What's in your GSW/First Aid Kit?

Part of the safety briefing at the ConTact shoots, (USPSA or IDPA format club weekly match), is assignment of duty in case of accident:
person 1 - you call 911
person 2 - if person 1 is victim, you cover for them
person 3 - you go to the front gate to open it and guide responders in
person 4 - if person 3 is victim you cover for them

There's a first aid kit, with appropriate gear in it. Multiple members are trained in first aid.

That being said; that's all in Connecticut. I'm in Georgia right now, and I'll be shooting at different ranges, where I have no idea who the people are or what their protocols are with regard to accidents. I've got a first aid kit and some extra stuff that I know how to use but taking a course has been on my "todo" list for way too long. My "training" dates from boy scout days, and a couple of seminars taken since.

Maybe a "group buy" on a course would be a cool idea.

This....That's how we did it with a group of friends with Bill from TDG. He was super accommodating, a great instructor, and a blast to be in a class with. A group of us got together, worked out the cost and facility(a buddy's living room), and made it happen. Best training time I've ever spent. We're actually trying to get together for a practical/hands on day at the range, where Bill has promised to show us some real world trauma on porcine tissue. If you have some time, do some looking at Youtube for his videos on coagulant(Celox vs Quickclot) testing, they're fantastic.

I think the thing that really turned me on about the training with Bill was the fact that he "turned the gun around" and spent a good amount of time talking about what you need to to as a shooter to most effectively put someone out of the fight, totally destroying some of the closely held conventional wisdom on the subject. Also, Bill has a great mind for situational awareness and response to casualty, talking about the things he's seen and the mistakes he's made, coupled with some sobering insight to some mass casualty events around the world. Eerie shit. Talk to him, you won't be disappointed.

The belt was just a "for example". I bet I have phone cord or jumper cables or twine I could also use. Honestly, never really considered all this until now..

You really shouldn't use things like phone cords or twine as makeshift tourniquets. They are too thin and narrow, and will either break when tightened down or simply cut through your skin.

The purpose of a tourniquet is to apply pressure to the blood vessels to occlude blood flow. In order for that to happen, you need a relatively wide strap (~1-2 inches) and some way to tighten it down enough that the distal pulse is eliminated. During tourniquet training, you will learn just how tight a tourniquet needs to be by applying one to yourself and checking for distal pulse. The elimination of the distal pulse is the primary indication of whether your tourniquet is applied properly. I will say that the level of tightness required borders on painful. Modern emergency tourniquets have a windlass device that provides a mechanical advantage for you to cinch the tourniquet down properly. A stick can also be used as a hasty windlass with a belt or shirt when you need an field-expedient tourniquet.

Last edited:
I keep a CAT in my range-bag, although the windlasses have been known to break and as such I hear the SOF-T and SOFTT-Ws recommended more often than not now. Also, don't train with the TQ you are going to use.

I have a few CATs. They will break down faster than the SOF-Ts if exposed to extreme outdoor environments on a regular basis due to the plastic hardware. Solution would be to replace on a scheduled basis every few years or so. I always use a blue CAT as a dedicated trainer. You are right, never use your for-real tourniquet for training.

Also, there are numerous fake CATs out there, thanks to the Chinese airsoft industry. The manufacturer website shows you how to tell the difference. The fake CATs use crappy plastic, non-heat welded straps, etc etc and will break easily.

I've trained with both the SOF-Ts and CATs. I like the metal hardware of the SOF-Ts, but found the CATs much easier to apply one handed (i.e. in a self help situation where you need to tourniquet your own arm)

2 C.A.T.s
2 non vented chest seals
1 4" x 4" burn wrap
1 2" x 2" burn wrap
2 rolls Krilex Gauze
1 ACE bandage
1 3" wide roll med tape
1 1/2" wide roll med tape
2 pairs NAR talon gloves
1 pair EMT shears
3" x 3" gauze
4" x 4" gauze
shear band aids
sport band aids
asprin, advil, dramamine, pepto tablets
flashlight, knife
sharpie
q-tips
alcohol pads
CELOX gauze
instant ice pack

Um, i think thats it. Thats the kit that stays in my jeep or that comes w me near everywhere. I have a smaller kit that stays in my range bag and training bag.

Oh, and REAL CAT Tourniquets and other goodies are always in stock at my store.

Last edited:
2 C.A.T.s
2 non vented chest seals
1 4" x 4" burn wrap
1 2" x 2" burn wrap
2 rolls Krilex Gauze
1 ACE bandage
1 3" wide roll med tape
2 pairs NAR talon gloves
1 pair EMT shears
3" x 3" gauze
4" x 4" gauze
shear band aids
sport band aids
flashlight, knife
sharpie
q-tips
alcohol pads
CELOX gauze
instant ice pack

Um, i think thats it. Thats the kit that stays in my jeep or that comes w me near everywhere. I have a smaller kit that stays in my range bag and training bag.

Curious: why non vented chest seals?

rubber gloves, mouth to mouth mask, halo pach, duck tape, foam splint, isreali bandage 4" and 6", cat tourniquet, rolled gauze, hazard waist bags, self adhesive bandage, whistle, trauma dressing different size. and a back up of iteams.

You don't need to be in the backwoods. I live in a city of 30k people, and within 10 miles of my house, I can find innumerable roads where there is little to no cell service, and EMS is at least 20 minutes away. Do what you want, but training is easy to get and cheap.

Heh, that's only a little better then half way to my house.

If I'm offshore on my sailboat I am at least 30-60 min away from medical care. My med kit will allow me to do anything short of brain surgery. (As long as I have connection to YouTube)

In suburban MA your local FD may be transporting Granny with a fainting spell to the local hospital so your 911 ambulance is going to come from the next town. It can be a long wait.

Brain surgery on a pitching boat with a rusty fishing knife hold my beer for a second I got this

Maybe a "group buy" on a course would be a cool idea.

This....That's how we did it with a group of friends with Bill from
I think a 3 part recurring course would make sense. Each part would be a half day, and you can take any part at any time, and get full "credit" (for taking the course?) when all 3 components are done. That way, you only give up half a weekend day, and can do it over a summer or a year, or whatever; and if you miss one, you can take when convenient. I think someone could make a little money doing this, and people would be willing to pay for it. (see next section)

2 C.A.T.s
2 non vented chest seals
1 4" x 4" burn wrap
1 2" x 2" burn wrap
2 rolls Krilex Gauze
1 ACE bandage
1 3" wide roll med tape
2 pairs NAR talon gloves
1 pair EMT shears
3" x 3" gauze
4" x 4" gauze
shear band aids
sport band aids
flashlight, knife
sharpie
q-tips
alcohol pads
CELOX gauze
instant ice pack

Here's another thing. Nobody will buy all these packages to make up a kit. If someone goes out and buys a bunch of these, then people can make their own kits and/or restock kits from them. Providing these at one of the courses would be a great way to help people, and save some money. Doing it at the time of the courses above would be super convenient.

I don’t really use my FSA for much of anything else. One of these in each car is a good start. One in the range bag is also a must.

Amazon product ASIN B07CG9HFSFView: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CG9HFSF/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_imm_QGHH8XDBM1F4X97M4YXG

I guess your use of “good start” is a reasonable enough disclaimer, but I would not recommend this kit as an IFAK, if that is someone’s intent. Particularly, the Adventure Medical Kits “Trauma Pack” is not terrific. Again, it is good as a good start, but the Quickclot it contains is a small sponge, and not meant for deep punctures or GSWs.

My best advice, is someone wanting to purchase a kit self-educate on what components they think they will need and what is in their scope of practice and buy or build a kit to their level of training. For example, most lay-responders aren’t going to perform a needle decompression for a collapsed lung, so unless you want to have the item on-hand for some other lay-responder to use on you, I wouldn’t bother buying one. EMS isn’t going to rely on your equipment, they are going to use their gear that they are trained on.

I think a 3 part recurring course would make sense. Each part would be a half day, and you can take any part at any time, and get full "credit" (for taking the course?) when all 3 components are done. That way, you only give up half a weekend day, and can do it over a summer or a year, or whatever; and if you miss one, you can take when convenient. I think someone could make a little money doing this, and people would be willing to pay for it. (see next section)

Here's another thing. Nobody will buy all these packages to make up a kit. If someone goes out and buys a bunch of these, then people can make their own kits and/or restock kits from them. Providing these at one of the courses would be a great way to help people, and save some money. Doing it at the time of the courses above would be super convenient.

I’m not sure what kind of “credit” you’re looking to obtain. Yes, some classes are taught over a few days or successive weekend, but trauma medicine is a perishable skill like everything else. An instructor does not “certify” an individual, a sponsoring organization does, and I don’t know of any organization that will offer the type of piecemeal training you’re suggesting for a certificate of completion.

Most individuals generally do not require a TCCC, First Responder or higher level of provider training. For many folks a community-level first aid class (like available through the American Red Cross) will be sufficient. Anyone wanting a higher level of training specific to managing trauma can look for a Stop the Bleed course, which is typically about a 4 hour curriculum.

I’d be pleased to teach a Stop the Bleed class if there was enough interest and someone could secure a venue. Much of the training classes have been cancelled this past year due to C-19.

plenty of people buy the components individually. also, plenty of folks sell them as complete (or nearly) kits.

Back
Top Bottom