Why is the .40 caliber losing popularity?

I know it's not recommended, but I have faked it by shooting .40 in the Delta Elite 10mm. It was actually ridiculously accurate too.
lol, yeah, i've done a few times in my g20, but only a few. that g20 is not really the platform i want to do that kind of experimentation with. i was actually scared to load more than one at a time in the mag so just singles, thank you. and also nervous the case might get missed by the extractor. i'm funny like that.

Sometimes I think if Biden got elected there would be a shitload of liberals that would end up regretting it once the economy tanked and he started instilling his will upon them. If he wins there’s going to be a shitstorm for sure.
They wouldn't know why it happened, they would probably blame rich people for their troubles. If they had half a brain they wouldn't be vltong for these people.

Mrs. Mountain brought home a brass souvenir from Women On Target. I asked, "Did you shoot a lever action?". "No, pistol." "Really, that looks like a case from a lever action." "No! Look for yourself! It was a huge revolver and it was AWESOME!"

Dumbass me checked it out, and sure as hell- .460 Rem Mag, factory full boat load.

So don't be a sissy, LOL. [laugh]

Mrs. Mountain sounds like a keepah!

I thought that when Obama was elected that his policies would crash and burn. (which they did.) and then these people would see that this leftist move is a failure and would come back to normal thinking. Well it didn't happen and as a matter of fact they liked the way things were under Obama and they want those days to come back again. You can't fix stupid. There mind set will never change.

Anybody that doesn't realize that the 40 is simply the bestest handgun round ever made is just another example of our falling education system in this country. It's faster then a 45 and heavier then a 9. Therefore just better.
But the 10mm is both faster and heavier then the 9mm? 😉

Anybody that doesn't realize that the 40 is simply the bestest handgun round ever made is just another example of our falling education system in this country. It's faster then a 45 and heavier then a 9. Therefore just better.
10mm Short (or 10mm Long) is the superior round over 9mm in all respects except how many you can cram into a small carry piece. But the latter is important to 'spray & pray' folks and I get that mindset.

9mm is also great for carry if you really don't think you are going to need it. [laugh]

It has it's place. Life is about balance and compromise. And it's hard to compare apples to apples when comparing 9mm, .40s&w and 45acp. Paul Harrell does some great comparisons with about $100 worth of groceries, that are cool to watch. He also uses a shot timer and looks at splits and recoil etc.
I love his pork ribs, duct taped to a watermelon videos. He is a helluva a shooter and very consistent, and the only conclusion that was a little bit of a surprise to me was that his splits and accuracy seem to show 45 has more recoil than 40, with similar bullet weights. 45 caused more damage to the watermelon, which I kinda expected as it is a big, fat, slow projectile, but the 40 still f***ed up the melon.
If I was in an environment that I was likely to be returning fire through a barrier, ie: auto glass, sheet rock, large fruit ( ;)) I would think the 40 would offer a slight edge. Home defense scenarios where over penetration was a major concern, I would think 45 might make sense.
My EDC is a 365 in 9mm. Mostly because it's a good compromise between comfort and capacity, as well as effectiveness. But also because 380 sucks.

I also think it has a lot to do with what you get used to. The first handgun I ever shot with regularity was a 1911. I also went through Boot one of the last years Marines still qualified with 1911's. When that's what your used to, 40 is meh. The guys that were used to the 92 saw quite a difference when shooting 40.

There is a .460 rem mag? I thought it was .460 SW.

Duh- guess I screwed that up? Yep! Below you can see why I assumed lever action rifle.

677px-Munition_.460_S%26W_Magnum.jpg

Now to show some love to the 9mm:

What makes a G35 40 cal superior to a G34 9mm? Grab a decent quality traditionally rifled 9mm conversion barrel and you now have a cheap bull barrel 9mm range toy. Folks practially give away G35 slides so all you need is a G17 frame and GTG. It's perfect for playing John Wick and the penetration through paper targets is perfectly adequate.

Last edited:
It's simple math. The 40 is as a general rule heavier then a 9 but almost as fast. It's almost as heavy as a 45 but faster. Therefore two almosts make it mostest better. There I said it. It's just better with a wicked lota more power.

.357sig is awesome too! That’s why fortay lovers have it made. Conversion barrels with out even changing magazines.

Speaking for myself I enjoy shooting my S&W 40C and I often swap to the 9 and .357 barrels for the difference each offers. And with the Apex trigger I've given it, it's a fantastic weapon offering multiple options. After thousands of rounds, still no issues.

As a side note I really enjoy the banter back and fourth with this. Up until this ammo shortage I've mostly shot 9mm. I've probably put less then a thousand rounds down range of 40 in the last five or so years while I've averaged around 5 to 6 thousand rounds a year of 9. The F.B.I. has dictated that for a round to be effective it needs to penetrate 10% ballistic gel between 12 to 18 inches and expand to a certain amount going though what ever barrier they've come up with. Ammo company's have developed rounds to do this. I carry a shield with 124hst. I think the 40 is a good round but its not a death ray.

The F.B.I. has dictated that for a round to be effective it needs to penetrate 10% ballistic gel between 12 to 18 inches and expand to a certain amount going though what ever barrier they've come up with. Ammo company's have developed rounds to do this. I carry a shield with 124hst. I think the 40 is a good round but its not a death ray.

A legit green beret I know, who spent significant time actually in the field into his late 30's, told me they judged what they needed for human targets by a minimum required 400 ft lbs.

Ie if they had the luxury of choice, at some perceived likely range, if they couldn't meet that or it was way overkill they would pick something more suitable. The particular guy loves 10mm but I haven't asked about sidearm in combat.

9mm is right there at real close range and that's it, is enough basically. I am not arguing 9mm is or isn't ok, just saying that is a non desk jockey bar someone who made a living in combat expressed to me.

A legit green beret I know, who spent significant time actually in the field into his late 30's, told me they judged what they needed for human targets by a minimum required 400 ft lbs.

Ie if they had the luxury of choice, at some perceived likely range, if they couldn't meet that or it was way overkill they would pick something more suitable. The particular guy loves 10mm but I haven't asked about sidearm in combat.

9mm is right there at real close range and that's it, is enough basically. I am not arguing 9mm is or isn't ok, just saying that is a non desk jockey bar someone who made a living in combat expressed to me.
The 400 lbs/ft makes sense. The Spear Golddots 124+p rounds come in right at 1200 ft per second generating around 400 ft/lbs. This round was/is used by a number of law enforcement agency's and they've had good results with it. Based on center mass hits. Its been over a decade since this round was introduced and I believe rounds like this is what started the trend in moving back over to 9mm. None of these rounds are death rays. Even rifle rounds can fail to stop immediately. Although that happens less often it still does happen.

Speaking for myself I enjoy shooting my S&W 40C and I often swap to the 9 and .357 barrels for the difference each offers. And with the Apex trigger I've given it, it's a fantastic weapon offering multiple options. After thousands of rounds, still no issues.

I do similar with my glock 32.

Swap 40 and 357 barrels, and the gun is good to go. Reliable with either barrel. Both rounds are not as hard to find during retardo times as 9 or 45 either.

And during normal times the prices on ammo is higher, but it doesn't nearly go up like 9mm during times like this. Besides, I reload, and have plenty of powder and bullets
and cases for 40.

Back
Top Bottom