WIfe's Name change on LTC

I did a quick search, so forgive me if I may have missed it somewhere. But, does my wife need to have her name changed on her LTC? She's only had it for about a year, but it's still in her maiden name. Is that a problem at all? How does she get it changed if she needs to?

thanks

I don't think it's a big deal. I was just at Four Seasons on Saturday buying a SR22 and there was a younger girl next to me purchasing a SR22 as well and she told the employee that her last name is different than the address since she got married since then. The FS employee just asked for a license proving her name and all was fine.

I'm sure others will chime in with more info.

FRB will NOT issue a new LTC on a change of name/change of address. They should/will update it in their database which will self-correct when a dealer uses MIRCS. This assumes you did a proper notification of name change/address change.

Generally shouldn't be a problem with MA dealers. No telling what happens if you try to buy a long gun outside MA.

FRB will NOT issue a new LTC on a change of name/change of address. They should/will update it in their database which will self-correct when a dealer uses MIRCS. This assumes you did a proper notification of name change/address change.

Generally shouldn't be a problem with MA dealers. No telling what happens if you try to buy a long gun outside MA.

Ah, great point, thanks. So, she DOES have to at least notify them of the name change. Does she do that through the local PD, or call FRB?

I got my license just over a week ago, and they flipped my first and last names around. Called frb and they said local pd has to put in a request, but its been 3 days without a response from my pd. Similar boat and not sure what to do.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Ah, great point, thanks. So, she DOES have to at least notify them of the name change. Does she do that through the local PD, or call FRB?

I'd do the same sort of notification as an address change, but with a copy of the marriage certificate to authenticate the name change. FRB & issuing PD by Certified Mail, Return Receipt Requested (not required, wise for your records).

- - - Updated - - -

I don't think it's a big deal. I was just at Four Seasons on Saturday buying a SR22 and there was a younger girl next to me purchasing a SR22 as well and she told the employee that her last name is different than the address since she got married since then. The FS employee just asked for a license proving her name and all was fine.

I'm sure others will chime in with more info.

HAHA I think that was my wife and I. Yeah her name is different on LTC so she just showed drivers license.

I've bought a benelli supernova from kittery while I had an old address on my LTC. Same deal, they just wanted to see something that says I live where I wrote that I lived.

My wife got her LTC literally a month effort we married, so her maiden name is on her LTC. When she went into Holliston Firearms to buy her first gun, she wasn't sure which to put for the last name. Mark told her he would let her know which way she had to for the paperwork. When he called it in, he used her maiden name (the one on her card). He told her "Congratulations on your new firearm purchase and recent divorce"

Sent from my Obamaphone (lol j/k I have a job)

After we got married I used the FRB "change of address form" to submit for a name change on my wife's LTC. I followed the normal procedure, mailing copies to issuing town, current town and FRB office. However, as you may notice the "Change of address" form is not well setup to indicate a name change. So, I sent a short letter basically just saying " My name has changed.....this is my old name....this is my new name.....please updated records as necessary". I think I also included a copy of the marriage certificate.

Funny thing....I think it took like 8 months or a year...something like that for them to update the system. After a while I stopped checking but it did finally show correctly. (TIP: you can use the "generate license validation" feature on the gun transaction website to what name is associated with a given LTC number)

Back
Top Bottom