What is your "Long Range" Rifle Platform?

Where are people positioning their Lab Radars for braked rifles? What stand/tripod/method have you found the best too?

This. I do love the Labradar.

BUT you do want to get the external trigger that goes on rifle ( I have the rubber coated magnet - does mar rifle). The set up where you use the muzzle blast to trigger sensor to look for bullet was iffy, And you had to change location of where device was located based on barrel length and type of muzzle brake. That also put the unit in an awkward spot for activating or reading. Get the external trigger (short money) and all those issues go away.

Labradar always goes to range with me, and if I’m doing anything off the bench it’s being used.

I bought the external battery pack, but it may not be needed. I charge it every spring and I’m good.

I bought a surplus pelican case that houses unit, stand, battery, trigger cables, even instructions. Just one item to load in truck.

How sensitive is the lab radar to the direction/orientation of the rifle? If I pivot 10-20 degrees to engage targets, will that throw it off?

Yup. I've seen that. I think having it in slightly in front of the muzzle can be problematic.

My muzzle is always forward of the bench. Which means then I would need the LR on a decent height tripod., and it would need to be forward of the firing line too most likely.

Are people here tripod mounting their LRs?

Online it seems a lot of people either like the bench plate and use the remote trigger and place the LR back closer to the scope/action.
Or they like to use a quad pod or some setup an shoot from under the LR - again almost everyone says to get a remote trigger.

Yup. I've seen that. I think having it in slightly in front of the muzzle can be problematic.

My muzzle is always forward of the bench. Which means then I would need the LR on a decent height tripod., and it would need to be forward of the firing line too most likely.

Are people here tripod mounting their LRs?

Online it seems a lot of people either like the bench plate and use the remote trigger and place the LR back closer to the scope/action.
Or they like to use a quad pod or some setup an shoot from under the LR - again almost everyone says to get a remote trigger.
I use that little tripod they sell. I place it on the bench or the ground.

I attach the trigger to the rail I use for my bipod. Because the rail is not big enough for both, I place the rifle on a rest.

But, the trigger also has a magnet, so I could place it on the barrel or do what some people do, put a small piece of velcro on the side of the stock. You could even tape it to the stock, if you wan to be ghetto.

The trigger is very sensitive, so anywhere on the rifle should be fine. I use the app to "arm" and "disarm" before and after every shot, if not, closing the bolt could register an error reading - that is how sensitive it is. Doing this using the app is very easy, no need to go to multiple screens.

As far as your rifle being behind the LR and the firing line ... I would need to see your club set up. In many clubs, having the rifle a few inches behind the edge of the bench is not an issue.

Having the LR standing a few inches in front of the firing line also shouldn't be an issue, if you are worried someone else might shoot at it, you have bigger things to worry about.

How sensitive is the lab radar to the direction/orientation of the rifle? If I pivot 10-20 degrees to engage targets, will that throw it off?

I've found that it really only works well if the LabRadar is pointed at the same target you're aiming for. Deviate a little and it doesn't consistently pick up the shot. There is a V notch on the top of the unit to aim at the target you're shooting at. Some say that notch isn't easy to line up, but I've been fine with it. I've seen some people tape a toothpick into the notch to help with aiming.

I've found that it really only works well if the LabRadar is pointed at the same target you're aiming for. Deviate a little and it doesn't consistently pick up the shot. There is a V notch on the top of the unit to aim at the target you're shooting at. Some say that notch isn't easy to line up, but I've been fine with it. I've seen some people tape a toothpick into the notch to help with aiming.
If you're using commercial ammo, what does the LR gain you over just collecting dope?

I have been fine with the "V" notch. I place my finger over it, which turns it into a peep sight. No issues.

Some people tape a straw, others buy a sight some companies manufacture.

Why does shooting commercial ammo change the requirements?
I'm sure this reflects my ignorance. I assumed the reason we care about running ammo through a chrono was to be able to modify handloads to suit our needs.

If you can't change the ammo, I'd assumed it would be cheaper/easier/faster to get a handful of different commercial cartridges, test them against your firearm, then buy a case of the lot number that behaves best. With that, you'd record dope to work out your bring-ups at various distances. Velocity seems like an interesting number that's less important than downrange performance - with the exception that we can use it to calculate retained energy for hunting purposes...

I'm always happy to learn where I'm wrong.

It’s like most things: Achieving 80% is relatively cheap but getting the last 5-10% of performance is incrementally and often exponentially more expensive.

In this case, knowing the velocity for the first 100 yards or so as the temps are 95+, humidity is 70-80%, and pressure is fluctuating between sessions… actual velocities will vary from stated and initial observations enough to miss my 4” gong at 870y.

I'm sure this reflects my ignorance. I assumed the reason we care about running ammo through a chrono was to be able to modify handloads to suit our needs.

If you can't change the ammo, I'd assumed it would be cheaper/easier/faster to get a handful of different commercial cartridges, test them against your firearm, then buy a case of the lot number that behaves best. With that, you'd record dope to work out your bring-ups at various distances. Velocity seems like an interesting number that's less important than downrange performance - with the exception that we can use it to calculate retained energy for hunting purposes...

This makes a lot of sense.

If not reloading, it might make sense to borrow a LR after the OP finds the best commercial ammo, recording the velocity and getting his dope.

I don't shoot commercial ammo, that is beneath me (just kidding). But does the velocity change enough between lot numbers to make a big difference on dope? ... OP is not shooting F-class, doesn't need to put 10 in a quarter at 1K.

I agree with you, performance down range is more important. My ammo with SD of 7 performs better than my ammo with SD of 3. So I reload the other. But I am not as deep into the LR hole as some here, so I might be wrong.

you`re not. commercial cartridges muzzle speeds are also not going to be same in various barrels you may have.
as of LR - LR works same as my $130 cheap chrono - but due to the fact that it produces speed readings not only at the muzzle but at some initial distances - that makes it a bit more useful. a bit. how much to pay for a 'bit' is a personal preference.
I paid for:

1. Convenience. No need to ever walk down range.

2. More convenience. No need to depend on having enough light.

3. No missed shots. There is nothing that s*cks more than having a chrono show an error when testing new loads, now you have one less round for averages. While this happens with LR, it doesn't happen when using the trigger.

4. Ease of use with different guns. I need to start working on my BPCR loads again, thst is a lot of powder ejecting our of the barrel, same for 45/70 with smokeless, so a regular chrono will probably get messed up eventually.

Big blue, Rockrivr1 nailed the answer. If you use the V notch to generally point in direction of target it acquires projectile.

I never needed a chronograph ( although I had and used one) until I started shooting past 400 yards.

Then I was looking for three things. Average velocity, standard deviation, and extreme spread. (Avg Vel SD and ES)

when the system (ammo, rifle, shooter) are in sync my good rifles are 1/2 moa. If I put 3 moa ammo in my good rifle, it’s now a 3 moa rifle/ system Put good ammo in a crap rifle ( I have a Rem 700 in .223 that’s crap right now) it’s a 3 moa system. Put a second cup of coffee in me as shooter , my 1/2 moa just went to 1.5 moa.

The chronograph let’s me get a good handle on the ammo quality relatively independent of other variables. The chrono data is a starting point for developing dope, but gets your initial shot close to targets at longer distance.

I never needed a chronograph ( although I had and used one) until I started shooting past 400 yards.

Then I was looking for three things. Average velocity, standard deviation, and extreme spread. (Avg Vel SD and ES)

when the system (ammo, rifle, shooter) are in sync my good rifles are 1/2 moa. If I put 3 moa ammo in my good rifle, it’s now a 3 moa rifle/ system Put good ammo in a crap rifle ( I have a Rem 700 in .223 that’s crap right now) it’s a 3 moa system. Put a second cup of coffee in me as shooter , my 1/2 moa just went to 1.5 moa.

The chronograph let’s me get a good handle on the ammo quality relatively independent of other variables. The chrono data is a starting point for developing dope, but gets your initial shot close to targets at longer distance.

Thanks.

I’m trying to hit 4” steel gongs at 870y. IMG_7693.jpeg

Last edited:
you successful? 4" gong is a helluva sporty target for 870yds.

Not yet, that's why I need the extra help. I can hit the 10" gong that's more clearly visible in the pic with .308 Match but I need more 6.5C match and some tweaking for the smaller gongs.

Its good to have goals right? Ordered some FGMM in 6.5C too

Last edited:
Not yet, that's why I need the extra help. I can hit the 10" gong that's more clearly visible in the pic with .308 Match but I need more 6.5C match and some tweaking for the smaller gongs.

Its good to have goals right?
For sure, that's a tough shot. the entire target width is about 1/4 of your total wind hold with a mild 5mph cross breeze at that distance.

Big blue, Rockrivr1 nailed the answer. If you use the V notch to generally point in direction of target it acquires projectile.

So in the pic you can generally see the spread of targets. Do you think that notch is “wide enough” to accommodate those targets?

So in the pic you can generally see the spread of targets. Do you think that notch is “wide enough” to accommodate those targets?
The most honest answer is I don’t know.

If I were to speculate: Probably? My thinking is the Labradar acquires it’s data over the first hundred yards or so and the bullet flights are not that divergent at that point. The next time I’m at a longer range I’ll try. Likely be end July based on my schedule.

Back
Top Bottom