why every house should have a .38

so I am currently doing a semester abroad in beautiful Australia. A close friend of mine had her mom visiting this past week, and talking at a bar her mom had a very interesting story.

My friend was born in england, where she lived for a year. Her mom told us a story about a staulker who showed up at her house one day when her husband was on a business trip. he was talking to her through some type of vent, and was saying he was outside, was going to do all kinds of things to her and her family, he knew her husband was away, etc etc. This poor woman has her life threatened, and has a 3 year old and an infant in the house by herself. The guy comes around to a front door, and the woman struggles to keep the guy from busting in. Somehow she managed to lock him out and call for help. They ended up having to move away because of this guy.

This story got me thinking about if that were my family. I am only 20 years old, but i guarentee when I have a family or move in with a girl, One of the first things I will do is get 38 special and show her how to use it. To me a gun is the only chance a woman has if someone gets into the house with the intention of harming her, the cops cant get there that fast. I always bring up this scenario to Anti's when they are telling me that no one should be allowed to have a pistol, there is no reason for them. They usually dont have much of a comeback... how many of you share this opinion, or practice it? I know in my home, I, my sister, or my mother could access a pistol if they needed to.

I think all here would agree with you that firearms for defense are a good thing. There's a saying floating around: God created men. Sam Colt made them equal. that sums it up nicely.

Most of us would recommend some training in the use of a handgun as a weapon. I'm not really talking about the mechanical aspects of firing a pistol. That's easy to learn. I'm talking about the skills and mindset to fight with a firearm. Two very different things.

I have no concerns about 38 Special putting BGs down with authority when the correct loading is used.

Shot placement is king. Penetration is queen. All else are angels dancing on the head of a pin.

Here's ours [grin]

M10.jpg

This is surely not my quote but I can't for the life of me remember where I heard it. Two people over the last few weeks have asked me why I carry a gun and I told them, and one was a customer of mine, "beacause a cop is too heavy" One laughed the other had a look like a Lab puppy and said ohh. and I do carry a .38.

haha this thread has gone all over the place.... Wasnt trying to invoke a caliber arguement, I just said 38 because i figured its probably the most popular revolver caliber for an all around home defense revolver that a woman would be able to use.... If you have a 44 magnum that your wife and 13 year old can handle well, more power to you. haha

Actually a .38 Spl is a good choice for many reasons. Perhaps not the ultimate choice, but a handgun which can be used by different people of different abilities, a wide range of ammunition choices, and usually a reasonable cost.

haha this thread has gone all over the place.... Wasnt trying to invoke a caliber arguement, I just said 38 because i figured its probably the most popular revolver caliber for an all around home defense revolver that a woman would be able to use.... If you have a 44 magnum that your wife and 13 year old can handle well, more power to you. haha

I wasn't trying to say .38 was bad just making a reference to the fact there would be many different opinions on this issue in a gun forum.[grin]

This is what seems to be attributed to ole' Ben:

http://www.quotedb.com/quotes/1900

Guess I need to find something new...[thinking]

If every house had a functioning firearm, crime would go to nothing, in just about one very noisy week.
I'm in favor of having the IRS send a free single shot 12 ga. to everyone who files a tax return.
When there are more armed good guys than bad guys, guess who will prevail.

Back
Top Bottom