• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Why are there so many Glock Haters?

I like Glocks because they're one of the few handguns rust resistant enough for me to own, extremely reliable, high capacity, and so common that everyone makes holsters/mag pouches for them. When I was living in Mass. the availability of pre-ban high caps were a huge plus.

Among the things that I don't like about Glocks are 1) grip angle, 2) grip circumference is just a bit too big, 3) stock sights are abysmal (though easily replaced), but most importantly, 4) I just don't like the plasticky, creepy, nasty trigger feel.

The stock night sights are the only ones that I like. Buy them now if you want them, allegedly Glock is going LE only with factory night sights, RTF and other things.

the 'safety'

Easily one of my favorite parts about it.

I know several police officers who used the Glock to defend there life,and the gun worked.I know 1 he pulled the trigger and it when click!

What went wrong?

Aside from my 1911, the XD trigger is the best I have ever shot.

The XD trigger feels rather lame to me. I shot an Infinity that had an incredible trigger, and I recently dry fired an H&K P9S that had an amazing trigger, but sadly it's blued steel construction puts it out of the running for me.

Yeah, when I think of quality the first thing that comes to mind is a re-branded $200 gun made in Croatia.

[rofl]

Get yourself two revolvers for less money and you will be much better off. They will eat any ammo you feed them, and never kill you in an emergency by going click instead of bang!

I'd take a common semi-auto failure over a common revolver failure any day of the week and twice on Sunday in church vs. an active shooter.

Let me guess, your rifle is some old antiquated piece of forgotten technology also

[laugh]MAO!

People seem to miss that part

Look at the part that you missed:

used 1 target for the test, paced 35’ feet away. Not bad considering half the time I couldn’t see the sights. The increased weight of the trigger must have had me pulling to the right.
Need to take more than 1 magazine next time. There were a few times the mag was so full of stuff I only only fit 10 or 11 rounds. I think some of the FTF were partially the mag.

Failures to feed with a mag full of crap should kind of be expected. It's amazing how well it works after going through all that.

I have no problem with the Springfields, or my Kahr PM9. Just something about "Glocks".

A PM9 is just a single stack G26 with very little corrosion resistance.

Until they are put through their paces on a tactical training range where their cheesey plastic guide rod breaks.

There is a way around that you know. [wink]

I instantly admired Glocks because the antis crapped themselves hard and often when they heard there was a plastic gun out there. They were positive it wouldn't be detectable at airports. The really uninformed antis still make this rant from time to time. That alone makes me a Glock fan.

It wasn't just them either. The Mass. legislature showed up to that party too.

MGL 140-131N

Chapter 140: Section 131N. Covert weapons; sale, transfer or possession; punishment

Section 131N. No person shall sell, offer for sale, transfer or possess any weapon, capable of discharging a bullet or shot, that is: (i) constructed in a shape that does not resemble a handgun, short-barreled rifle or short-barreled shotgun including, but not limited to, covert weapons that resemble key-chains, pens, cigarette-lighters or cigarette-packages; or (ii) not detectable as a weapon or potential weapon by x-ray machines commonly used at airports or walk-through metal detectors. Whoever violates the provisions of this section shall be punished, for a first offense, by a fine of not less than $1,000 nor more than $10,000 or by imprisonment for not less than one year nor more than ten years, or by both such fine and imprisonment, and for a second offense, by a fine of not less than $5,000 nor more than $15,000 or by imprisonment for not less than five years nor more than 15 years, or by both such fine and imprisonment.

Looks like a few folks watched Die Hard 2 a few times too many. [laugh]

in no particular order:

the grip angle.
the 'safety'
some are known to blow up
they're plastic
they're ugly
if you're you're going to have an AD/ND you're more likely with a Glock
they're the choice of kids and gang bangers who don't know what a real gun is
they're like the Pontiac Firebird...every kid has to have one and then is afraid to tell everyone they made a mistake, so they say it's a great car.

they have no soul.

It has never been said better than this

A PM9 is just a single stack G26 with very little corrosion resistance.
The PM9 is a pocket gun that can actually fit in your pocket, whereas the G26 is a pocket gun that can't fit in a pocket. I find pocket guns that can fit in a pocket to be useful. Pocket guns that can't fit in a pocket are answers to questions that I've never asked [wink]

I wouldn't call myself a Glock hater, and I can't offer a fully informed opinion, but I've never found them appealing. The grip angle, the feel in my hand, the lack of olde-tyme gun features, even the appearance. It irks me a bit when every man and his dog (in some circles) say I should buy a Glock.

I have to fess up to not having read the whole 20 page thread, so sorry if this has been discussed...

The Four Seasons web site cautions against using reloads or non-jacketed lead ammo in any Glock.

No such caveat on an M&P, XD, etc. that I know about.

I promised myself I would only read but this is great.
So if I drive a BMW i can't shoot a 1911? I probably shouldn't shoot an over / under either. Jeez its okay to age but don't become a geezer.

Glocks, I own many love to shoot and easy to clean them, but no matter what I do to the trigger it will never achieve the nirvana of a single action 1911. So, for me it is the trigger.

I promised myself I would only read but this is great.
So if I drive a BMW i can't shoot a 1911? I probably shouldn't shoot an over / under either. Jeez its okay to age but don't become a geezer.

Glocks, I own many love to shoot and easy to clean them, but no matter what I do to the trigger it will never achieve the nirvana of a single action 1911. So, for me it is the trigger.

howitzer, welcome to the forum. You calling me a "Geezer"? Damn, that would be good, most people call me such severe things.

Originally Posted by Pilgrim
in no particular order:

the grip angle.
the 'safety'
some are known to blow up
they're plastic
they're ugly

if you're you're going to have an AD/ND you're more likely with a Glock
they're the choice of kids and gang bangers who don't know what a real gun is
they're like the Pontiac Firebird...every kid has to have one and then is afraid to tell everyone they made a mistake, so they say it's a great car.

they have no soul.

A well crafted pistol is a work of art.

A Glock is like one of those "artworks" painted on velvet (Like the poker playing dogs or the huge-eyed waif)

GOT to love the way this thread keeps on going . and going . . .

I'm just saying that it appeared obvious at the time that the problems weren't entirely an issue with hotrodded reloads since some PDs experienced the problem without using reloaded ammo. I'm not much of a fan because I prefer to reload lead and the glock rifling isn't compatible with lead. Walthers are the same from what I gather. If I wanted to reload jacketed bullets I'd probably buy a glock...in fact I'm biding my time waiting for a friend to finally give up on his 10MM. I still like S&Ws best.

So you're telling me that NONE of the KBs were caused by bad reloads? [rofl]

Nearly every manufacturer "craps on reloads" and will void your warranty if you blow up a gun that you admitted using reloaded ammunition in. That isn't a trait specific to Glock. Gun manufacturers would go broke if they had to replace every gun blown up by shoddy reloading practices. At least in the case of commercial ammo they can go after the ammo manufacturer to pay for the gun if the ammo was still at fault.

If I blew up one of my Glocks with bad ammo I would not expect them to pay for it... the solution is obvious, don't make bad ammo. [wink]

A gun manufacturer "crapping on reloads" is not a valid reason to not buy that particular product. I pretty much expect gun manufacturers to crap on reloads, as they have to limit their liability somehow, and excluding things that they definitely don't have control over is certainly in the cards.

-Mike

I'm just saying that it appeared obvious at the time that the problems weren't entirely an issue with hotrodded reloads since some PDs experienced the problem without using reloaded ammo.

A lot of PD's have had issues involving firing off duty ammo that has been chambered countless times, causing setback. A big warning was sent out about that after a dept. in New Jersey had some explosive results when shooting off their old duty ammo while qualifying a couple years ago. There are police departments that require their staff to leave their gun in a lockbox at the station and load up at the start of their shift and unload at the end. They do it because they save a ton of money on insurance that way, but it can lead to several other problems, like that. Setback in a round like the .40 will increase pressures that are already very high.

Depicts I am calling you no more a geezer than you calling me a yuppie. By the way thank you for your service to this fine country.

HIIIIIIII YAAAAAAAAAH
character_48.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I just hate the triggers. Absent that and the dis-assembly issues I don't care. (Though I'll never "like" composite guns. They just don't feel right in my hand or on my belt).

You know, this past weekend I had an opportunity to defend the honor of the Glock loving dogs against several disciples of JMB. Glock won. Apparently, a 1911 doesn't usually go bang with the safety on... Remembering to put some ammo in it also helps.[rofl2]

Also, I like the 1911 and want to get one to keep my Glock and Beretta company.

Back
Top Bottom