• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Would like to start reloading. Classes or books?

ntomsw

Banned
Is the class offered at GOAL really worth it? Like could you learn just as much from reading books, manuals, watching videos, etc?? I am sure there are tons of people that go to the class, and also a ton that just read the books or view videos. Was just wondering, which way is the best/easiest way to go. Sometimes in a classroom setting my ADD kicks in, [smile] so I was just wondering. I would only be loading handgun ammo like 9mm, 38, 357, 45auto, and some 45 colt. I think I know what press I will drop the money on, was just kind of curious.

I would have taken a class if they where not a day off from work or fit into my schedule. I chose to read books,watch videos and talk to other reloaders. I did this for almost a year before buying all my stuff. A newbie observation
I found most "books" to be very vag especially the reloading manuals or data books. They are also very brand orientated.
2. I went to the library and found as many books on reloading/bullet casting/ shooting in general. Was impressed with the amount I found. that was several years ago.
most of the books shed just enough light on the subject. Not until I set up my press did I find the lights came on bright. I read enough out there to feel confident and to avoid several problems. sorry I don't have links for the following.
Brian enos web sight and forum was very good
lots of reloading info on
cast boolits
NES
you tube particular ammosmith.com seems pretty good and easy to follow. You will find many videos out there that aahhmmahhhhahhmmmyeahummm. You will forget why you clicked on to it.
There's good and bad info along with the equipment haters and lovers.
a web site called the lee loadmaster zone gave me enough info to decide LEE press was not for me.
In the end the best is hands on with someone who knows what they are doing. I was fortunate to meet 3 long time reloaders well into their years. Was able to check out several presses for both shotgun and metallic. I learned more in a 20 min sessions from these guys than any book so far.
In the end TAKE A CLASS should save you enough time and money to more than pay for itself.

http://www.massreloading.com/

Last edited:
Yeah I was thinking of asking around to see if anyone would let me check out their set-up and go from there. I am not opposed to a class, just kind of lose focus after a certain time, and don't want to fade off and learn nothing. I guess I was wondering what was best for other people.

As far as presses go, I was looking at a Dillon XL650. I already planned on building a station in my basement for all my gun accessories, and somewhere to clean my guns too, so I could also double it as a press bench. I will make sure and make that extra sturdy to hold everything. Thanks for the info. I saw another thread here as well of peoples' bench photos which is great. I guess I will take the class, just hope I can learn something, and not walk out of there more confused then when I went in.

If you do, I'll teach you how to reload myself.

haha, sounds like a deal. I am going to call GOAL Tuesday and sign up for 1 of the October classes if there is room. I noticed that the 1 on Saturday is like a 13 hour class compared to only 8 hours for the other class. Maybe a typo?? Either way, I will take the class.

haha, sounds like a deal. I am going to call GOAL Tuesday and sign up for 1 of the October classes if there is room. I noticed that the 1 on Saturday is like a 13 hour class compared to only 8 hours for the other class. Maybe a typo?? Either way, I will take the class.

It must be a typo. The classes are the same length. There are a few more breaks during the long Saturday one.

ETA: You know that I'm the guy that teaches the classes at GOAL, right?

ntomsw, I've take. the class offered by GOAL taught by EC and it was worth it. I learned an incredible amount, reading only takes you so far. towards the end of the class EC had us load rounds to be used for his LTC classes.

It must be a typo. The classes are the same length. There are a few more breaks during the long Saturday one.

ETA: You know that I'm the guy that teaches the classes at GOAL, right?

Actually no, I did not know that. Man I would have felt like an ass if I really bad mouthed it or something before going. [rofl] I do think it will be informative, it is just my attention span I am worried about. But if not open tomorrow, I will GOAL Tuesday and see if there is room. Thanks for the info.

ntomsw, I've take. the class offered by GOAL taught by EC and it was worth it. I learned an incredible amount, reading only takes you so far. towards the end of the class EC had us load rounds to be used for his LTC classes.

I am looking forward to taking it now, the more I talk about it, and maybe get to meet some new people, which I don't do enough of. We'll see how it goes.

Using a book to learn it is only going to intimidate you with too much information at once. You really need a class or help from someone you know that is already reloading.

-Mike

Using a book to learn it is only going to intimidate you with too much information at once. You really need a class or help from someone you know that is already reloading.

-Mike

Yes, I will try class first, and also I think follow up with someone. Or, maybe after I buy my press and accessories see if someone will come on over my house to help me get it all set up. I will post that when I am ready.

if your ADD is that bad , maybe you shouldnt reload? reloading is a bit boreing. I like boreing though. Time to resize some brass.

well no, I don't actually have ADD lol, I am just saying sometimes hate classrooms. Brings me back to high school. I love sitting in my basement cleaning my guns and such for hours on end, so the actual act of reloading I will love. Just the learning part/classroom part I will have to suffer though.

I will do the class on any custom date that would better fit your schedule. I have done tons of them for people who couldn't otherwise make it on any officially scheduled date.

So, if you're one of those people, let's say, who has Sunday and Monday off from work, I can do a class for you.

Next class, and signup details are here:
http://weaponcrafttraining.com/schedule.php

I supply all materials for you to make ammo, both pistol and rifle (see the class details for which calibers are available). Best way to learn is hands on, and what's better than 1:1 training?

And, everything I cover, is also in the book I wrote that I give you a free copy of (for future reference). I'm 40 minutes from Kittery Trading Post, and 20 minutes from Cabelas.

One shouldn't bite the hand that feeds them, lest they sign up as a dealer.

Sent from the Hyundai of the droids, the Samsung Replenish, using Tapatalk.

-Mike

Mike is right. I learned the hard way... through books and online videos. I made a TON of mistakes... many of which were "newbie" mistakes likely addressed in classes. It took me a while to get to the point where I was producing lots of good ammo.

I know my way around the press pretty well now, but have still considered taking this class... to learn what I don't know. There's a lot to it. It's not hard, but you want to do it right. It's painful to learn that some step along the way was not done properly, and now you have hundreds of rounds of ammo that are worthless. It happens...

I'm putting off reloading until i have something other than a mosin/.22, and until i can convince the wife to let me put a bench in the livingroom.... (the basement is where scary spiders and dampness live)

From my HTC EVO via Tapatalk

I will take the GOAL class for now, because there headquarters is 15 mins from my house. But thank you for the offer. The bench part is taken care of. I am working on that today while I am off. It will double as my gun cleaning bench as well. I am going off of the NRMA plans I found on here. Basement has plenty of room, I will get a dehumidifier though or whatever else I need for the dapmness.

Is the class offered at GOAL really worth it? Like could you learn just as much from reading books, manuals, watching videos, etc?? I am sure there are tons of people that go to the class, and also a ton that just read the books or view videos. Was just wondering, which way is the best/easiest way to go. Sometimes in a classroom setting my ADD kicks in, [smile] so I was just wondering. I would only be loading handgun ammo like 9mm, 38, 357, 45auto, and some 45 colt. I think I know what press I will drop the money on, was just kind of curious.

With those two qualifiers, take the class. I learned just from books, many years ago before there were classes or an internet. Reading the books doesn't hurt and is actually quite helpful. The class will give you a head start.

If you're a smart reloader, you'll never stop learning.

Back
Top Bottom