Votes: 35 52.2%
  • AR

Votes: 31 46.3%
  • Other

Votes: 1 1.5%

• Total voters

Boghog1

NES Member
so which one if you could only have one? if you choose an AR what caliber the standard 5.56 or would you do something exotic like the 6.8 or go with a AR10 in .308? Would there be a "better" rifle something that would be considered a well rounded rifle?

AR 15 all the way.

why? because all the cool kids have them, it's a battle proven / time tested design. dead eFin sexy black rifle that does the job. sure, there are those with NO operational experience besides punching holes in paper that will advocate for a "sexy" and "exotic" caliber or rifle... there is a reason why wars are being fought with the M16.....

as for caliber - Keep it simple stupid.. 5.56 all the way.

I would break the rules, rig the test like James T. Kirk, and get both.

Two different rifles, arguably two different missions.

Since I already have both, I defy anyone to attempt to limit me to only one. As for the ARs: 2 lowers + 3 uppers (.22lr, 5.56, 6.8spc)

Ken

AR 15 all the way.

why? because all the cool kids have them, it's a battle proven / time tested design. dead eFin sexy black rifle that does the job. sure, there are those with NO operational experience besides punching holes in paper that will advocate for a "sexy" and "exotic" caliber or rifle... there is a reason why wars are being fought with the M16.....

as for caliber - Keep it simple stupid.. 5.56 all the way.

edit: gonna quote myself... reading this back,

what i meant is that just simply "shooting" a rifle, vs. beating on it, putting it to the test alongside yourself, whether through competition, extended abuse trials, shooting at MORE than just off a bench....

i.e. GET Dirty with it. go out in the rain, snow, do a couple mag dumps ect....

-sorry, hands are faster than the brain it seems... [laugh]

I have both.

I love my M14, my favorite rifle, but if I had to have just one, I would go AR in 5.56. Ammo and magazines are more available cheaper, and it is cheaper and easier to modify it to your taste.

While the M1a is a beautiful rifle and a real masterpiece of machining...

I'd have to say the AR15. Ammo, mags, parts are quite a bit cheaper. So, that means you can feed her a bit longer if you can only have 1 and are on a budget.

Plus, in a SHTF-zombie-nuclear apocalypse, ammo and parts will still probably be more available since it's used everywhere.

That's not to say there aren't some trash AR-15's out there, but that can be said for M14's too.

I have both.

If you are going to be shooting at 300+ yards and don't mind the cost of .308, the M1A is awesome. My loaded model has an amazing trigger, and I have no problem hitting steel out to 300 yards and beyond.

I have both.

If you are going to be shooting at 300+ yards and don't mind the cost of .308, the M1A is awesome. My loaded model has an amazing trigger, and I have no problem hitting steel out to 300 yards and beyond.

range isnt a problem for the 5.56mm either. it's been shot out to 1000yds, and is quite accurate in the hands of a well trained shooter.

personally...AR15 for me. i do LOVE m14's, but i like my AR more (mostly because it doesnt break all the time....and not for nothing....if your M1A doesnt break all the time, you arent shooting it enough (or you spent $4-5k to have one built by an m14-specific gunsmith)

I voted M1A.

If I could only have one rifle though, probably my XCR. Thankfully I don't have to make such choices.

If I could only have 1, it would be an AR in 5.56.

It's a tough choice because they are both great rifles that are battle proven.

In a SHTF situation I would rather have a 5.56 AR-15 Carbine. It is much cheaper and has unlimited options to customize to your needs. Although the M1A has a longer range, the AR is accurate and the 5.56 is cheaper and lighter allowing you to buy and carry more ammo. I like them both, just think the AR is a better all purpose rifle.

range isnt a problem for the 5.56mm either. it's been shot out to 1000yds, and is quite accurate in the hands of a well trained shooter.

personally...AR15 for me. i do LOVE m14's, but i like my AR more (mostly because it doesnt break all the time....and not for nothing....if your M1A doesnt break all the time, you arent shooting it enough (or you spent $4-5k to have one built by an m14-specific gunsmith)

You are right, a properly configured AR can shine at long range.

I have an AR service rifle too, but how many people who are buying only one AR are going to buy an HBAR with a free-floated barrel, pinned rear sights with a NM thin front sight, and a Geissele trigger?

Nevermind having to reload 80 grain bullets that are longer than mag-length to hit at 600+!

Last edited:
AR in 5.56 because it's cheaper to shoot. If you're going to spend that kind of moola on a gun, you should be able to afford the ammo and shoot it when you want.

If you're not financially impaired, go for the M1A.

I voted AR. 5.56. I like .308 too, but the AR is more practical I think. Cheaper to feed, lighter, plenty accurate..

Back
Top Bottom