• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Winter Projects

Garand barrel is installed and timed.

In the coming week or two, I will rent a reamer and finish both chambers.

Originally I was only going to do my 1903 this winter and leave the Garand for next year, but I figured it's more cost effective to rent the reamer only once.

6826A7AD-092C-4409-B3C5-0AC2474D3A71.jpeg

Originally I was only going to do my 1903 this winter and leave the Garand for next year, but I figured it's more cost effective to rent the reamer only once.

View attachment 550750
Nice work and good call renting the reamer once.

View attachment 550750
I rented a reamer once, it was such a butchered used reamer I said f*** it and bought one in 30-06 , I have one for 30 carbine somewhere. I was going to rebarrle a blue sky stamped barreled rifle??? Just never got around to buying the barrel

F U Swedish Mauser!

X3t6itVh.jpg

There, I feel better now. Using brown sugar as a rosin in the barrel vise. Holds decently but occasionally the barrel will move a little with a loud pop. Action wrench + cheater bar + my fat ass equals close to 700 ft lbs? I'd really like to remove the barrel without making a relief cut. Maybe I'll try freezing the whole thing then heat the receiver a bit.

F U Swedish Mauser!

X3t6itVh.jpg

There, I feel better now. Using brown sugar as a rosin in the barrel vise. Holds decently but occasionally the barrel will move a little with a loud pop. Action wrench + cheater bar + my fat ass equals close to 700 ft lbs? I'd really like to remove the barrel without making a relief cut. Maybe I'll try freezing the whole thing then heat the receiver a bit.
Lag bolt that bench to the floor. Get some real rosin , I know it sounds funny but my oak wood blocks work better than the aluminum bushings?
Rich told me him and Franco where hanging off the pipe and could not get it to budge on the 1917. That barrel was toast so I relief cut it.
It still took me and my 5” cheater to get it to break free. 1000ftlbs ?
If the table is moving at all your loosing tons of energy.
Sometimes a good “shock” will break it free
Set your action wrench horizontal give the handle a good smack with a 5+lb hammer or as heavy as you feel comfortable

Last edited:
Lag bolt that bench to the floor. Get some real rosin , I know it sounds funny but my oak wood blocks work better than the aluminum bushings?
Rich told me him and Franco where hanging off the pipe and could not get it to budge on the 1917. That barrel was toast so I relief cut it.
Set your action wrench horizontal give the handle a good smack with a 5+lb hammer or as heavy as you feel comfortable
I think I have some real rosin, will try that. Might try freezing then heat the receiver as rapidly as I can. Good to know these can take incredible force to break free.

I think I have some real rosin, will try that. Might try freezing then heat the receiver as rapidly as I can. Good to know these can take incredible force to break free.
You might want to install the bolt to support the reciever a bit.
I know I seen a jig of some sort at one time to put in the receivers to support the bolt raceways?
I dont like heat
Maybe freeze it like tou say then maybe high heat gun a bit back from the barrel and give it a good quick heat up and see if you can get the oil to wick into the threads. Or even bees wax if you have any.

Bench is holding fine- it's a big M-Fer that was a karma from a NESer's work. The rosin sucked for me and didn't hold as well as the brown sugar. Had the vise as tight as I could get it yet the 5# hammer moved the barrel. I'm freezing the whole thing down to 0 degrees then will heat the receiver a little before the next attempt. I suspect I'll have to make that relief cut and scrap the barrel.

Bench is holding fine- it's a big M-Fer that was a karma from a NESer's work. The rosin sucked for me and didn't hold as well as the brown sugar. Had the vise as tight as I could get it yet the 5# hammer moved the barrel. I'm freezing the whole thing down to 0 degrees then will heat the receiver a little before the next attempt. I suspect I'll have to make that relief cut and scrap the barrel.
If the bench moves or stuff on the bench is falling over your loosing alot of energy to the bench. Put 1000lbs on the far side of the bench.?
Sucks the rosin did not work. Maybe try oak bushings?
I used a block of rosin from the guitar store and scrapped off as needed.
Probably cheaper to visit bowling alley if they still use rosin

If the bench moves or stuff on the bench is falling over your loosing alot of energy to the bench. Put 1000lbs on the far side of the bench.?
Sucks the rosin did not work. Maybe try oak bushings?
I used a block of rosin from the guitar store and scrapped off as needed.
Probably cheaper to visit bowling alley if they still use rosin
Bench has tons of weight on it. I have an old chunk of rosin that was for my son's violin. He was pretty good and went to better quality rosin- made honors program in school and played in a combined orchestra for several Boston universities. Anyway that stuff chipped off like bits of broken glass and looked like it was going to be grippy. Going to try the freeze whole thing & heat the receiver method. I can make an oak bushing too- was thinking about that.

Bench has tons of weight on it. I have an old chunk of rosin that was for my son's violin. He was pretty good and went to better quality rosin- made honors program in school and played in a combined orchestra for several Boston universities. Anyway that stuff chipped off like bits of broken glass and looked like it was going to be grippy. Going to try the freeze whole thing & heat the receiver method. I can make an oak bushing too- was thinking about that.
Just have to keep trying. I used a old hack saw blade to get some “filings” off the rosin chunk.
My first attempt at barrel removal did not go so well. 12’ bench at work. Brake lathe on the other end plus shit tons of stuff on the shelf and top.
That bench still wobbled a bit.
My boss says. Put that think in the press.
Which is lagged to the floor because its top heavy. The cheater bar bent a bit and “crack” barrel came loose like nothing.

Now I just C clamp it to the alignment lift.
Theres no barrel beating that

Shock helps also… maybe some nice steady presssure while some taps the action wrench on the handle near the head ?

Just have to keep trying. I used a old hack saw blade to get some “filings” off the rosin chunk.
My first attempt at barrel removal did not go so well. 12’ bench at work. Brake lathe on the other end plus shit tons of stuff on the shelf and top.
That bench still wobbled a bit.
My boss says. Put that think in the press.
Which is lagged to the floor because its top heavy. The cheater bar bent a bit and “crack” barrel came loose like nothing.

Now I just C clamp it to the alignment lift.
Theres no barrel beating that

Shock helps also… maybe some nice steady presssure while some taps the action wrench on the handle near the head ?
Appreciate those ideas. I'd really like to keep the barrel- it's not great but it is serviceable and it does have matching numbers.

Appreciate those ideas. I'd really like to keep the barrel- it's not great but it is serviceable and it does have matching numbers.
At this point you have to use all the voodoo you can
1. Heat gun the receiver shank and see if you can get bees wax to wick in the threads
2. stand rifle on the muzzle end plug the bore and fill the receiver with the psychological support penetrating oil of choice.
After several days freeze it… while its freezing learn some nasty swvidish words and practice
3. Remove from freezer along with the frosted mug and some swede brew and get the vocabulary going and have at it.

Maybe start with this

1. Heat gun the receiver shank and see if you can get bees wax to wick in the threads
2. stand rifle on the muzzle end plug the bore and fill the receiver with the psychological support penetrating oil of choice.
After several days freeze it… while its freezing learn some nasty swvidish words and practice
3. Remove from freezer along with the frosted mug and some swede brew and get the vocabulary going and have at it.

Maybe start with this

Maybe start with this
Instead of the Swede brew, try some aquavit!

🤣🤣🤣

I rented the reamer; waiting for it to arrive.

The front sight on the 03 was a tiny bit loose when installed in the base. I had some brass shim stock, this thickness is essentially foil. Seems to do the trick.

D0909983-DE47-4BD4-B0E1-5B902FC1A818.jpeg

Last edited:
🤣🤣🤣

I rented the reamer; waiting for it to arrive.

The front sight on the 03 was a tiny bit loose when installed in the base. I had some brass shim stock, this thickness is essentially foil. Seems to do the trick.

View attachment 552894
Shim stock is great to have around , sucks that local hobby store closed it was good for that kind of stuff.

This is exactly how I do it. Toss the barreled action in my aux freezer overnight, wrap the barrel and the action with a few layers of masking tape for grip , get everything clamped TIGHT, TIGHT, TIGHT and heat the reciever . Granted i'm experienced only in newer rifles, so antique 60+ year old actions might be a different animal.. You HAVE to have your barrel vice clamped rigid to a secure surface. I bolt my barrel vice to my 500# steel motorcycle steel scissor lift out in my shed. Works perfect.

F U Swedish Mauser!

X3t6itVh.jpg

It just dawned on me that you have the vice on the left side of bench.
Try mounting it on the right side so when your yanking on the action wrench your energy is not going into “lifting” the right side of bench
If you mount it on mid right side of bench you will Transfer more energy “down” into the bench basically bracing it against the floor. If that makes sense

It just dawned on me that you have the vice on the left side of bench.
Try mounting it on the right side so when your yanking on the action wrench your energy is not going into “lifting” the right side of bench
If you mount it on mid right side of bench you will Transfer more energy “down” into the bench basically bracing it against the floor. If that makes sense
Bench doesn't move. Probably 600 700 lbs for the bench plus all the crap on top and stored underneath. Couple turret presses, a 50 BMG press, my AK barrel and rivet setting press, etc. I'm going to cut the oak bushings today and try again with the freeze method.

Bench doesn't move. Probably 600 700 lbs for the bench plus all the crap on top and stored underneath. Couple turret presses, a 50 BMG press, my AK barrel and rivet setting press, etc. I'm going to cut the oak bushings today and try again with the freeze method.
It might not move but the energy is working against you. Its not much but could be just the extra you need

Back
Top Bottom