What's in your GSW/First Aid Kit?

More specifically what is in your Kit that you keep in your range bag? Do you have a GSW (Gun Shot Wound) kit?

I ask, because not many are prepared in case of an AD/ND while at the range. You honestly don't need much. You can have all this cool guy tactical medical gear, but having the knowledge how to use the equipment properly is far more important. While much of a basic kit consists of simple items. There are still proper and improper ways to use them, and it can directly effect patient outcome.

Here is an example of what I have in my range bag.
(2) 5x9 Trauma Dressings
(1) Roll 3" Kling (Rolled Gauze)
(1) Roll elastic bandage
(2) 4" "Isreali" Olaes bandages
(2) Chest seals (IV tegaderms)
(1) Roll Medical Tape
(1) NAR CAT Tourniquet

The TQ and the chest seals are the two major things you should be well versed on when and how to use them. I.E. Actual training.

TQs can not be placed on a joint, must be placed in a superior position to the wound and reassesed every 5 minutes until bleeding has stopped and then every 15 minutes thereafter. Immediate transport to definitive care is needed. Identification of a venous or arterial bleed is of the utmost importance. A venous bleed will be dark red oozing or gushing blood and an arterial bleed will be bright red spurting blood. A venous bleed can turn fatal in as little as 15 minutes, arterial bleeds can turn fatal in a few minutes and in certain cases a minute or under.

Chest at seals are for sucking chest wounds or suspected sucking chest wounds. basically the puncture/penetration into the chest cavity creates unequal pressure within the cavity and does not allow for proper inflation of the lungs and therefore breathing is compromised. Sealing it will help regulate. In most cases needle decompression is also needed but this is absolute a skill that must be performed by trained and competent personnel. Seals can be improvised, as long as it covers the wound and a proper seal is able to be made and maintained. Again, transport to definitive care is of the utmost importance.

Do do not take the incredibly brief synopsis for training!!! I'm posting this in hopes to get people to start thinking about this, get the right kit in their bag, and more importantly seek out the training and knowledge. I do not offer training, so please don't ask.

Feel free red to post your questions, comments or experiences.

For those looking to take a class, I highly recommend Dark Angel Medical... or the Bullets and Bandages class that they teach at Sig. They give you lots of good background and information. But they also cut through the crap and make it nice and simple so you can remember the major points. Let's see, something like: If the injury is to an extremity, TQ it. If it's in the "box of life" (the chest area) seal it. Anyplace else, pack it with gauze and put pressure on it. (apologies to DA Medical if any of that is wrong, it's just what I remember).

I took their class last year in Maine (a club up there organized it and I enrolled from the Dark Angel site) and it was excellent. Two days well spent, AND you get a nice kit.

I have no relation to these folks in any way. Just a satisfied student.

In my RANGE BAG? Bandaids. Not sure if I even have Neosporin. Wow. I guess I'd use some electrical tape from the car, or make a belt into a tourniquet. Never really considered this. Are you just talking about a "regular" range, or is this some sort of military thing?

I have a few Dark Angle Medical kits and like the set-up just glad I never had to use them. Took the Sig class years ago and later sponsored a class at the Stoughton Police Academy with EMT credits. Highly recommend the three day class.

I'm talking regular range. AKA you and your buddies are at your local range.

While a belt will work somewhat, it is incredibly hard to get the proper tension to truly control the bleeding. A t shirt folded to 2" wide and a sturdy stick for a windlass is more effective.

The belt was just a "for example". I bet I have phone cord or jumper cables or twine I could also use. Honestly, never really considered all this until now. The ambulance service in town is pretty quick here, and not too far away. I wonder if there is any sort of emergency kit at the clubhouse. I wonder if anyone has ever had an incident needing anything like this at our club. Interesting.

Here is an example of what I have in my range bag.
(2) 5x9 Trauma Dressings
(1) Roll 3" Kling (Rolled Gauze)
(1) Roll elastic bandage
(2) 4" "Isreali" Olaes bandages
(2) Chest seals (IV tegaderms)
(1) Roll Medical Tape
(1) NAR CAT Tourniquet

Quikclot is available OTC and should be part of any kit

Yeah....if you're at a range where the chance of an "oopsie" is that great, I'd find a new range. [laugh]

That said, most ranges in eastern mass (I see that you're in Western) are close enough to a hospital, or well-equipped EMTs that a cell phone, and direct pressure are going to be the best treatment.

Now, if you're an EMT/paramedic or Doctor, then a few more items might come in handy.

But, call 911 first.

Quikclot is available OTC and should be part of any kit

I have a ton of it. It honestly slipped my mind.

And those Leatherman Raptors are cool and all. But basic set of decent shears from NAR that are about $6 work just as well. In my opinion they are a disposable item. I honestly go through about 6 to 10 pair a year. If they get super bloody, I toss them or just leave them on scene.

The belt was just a "for example". I bet I have phone cord or jumper cables or twine I could also use. Honestly, never really considered all this until now. The ambulance service in town is pretty quick here, and not too far away. I wonder if there is any sort of emergency kit at the clubhouse. I wonder if anyone has ever had an incident needing anything like this at our club. Interesting.

A tourniquet should be at least two inches wide. Belt is your best option.

Wow, some of the responses here are amazing. The chances of me needing my gun are a lot less than me needing a tourniquet. Forget about the range for a minute, how about getting in a car wreck where there's no cell service, or the volunteer ambulance is 30 minutes away. decent medical training is cheap, and carrying a few things with you everywhere is so easy. This will save a life before your gun does, I can virtually guarantee it.

Yeah....if you're at a range where the chance of an "oopsie" is that great, I'd find a new range. [laugh]

That said, most ranges in eastern mass (I see that you're in Western) are close enough to a hospital, or well-equipped EMTs that a cell phone, and direct pressure are going to be the best treatment.

Now, if you're an EMT/paramedic or Doctor, then a few more items might come in handy.

But, call 911 first.

No offense man, but that is the wrong line of thinking. A reorganization of your brain housing group is in order. Just like in a situation where the quote "When seconds count, the police are minutes away" applies, so goes it with EMS as well. If your range is at the far reaches of the response area, someone has an active arterial bleed, your looking at a six to ten minute response time (conservative estimate), five to ten minutes scene time and that is if it's an "oh shit load and go", and another six to ten minute response time. Add all that up and someone could very easily have bled out.

As as far as what an EMT/Medic will use, I actually use less in the field. 5x9s, 10x30s, rolled gauze, and rapid transport. GSW are actually very easy to treat. They key is to stop the bleeding and rapid transport.

Wow, some of the responses here are amazing. The chances of me needing my gun are a lot less than me needing a tourniquet. Forget about the range for a minute, how about getting in a car wreck where there's no cell service, or the volunteer ambulance is 30 minutes away. decent medical training is cheap, and carrying a few things with you everywhere is so easy. This will save a life before your gun does, I can virtually guarantee it.

If I'm offshore on my sailboat I am at least 30-60 min away from medical care. My med kit will allow me to do anything short of brain surgery. (As long as I have connection to YouTube)

In suburban MA your local FD may be transporting Granny with a fainting spell to the local hospital so your 911 ambulance is going to come from the next town. It can be a long wait.

Last edited:
No offense man, but that is the wrong line of thinking. A reorganization of your brain housing group is in order. Just like in a situation where the quote "When seconds count, the police are minutes away" applies, so goes it with EMS as well. If your range is at the far reaches of the response area, someone has an active arterial bleed, your looking at a six to ten minute response time (conservative estimate), five to ten minutes scene time and that is if it's an "oh shit load and go", and another six to ten minute response time. Add all that up and someone could very easily have bled out.

As as far as what an EMT/Medic will use, I actually use less in the field. 5x9s, 10x30s, rolled gauze, and rapid transport. GSW are actually very easy to treat. They key is to stop the bleeding and rapid transport.

Do you have a recommended ready-made kit that you would use in a range or bug-out bag?

A tourniquet should be at least two inches wide. Belt is your best option.

This!

Yes, you will more likely need that than your pistol/rifle. Training is paramount. When your properly trained you can improvise.

Tampons, if they are good enough to for our troops in combat.....
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DONT USE TAMPONS! Troops overseas DO NOT USE THEM! The correct items are inexpensive, stop being cheap.

This article is great on why we need stop thinking they are an acceptable form of hemmorage control.
http://privatebloggins.ca/?p=1026

Get good training. I was an EMT-B and I learned a lot more as far as trauma stabilization goes from my Corpsmen in classes they kicked.

I keep a CAT in my range-bag, although the windlasses have been known to break and as such I hear the SOF-T and SOFTT-Ws recommended more often than not now. Also, don't train with the TQ you are going to use.

I've also heard good things about the OLAES bandages (similar to the Israeli bandage) and the newest quickclot gauze.

Mike

Do you have a recommended ready-made kit that you would use in a range or bug-out bag?

My personal opinion is to assemble one and only add item you know how and are trained to use.

But for a ready built GSW kit
http://www.lapolicegear.com/nar-ipok-patrol-kit.html?gclid=CN2cvvqiwcoCFU4WHwodqqsNNg

And any other small first aid kit will suffice. The caveat is to add a couple 5x9s and a couple rolls of gauze.

Not to be a broken record, but good training trumps all.

My personal opinion is to assemble one and only add item you know how and are trained to use.

But for a ready built GSW kit
http://www.lapolicegear.com/nar-ipok-patrol-kit.html?gclid=CN2cvvqiwcoCFU4WHwodqqsNNg

And any other small first aid kit will suffice. The caveat is to add a couple 5x9s and a couple rolls of gauze.

Not to be a broken record, but good training trumps all.

Good advice. I've been a CLS off and on for many years, so I'm familiar with the basics.

Saw this- similar to my issued IFAK. Thoughts?

http://www.voodootactical.net/p-2929-fully-stocked-military-ifak-individual-first-aid-kits.aspx

My post was about a range. Not a backwoods, or offshore excursion.

I have first aid stuff, but not in my range bag. And it's FIRST AID, not trauma. I don't have the training to go beyond the basics. And, unless it was a true arterial bleed, 911 is the first step, because once you start treating, you're delaying transport, etc.

I'm not saying that you should not be prepared, or know what to do with what you have.

I have first aid stuff, but not in my range bag. And it's FIRST AID, not trauma. I don't have the training to go beyond the basics. And, unless it was a true arterial bleed, 911 is the first step, because once you start treating, you're delaying transport, etc.

I'm not saying that you should not be prepared, or know what to do with what you have.

You don't need to be in the backwoods. I live in a city of 30k people, and within 10 miles of my house, I can find innumerable roads where there is little to no cell service, and EMS is at least 20 minutes away. Do what you want, but training is easy to get and cheap.

Good advice. I've been a CLS off and on for many years, so I'm familiar with the basics.

Saw this- similar to my issued IFAK. Thoughts?

http://www.voodootactical.net/p-2929-fully-stocked-military-ifak-individual-first-aid-kits.aspx

That is actually a great kit for the money!

If I'm offshore on my sailboat I am at least 30-60 min away from medical care. My med kit will allow me to do anything short of brain surgery. (As long as I have connection to YouTube)

In suburban MA your local FD may be transporting Granny with a fainting spell to the local hospital so your 911 ambulance is going to come from the next town. It can be a long wait.

if you can afford a sail boat, and spend extended amounts of time on it. Take a First Reaponder class. When the situation comes and you need that kit, I sure as shit wouldn't want to be relying on a shitty connection to watch a YouTube vid or be looking in a book. Nothing can replace training.

Trauma is more so a mechanism of injury. Applying TQs and hemmorage control is first aid. The very basic timeline I laid is a very really world suburban timeline. And honestly, I am being very generous in times, it will most likely take longer. Six to ten minutes on scene is an extremely short scene time. The fastest I've ever run a high priority trauma call was about 17 minutes. We were about 4 minutes away when we got the call, and literally 3 minutes away from the hospital. An assessment of the patient is key, it makes all the difference when it comes to patient outcome. The hospital can't treat it if they don't know what's wrong. We have to identify the problem ASAP.

Last year, on the Grafton side of Millbury I had an asthma attack, once I knew that I couldn't get my breathing under control I had my dad call 911 at the customers house we where at.
Took them a little over 6 min to get there. I passed out walking down the driveway to the ambulance as they pulled in. Hell of a way to find out your and asthmatic.

Point is when you need them even in a busy suburbon town they are still a good ride away, especially if it's you just laying there like I was.
Now I carry extra inhalers, and put together a nice med pack based off a friend who is a nurse in the Army and got the training I needed.

Jason.

If you carry a gun, you need to carry and train on the tools to treat a gunshot wound.

THIS

If you can male holes, you should know on a basic level how to deal with them. I studied for EMT-B back in the early 90's. Took the TECC Civilian First Responder last year that was hosted at Harvard and it was well worth the tuition--you should to.

To answer the OP's question, I vacuum sealed my own minimalist-type kit that is part of my EDC and fits in a cargo pocket:

1-5x9 pad
1-3" roll gauze
1-3' of duct tape
1-TK-4 tourniquet
1-pair of nitrile gloves

Range bag has the above plus:

1 z-fold gauze
1-4"IDB
1 quik clot 25g
1-HALO chest seal
1-EMT shears
and replace the TK-4 with a CAT