• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Which current production revolver for carry?

Which current production revolver for carry?

• S&W 638

• S&W 642

• S&W 360 PD

• Ruger LCR 357

• Ruger LCR 38

• Other (Charter, Taurus, ...)

Results are only viewable after voting.
That's kind of my point - there's no support. I know it's a comfort thing and I get that, but even a snubbie (any snubbie) must look like a brick in a pair of gym shorts like that...
So what would you suggest for carrying with shorts, sneaks, t-shirt, and a dog leash in one hand. Flashlight and wallet are already getting heavy for that elastic.

It’s been a year. Pull the trigger or pull out!
:rolleyes:

Just saying we have been helping you for a year and wished it helped or made a difference.
See previous posts. Got something else, waiting on revolver.

I’ll unsubscribe.
Great idea.

So what would you suggest for carrying with shorts, sneaks, t-shirt, and a dog leash in one hand. Flashlight and wallet are already getting heavy for that elastic.
Frankly, I wouldn't.

Those shorts are one of the reasons why Hill People Gear are in business. If I wanted to carry and also wear those kind of shorts, I'd wear a chest pack (if hiking) or a fanny pack (if walking). Or a shoulder holster if the weather allowed me to wear a windbreaker.

I get it. Fanny packs look ghey. But so do running shorts if you're not running, so maybe two negatives make a positive in that case.

Well, that's just it. Sometimes I am running with the dog. Maybe not a marathon, maybe not 100 yard dash either, but walk a little, run a little. If it were strictly middle of the day, not a problem, I'd just not carry. I just want something for when the sun starts setting earlier and earlier.

Well, that's just it. Sometimes I am running with the dog. Maybe not a marathon, maybe not 100 yard dash either, but walk a little, run a little. If it were strictly middle of the day, not a problem, I'd just not carry. I just want something for when the sun starts setting earlier and earlier.

Yeah, I don't know whether the Revolver Industry has solved that yet. I would never in my life be interested in waist-carrying any kind of gun in shorts I'd be willing to run in, and I bet a lot of runners feel similarly.

Borrowing a page from people who actually do run with pistols (cops and soldiers) tells you, quite clearly, that you need a belt of some variety. A fanny pack should do you well enough. Or? Think outside the box and figure out a way for your dog to carry it, or attach an unobtrusive carrier to the leash perhaps.

I get it. I'm not a fan of off-body carry. But then, I'm not a fan of carrying while running, either. I assess that the risk of getting fatally attacked while running in the daytime is nil, and as the sun goes down it doesn't rise all that much. A mugger can see whatever you've got. He knows you don't have anything on you worth mugging you for.

@Coyote33

I thought you settled on this from post #127: Post #143

EDIT: Post #143 not 127.

Last edited:
@Coyote33

I thought you settled on this from post #127:

An AirWeight is 14.7oz (1oz less). Even that drags gym shorts down. You can get by with an LCP Max with 10rd mag, though.

Yeah, I don't know whether the Revolver Industry has solved that yet. I would never in my life be interested in waist-carrying any kind of gun in shorts I'd be willing to run in, and I bet a lot of runners feel similarly.

Borrowing a page from people who actually do run with pistols (cops and soldiers) tells you, quite clearly, that you need a belt of some variety. A fanny pack should do you well enough. Or? Think outside the box and figure out a way for your dog to carry it, or attach an unobtrusive carrier to the leash perhaps.

I get it. I'm not a fan of off-body carry. But then, I'm not a fan of carrying while running, either. I assess that the risk of getting fatally attacked while running in the daytime is nil, and as the sun goes down it doesn't rise all that much. A mugger can see whatever you've got. He knows you don't have anything on you worth mugging you for.
I do use a fanny pack when using those type of shorts. Otherwise, I have some shorts with pockets that I can use a belt with. Once cooler weather hits, it gets easier.

@Coyote33
I thought you settled on this from post #127: Post #143

EDIT: Post #143 not 127.
If I get a revolver, that Kimber is right up there with the 642. I would have to hold them and go back and forth. Wish I could shoot both together somewhere somehow.

An AirWeight is 14.7oz (1oz less). Even that drags gym shorts down. You can get by with an LCP Max with 10rd mag, though.
I have the LCP (non-Max) for now. It works, but if I remember right, I use a fanny pack with these shorts. Need to get out with the mutt more again. Lately, just regular carry evenings around the neighborhoods, not in the woods.

The easy solution to this 1st world problem is put your in the waist band holster and your gun belt on tighten an extra notch put gym shorts and t shirt on.. gun is pretty secure and out of sight (obviously this works best with a smaller lighter gun) leather/kydex combo provides the most comfort) apendix style works well let your belly be the distraction)

I have a couple of those. They work pretty good, but I'm not happy with getting the gun all sweaty. I'm afraid I might forget to oil it and it will rust.
Sweat is bad but even a little bit of blood (from a scrape or blister) on a blued gun is worse. Amazing how fast damage will happen.

Sweat is bad but even a little bit of blood (from a scrape or blister) on a blued gun is worse. Amazing how fast damage will happen.
I'm now having flashbacks to a horrific walk when I tried ONCE to do the belt clip trick on an P3-AT (basically same as LCP) and carried it IWB with one of those screw-on clips. ... With no undershirt in the summer while carrying a baby in a carrier.

I got one of the worst skin rashes from the walk as the stipling just ripped me up.

I only dumped the belly band that day since it didn't work well with the forward facing Bjorn carrier. Should have just done diaper bag carry.

I'm now having flashbacks to a horrific walk when I tried ONCE to do the belt clip trick on an P3-AT (basically same as LCP) and carried it IWB with one of those screw-on clips. ... With no undershirt in the summer while carrying a baby in a carrier.

I got one of the worst skin rashes from the walk as the stipling just ripped me up.

I only dumped the belly band that day since it didn't work well with the forward facing Bjorn carrier. Should have just done diaper bag carry.

I don't miss the days of juggling infant-carry scenarios. That's a time I'm happy I've left behind. I remember hauling a Bjorn around apple-picking once and between that, my IWB, and the bag of apples, I needed a nap afterward.

Did not know that. Thanks for the tip. Is blood acidic?
Blood's pH is normally above 7.0, so it's technically a very mild alkaline. But, it has a fair amount of salt and other electrolytes, and it will eat into the iron oxide surface of a blued gun quite quickly.

EDIT: There it is, hemoglobin in plasma acts as a reducing agent for iron complexes. As the blued finish is an iron oxide, hemoglobin reduces the surface, stripping the oxygen and leaving an instable iron ion. The salt likely doesn't help as well.

Last edited:

:rolleyes:

See previous posts. Got something else, waiting on revolver.

Great idea.
I have a tactical fanny pack that can be set cross chest or belted across the waist. I can carry my G19 or HK45C in that, along with a tactical flash light, pepper spray, and a folding knife.

As to revolvers, I have a S&W .357 TRR8 though I don’t carry that yet. Looking for a good shoulder rig for it for carry in the Fall/Winter months under a zipped sweatshirt/jacket. Originally I was going to add a light and red dot to it and use it for a home defense/night stand gun. I may still do so…

Still go with my LCR in .327 Fed. Mag. Six shots instead of five. Can practice with light .32 S&W Long and carry either .32 H&R Magnum or heavy .327 Fed. Mag. that match .357 Mag. in power. S&W has acknowledged the advantages of the .327 Fed. Mag. with their introduction of the .30 Super carry, which is pretty much a rimless .327. Down side vis-a-vis .357 Mag. is that it’s harder to find ammo for it since almost no one besides me likes it.
I voted "other", to mean, LCR in 327 Fed Mag for all the above reasons. 6 shots instead of 5, can shoot/practice with 32 Long or 32 Mag, and 327 Fed Mag is a very good defensive round. LCR has a great factory trigger and the front sight (with the painted ramp) is pretty good right out of the box too. Mine has Crimson Trace laser grips, 19oz fully loaded, and is a fantastic "pocket" gun.

Last edited:
I have a tactical fanny pack that can be set cross chest or belted across the waist. I can carry my G19 or HK45C in that, along with a tactical flash light, pepper spray, and a folding knife.

As to revolvers, I have a S&W .357 TRR8 though I don’t carry that yet. Looking for a good shoulder rig for it for carry in the Fall/Winter months under a zipped sweatshirt/jacket. Originally I was going to add a light and red dot to it and use it for a home defense/night stand gun. I may still do so…
Love my TRR8. I was also thinking that I'd add a light and use it as my bedside gun, but unfortunately, it didn't fit in my bedside safe. So I took off the light and put it on my Beretta M9A1 Compact, which now resides in my bedside safe.

full

Frank

Back
Top Bottom