What weight gives best accuracy? . . .

What weight gives best accuracy? . . .

I have a question or two, please bear with me. I have jacketed hollow point bullets for protection use, etc.
What I’m wondering is what is the most accurate bullet for shooting with a 4 inch, 38-357 revolver?
The two weights I’m looking at are:

38/357 125 gr Flat Point (truncated)
9mm-115-FP.jpg

38/357 158 gr Flat Point (truncated)
38-158-FP.jpg
This will be used mostly for shooting outdoors at 25 and 50 yard distances. I have lead, hollow base wadcutters for indoor 50 foot ranges. So what would be more accurate the lighter or heavier? They are from the same manufacturer and are both “plated” so the weight is the only issue. Thanks.

It's all dependent on the entire load, not just one component.

Perhaps I haven't stated it correctly but if you worked the loads so both were at the best accuracy for that particular distance, which weight bullet would give the better accuracy?

All else being equal, which weight bullet would or does give the best accuracy? This is mostly for punching paper not so much for anything else. Thanks.

You have to shoot them in your gun to be sure. In your gun it could be the 125 and in someone else's it could be the 158.

A guy at S&W told me the 158gr bullet is what they use in their revolvers when they test them because that's what they were designed for.

You have to experiment - every weapon is different. What your revolver will shoot well depends on the weight of the projectile, the velocity, and the powder among other things. You have to pick one and make up some loads to find that 1 load that works.

Joe R.

i shoot 158's (flat base lead SWC) through my j-frame, and can consistently hit a 10" steel plate @ 25 yards with it. 3.9grains of Win231 behind Winchester small pistol primers.

works very well for me. with the 4" barrel you might be able to get away with something a little slower burning (powder), but that's all trial and error.

Back
Top Bottom