• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Which current production revolver for carry?

Which current production revolver for carry?

• S&W 638

• S&W 642

• S&W 360 PD

• Ruger LCR 357

• Ruger LCR 38

• Other (Charter, Taurus, ...)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Just saw this, figured it would fit here as good as any.

View: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/Zt2EvAAiges

If you like a revolver, have a revolver but this is not a meaningful issue with semiautomatics any more than the risk of something snagging between hammer and frame or an attacker getting hold of the cylinder when you're in double action. If you interfere with the mechanics, gun no go bang.

May I ask
What Self Defense ammo do you use for a snubby ?
In 357

Lucky gunner has done great work testing ammo. And I strongly recommend reviewing their testing of 38 special ammo for anyone interested in that caliber.

Here is my summary of the results in the article.
  • .38 special is sufficient, but not by much. It has the energy to both penetrate and expand, but bullet construction matters a lot. The majority of .38 special defensive rounds do poorly in gel tests, but a few do well.
  • Barrel length matters. Some defensive loads that do well from a 4" barrel do much worse with the reduced velocity of a 2" barrel. For some loads the difference is surprising.
Regarding .357 magnum from a snubby, I'll offer an opinion. Most people find .357 magnum hard to control from a snubby. My recommendation would be to choose a .38 special round that actually has good performance from a short barrel. But the article also has extensive gel tests with .357 ammo, so you can research that too if you prefer it.

Get some Safariland Comp II speedloaders, some dummy rounds, and start practicing reloads.
And practice reloading those dummy rounds while behind cover and your buddy is shooting at you with a 6mm airsoft GBB lol.

Love pocket carrying a 360PD (with +P's...good enough for gov't work and might be able to pull the trigger again) but.....I just picked up a 640 and gotta say..... my new favorite "snub" but a bit heavy for pocket carry.

Back
Top Bottom