.
Unfortunately there are too many morons that can't shoot, so I can't blame a place like Granby for having those rules.

It rules out a lot of idiots. While it isn't ideal for people that want to shoot iron sights or BPCR, it is their range, their rules.

Unfortunately there are too many morons that can't shoot, so I can't blame a place like Granby for having those rules.

It rules out a lot of idiots. While it isn't ideal for people that want to shoot iron sights or BPCR, it is their range, their rules.

I don’t have skin in the game but I feel for you guys. At least Granby is back open tho.

For my 900y range, I just had to put 10/10 on a gong at 400y, which I did with 5.56 in my sleep. Now I shoot on my own with nothing but a radio in case they want to call a cold range since the 400y target intersects the 800y shooting lane. They need the radio bc there isn’t anyone within 1,000y of my shooting position.

IMG_7695.jpeg
IMG_7678.jpeg
IMG_7680.jpeg

Oh, and yes the cows roam freely. They trust us not to put a .308 in the wrong place. It’s a different place.

The owner is going to develop it and make improvements but he’s doing it the “right way” by jumping thru hoops and waiting for permits. 2,000sf building, improved shooting position, & bump the targets out to 1k with shot spotter. Time will tell, he’s a good guy tho. Doesn’t take shit and isn’t afraid to boot ass hats.

It’s sad that you wish so much for a club to fail. Especially since this club is actively trying to grow the sport of long range shooting.

If your gun (or you) are not capable of shooting that far then why the hell should you be?

We as shooters are responsible for every round that leaves our gun. We are also held liable for all the dumbasses who think they can just Kentucky holdover there shit to a grand.

You can't simultaneously claim to want your club to grow and then gatekeep people who are just coming in. Requiring proficiency at 1000 yards when some have never been able to shoot further than 300 is ridiculous. Show that you understand ballistics in it's most basic form, show you can operate your firearm safely, and if you never want to bother shooting further than 400 or 500 yards, why is that a problem? The lease is up in less than 25 years, hopefully they figure out before then, since they are down below 150 members, Was 300+ 4 years ago. They had a really healthy membership roll till the guy who can only shoot airguns alienated half the members for a vocal friend group.

I rather support one of the other two clubs, and I do.

I wish I was closer to a 1000 yard range.

Were the original caliber restrictions because the backstop/berm couldn't handle them? If so, then why not help come up with a solution or volunteer to build it up?

And let's be honest, the other requirements were probably put in place out of necessity from people who had done stupid things and put the club in jeopardy.

It was because .50 BMG is what got people's pants in a wad to begin with (neighbors who built homes in proximity to the range but built before there was any inkling of a 1000 yard range). .338 I can't speak to. To be fair to the neighbors, pre-long range when I am at my parent's place literally exactly 1 mile from the short range shooting line, I can't hear if people are shooting. The original range is dug into the side of a hill. Noise doesn't carry much. Since the long range, you can hear shots clearly, but not loudly. For the 20 homes ranging 1000 feet to 1500 feet away, I can imagine it's nuts.

Does the name have 6 letters, starts with a "G" and ends with a "Y"?

After all the BS they have been through, I agree with a few things and disagree with others. Like shooting 3 targets, the targets should be 100, 200 and 300 yards. The purpose should be to see if the person can handle the gun or is one of those morons that would show up to a car shoot and couldn't hit a car at 100 yards.

After they show they are competent, walk them out to 1K yards so they know the elevation required.

That is how Reading does it. Shoot at 200, then walk to 600 and they make sure you are on paper. They want to make sure you are not an idiot.

This would be the exact way I would think it would be done. Show due diligence, responsibility, and competence can come with time.

Or, just maybe, the club does not enjoy half inch holes in their expensive steel targets.

For qualification, club provides targets. Rest of the time, it's BYOT.

They spent more time fixing their own wiring because they had the "local club handyman" do the wiring for the shooting line and manage to do so badly a job, and continue to f*** it up, that not only was the range shut down for actual legitimate safety concerns, it was down for longer than the C&D order from the neighbors.

I guess I understand some of that, but why would they limit to 16x magnification? That seems very arbitrary to say the least.
My apologies, I wasn't specific - it was "minimum 16x scope"

Last edited:
You can't simultaneously claim to want your club to grow and then gatekeep people who are just coming in. Requiring proficiency at 1000 yards when some have never been able to shoot further than 300 is ridiculous. Show that you understand ballistics in it's most basic form, show you can operate your firearm safely, and if you never want to bother shooting further than 400 or 500 yards, why is that a problem?
??? I'm going to need that explained to me, I guess. Or maybe I'm misinterpreting what you mean.
Are you saying that in order to use the 1000 yard range, requiring a qualification process of people who have never shot beyond 300 yards is ridiculous?
Isn't that kind of like saying "I can ride a bicycle, so I shouldn't need a drivers license to drive a car".

EVERY 600 yard range I've shot on in New England (Reading, Nashua, Scarborough, Hampden) require a vetting/qualification process for the general membership to use it. There is simply too much money invested to jeopardize it by letting every AK-halfwit in the club blaze away. 50 cal and 338L will beat the hell out of impact berms. Impact berms need to be periodically rebuilt/refilled with ballistic sand.

Yes, to shoot beyond 300 yards. an understanding of ballistics is needed. Also correct equipment/ammo. Most shooters have neither.

You can't simultaneously claim to want your club to grow and then gatekeep people who are just coming in. Requiring proficiency at 1000 yards when some have never been able to shoot further than 300 is ridiculous. Show that you understand ballistics in it's most basic form, show you can operate your firearm safely, and if you never want to bother shooting further than 400 or 500 yards, why is that a problem? The lease is up in less than 25 years, hopefully they figure out before then, since they are down below 150 members, Was 300+ 4 years ago. They had a really healthy membership roll till the guy who can only shoot airguns alienated half the members for a vocal friend group.

It was because .50 BMG is what got people's pants in a wad to begin with (neighbors who built homes in proximity to the range but built before there was any inkling of a 1000 yard range). .338 I can't speak to. To be fair to the neighbors, pre-long range when I am at my parent's place literally exactly 1 mile from the short range shooting line, I can't hear if people are shooting. The original range is dug into the side of a hill. Noise doesn't carry much. Since the long range, you can hear shots clearly, but not loudly. For the 20 homes ranging 1000 feet to 1500 feet away, I can imagine it's nuts.

This would be the exact way I would think it would be done. Show due diligence, responsibility, and competence can come with time.

They spent more time fixing their own wiring because they had the "local club handyman" do the wiring for the shooting line and manage to do so badly a job, and continue to f*** it up, that not only was the range shut down for actual legitimate safety concerns, it was down for longer than the C&D order from the neighbors.

Most ranges make you qualify. I belong to Hopkinton and Harvard and I had to qualify at both of those rifle ranges before I can use it. I don’t have a problem with Granby making people qualify. You miss big at the 1000 yard range and your in a neighbors back yard. With what it took to get that range open I don’t blame them at all.

16x at the lower limit doesnt sound unreasonable esp if you dont have a spotter.
Most of that guy’s rant is silly. But I’d actually be using lower magnification (~12x evewithout a spotter. So I can actually see my hits if the wind isn’t what I estimated.

You could always attend a match there to obtain your rifle’s dope on the 1k yard range.

Really, your rant is like a 2/10. The min 16x was kind of silly, but they’ve changed it.

Are you certain the qualifying targets are 2 MOA? And at what ranges are they placed for the qualification?

Last edited:
Most of that guy’s rant is silly. But I’d actually be using lower magnification (~12x evewithout a spotter. So I can actually see my hits if the wind isn’t what I estimated.

You could always attend a match there to obtain your rifle’s dope on the 1k yard range.

Really, your rant is like a 2/10. The min 16x was kind of silly, but they’ve changed it.

Are you certain the qualifying targets are 2 MOA? And at what ranges are they placed for the qualification?
If one of the targets is at 1,000 yards, and it's a windy day, good luck with that.

Have a 1000 yard range in my town that for the longest time had some plainly stupid requirements and exclusions. No .338 Lapua Magnum, no .50 BMG, mandatory 16x power scope. They finally removed their head from their large intestine but have left it firmly in the anus, as they got rid of the caliber restrictions, the scope power requirements, but still require a scope, a range finder, bipod with rear bag, and a ballistic calculator with verified data. In order to be allowed to shoot at the range, you need to "qualify" which is being able to hit 3 targets at 3 different ranges 3 times with 10 shots at each range. The targets are 2 MOA. So if you don't have a 100% dialed in 1 MOA gun, you aren't going to be shooting there. Like iron sights for the challenge or just because? Can't shoot. Have a gun that exceeds the 300 yards of the normal rifle range but it (or you) can't reach out to 800+ yards. Not allowed to shoot.

All the down to earth people left there, and all that's left is a bunch of snobs. Some places deserve to fail. thankfully, 3/4 of the way through their 99 year lease on the land, then hopefully it can go to some one else.
-No 338 or 50bmg because the steel and stands aren't rated for it...yet.... Thicker steel is coming.
-Qualifications are to demonstrate your ability to understand, calculate, and demonstrate dope. Ballistic apps like 4dof are free.
-Lower level rifle line stretches out to 650 without a certification
-Irons are great but you are accountable for where they go and I don't know that it would be practical or safe at a grand but from the lower line you should be able to do well with it.
-range finder is a given with targets moving from time to time. If it were a fixed position it would be a different story but you should know how far a plate is when you send a round at it. I would say the bipod and bag are optional really but will yield more consistent results. Hell some just shoot off a tripod.
-If you can't hit a 2 moa target at 4/6/800yds you have no business trying to stretch out to further. Spend some time practicing to 650 on the lower line and then qual for the upper.

Are there steel targets there? Supplied by the club?
I ask the questions because nobody is coming up with any answers as to where this is.
the club supplies steel. There is actually a ton of it out there. At distance shooting smaller calibers lighter plates are used to allow for them to move when hit. They are going to get heavier steel for more energetic rounds ive been told.

Targets are at least 2 moa and distances are unknown til the day of depending on lighting and the ability for the spotters to see misses on a berm. You should be able to show up, be told a distance, compare that to a dope chart, and then engage those targets.

Targets are at least 2 moa and distances are unknown til the day of depending on lighting and the ability for the spotters to see misses on a berm. You should be able to show up, be told a distance, compare that to a dope chart, and then engage those targets.

It all seems reasonable. And it’s nice to hear the 650 yards is available at the lower level rifle line. Thanks for sharing all this info.

Slight pedantic pet peeve of mine though, it’s not DOPE until you’ve engaged those ranges with that rifle and ammo, and written down those data. If you’re bringing ballistic calculations, that’s a good starting point to get you real close or even first shot hits, but it’s not dope.

the 1k targets are a full size IPSC with a massive berm. Your elevation will be driven by your dope so the bullet should spash left and right of the plate if its super windy.
Oh, it’s a berm there now? When I went for a match last year, the little ~1k cutout back there was all vegetation and difficult to see missed impacts. Real fun though and I’m glad Granby is around.

It all seems reasonable. And it’s nice to hear the 650 yards is available at the lower level rifle line. Thanks for sharing all this info.

Slight pedantic pet peeve of mine though, it’s not DOPE until you’ve engaged those ranges and written down those data. If you’re bringing ballistic calculations, that’s a good starting point to get you real close or even first shot hits, but it’s not dope.
you aren't wrong but we know our MV, BC, environmental conditions, twist rate, scope height over bore, and we can take confirmed data from a 100yd zero, and an impact somewhere between 300-600 and extrapolate that out to just about any distance. You would then confirm that calculation and it would then go from theoretical dope to actual.

-No 338 or 50bmg because the steel and stands aren't rated for it...yet.... Thicker steel is coming.
-Qualifications are to demonstrate your ability to understand, calculate, and demonstrate dope. Ballistic apps like 4dof are free.
-Lower level rifle line stretches out to 650 without a certification
-Irons are great but you are accountable for where they go and I don't know that it would be practical or safe at a grand but from the lower line you should be able to do well with it.
-range finder is a given with targets moving from time to time. If it were a fixed position it would be a different story but you should know how far a plate is when you send a round at it. I would say the bipod and bag are optional really but will yield more consistent results. Hell some just shoot off a tripod.
-If you can't hit a 2 moa target at 4/6/800yds you have no business trying to stretch out to further. Spend some time practicing to 650 on the lower line and then qual for the upper.

Wait, that's why? then why in the world is .375 / .408 Chey Tac and .416 Barret fine?

News to me the lower range goes out to 650. When did that change? Or did I have one of the.... we can call them townies... lie to me back in 2010 when I had my membership? In either case, having accessible lines out to 650 obviously renders my previous points moot.

the airgunner still trying to get an LTC for the club?

to put all that rather silly qualification quarrel aside - how do the people shooting at granbys 1000yds deal with targets?
would everyone bring their own electric tracking system to be able to see the impacts, or people literally just shoot then drive down to targets to see the results, then drive back? it is probably not very crowded there, i would think, but, still, can be a pita, as i bet you cannot see much from a 1000, of where the impacts were.

or does club have any embedded targeting system there to rent or use? i would guess not?

i have an idea of what to try next time i get to a range - as i have several mavic drones, i think a mavic mini drone if placed on the ground nearby the target - it is unlikely it will get hit, but it should be capable to transmit the video of the target well enough, gotta try it. the bigger one, a zoom version would be even better, but i think even the small one should suffice - to see the bullet holes. when it just sits on the ground and not running motors its battery lasts quite a long time.
Its actually a big part of most clubs qualification stuff. You should have equipment on hand to see hits at the distance you are shooting at. Usually this is a quality spotting scope.

Last time I shot at Granby’s 1000 yard range I took the shot and then watched the steel through my scope to see if the target started swinging. Only way to tell at that range unless you have a target system. Hit it once and the steel swung some. Only way I knew it was a hit. You have a second or two to get the scope back on steel to watch as the bullet flies.

Back
Top Bottom