• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

WTB ads really should include a price

I think WTB ads really should include a price the poster is willing to pay.

I like that we support WTB ads - I think it's a great benefit to the community that you can post what you're looking for and friendly folks will point you in the right direction, whether it be a shop's inventory or a friend who is selling or maybe their own collection.

But I'm getting really annoyed by people who post WTB ads, but refuse to pay anywhere near market price for the gun.

A guy posts WTB GLOCK 19, and you take the time to email him and he says he'll only pay $400 for it, or he wants to trade an old shotgun and a collection of Pez dispensers for it.

There is a difference between "WTB" and "looking for a charity deal." It makes me not want to respond to WTB ads anymore, which defeats their purpose.

Last edited:
Tony I agree with you. If someone says they want to pay 400 for a Glock model 19 around here, you'd know he was looking for a first model at least.

If somone offered 600 for a S&W, you'd know they were looking for a nicer condition gun for the money.

I think WTB ads really should include a price the poster is willing to pay.

I like that we support WTB ads - I think it's a great benefit to the community that you can post what you're looking for and friendly folks will point you in the right direction, whether it be a shop's inventory or a friend who is selling or maybe their own collection.

But I'm getting really annoyed by people who post WTB ads, but refuse to pay anywhere near market price for the gun.

A guy posts WTB GLOCK 19, and you take the time to email him and he says he'll only pay $400 for it, or he wants to trade an old shotgun and a collection of Pez dispensers for it.

There is a difference between "WTB" and "looking for a charity deal." It makes me not want to respond to WTB ads anymore, which defeats their purpose.

What kind of Pez dispensers? Stamped? Pre or Post ban? PM me.

What was his/her post count?

Not to say that has everything to do with it, but we have all seen some weirdness in the last month of panic.

First person to name a price is the loser.

I think the original poster has a point. If you research a gun enough, you should be familiar with it's fair market value. I've watched the prices on used Glock 27's the last 6 months. I knew exactly the kind of gun I would be able to get for $650, and I got it (which is to say you can pretty much get an excellent to new Glock 27 used through the classifieds). I was able to get not one, but two offers within a matter of a couple days. Both were in pristine condition.

I think those who post WTB ads for typical stuff, but don't post a price and don't get responses could learn something from this.

I would be willing to give you half a dozen loaded pez dispensers, 12 packs of peeps, and one chocolate bunny the solid one , not hollow; for those crimson trace grips you got.[smile]

First person to name a price is the loser.

^ this ^

if i know i'm willing to pay 50,000 pennies but you offer to sell me one for 40,000 pennies... it's a win for both. you sold it at a price i was willing to pay. if you say you want 75,000 pennies, i say "no thanks, the highest i'll go is 60,000 pennies, unwrapped.

Offer your gun for your asking price. It's up to the WTBer to say yes or no. Fin.

The fair market price can vary wildly depending on the particular gun being offered. Requiring a price won't benefit anyone, especially not in a state like MA where you may never even find what you're generally looking for, let alone a specific model or finish.

There's an easy solution... just don't respond to the ad. Or list your gun.

-Mike

There's an easy solution... just don't respond to the ad. Or list your gun.

-Mike

This, tell me what you have and looking to get for it, then ill throw what I'm willing to pay and decide whether we deal or not. Its not rocket science, I'm not going to tell you straight up that ill give you 500$ for your gun and 1 mag or 1000$ for your gun, 10 Mags, 3 holsters, 390 rounds of ammo and a coupon for a free big Mac.

I must admit, I put my first WTB add up the other day, and it had no price. I know what market vaule is, and I know how much I CAN pay, but I want to pay the least amount possible and would prefer the other guy to start the bid... After all if they open at $300 for a stripped lower, I know to not even try to counter... If they open at $20 for the same I know to buy everything they have:)

As others have said, there is no reason to be offended when answering a WTB because you still offer what you have at YOUR price - not theirs, and you still have the right to decline any offer less than YOU think your item is worth, it just depends if you are wanting to take the time to reply, or not. It isn't even logical to offer an amount of money for an unseen article, no matter what it is because the value is always dependent on condition, finish, age, accessories, etc. As someone else stated does it just come with 1 mag, or 10 and 3 holsters plus ammo? Also as someone pointed out, lack of location is a HUGE problem in the classifieds! Most people don't want to drive to the other side of the state for an item, so putting the location saves everyone time in wasted inquiries and replies. Honestly if you want to gripe about not listing a price, how about the guys that compose a whole "for sale" ad, and then don't put how much they want!? Talk about a waste of time!

^ this ^

if i know i'm willing to pay 50,000 pennies but you offer to sell me one for 40,000 pennies... it's a win for both. you sold it at a price i was willing to pay. if you say you want 75,000 pennies, i say "no thanks, the highest i'll go is 60,000 pennies, unwrapped.

I offer 25,000 ass pennies. That took _forever_.

Not at all sensitive, just annoyed. I used to make a habit of offering any gun I was going to sell to the WTB ads before posting it, and if I had a chance to check the inventory of a LGS, I'd alert any WTB ads if I saw something they were looking for. But I'm pretty much done wasting my time with them, as I'm sure are many other people, and I think thats a shame.

How much time does it really take you to PM the guy and say your price is $600, or whatever, and then see if he's still interested or if he counters with another offer? I don't understand the problem here. I don't care if its a WTB or a WTS, if the buyer is lowballing you, the result is the same. Either both parties compromise a bit, or you walk away. The end.

When doing business you have to learn not to let you emotions get in the way.You tell the person what you want for the item,he tells you what he want to give you if you do not come to an agreement then you just walk away nothing lost.There are a few things that burn my ass,the first one is when you offer someone alot less for thier item then what they think it is worth,and they act like you just tried tap his wife. Hey it is business just say no thank you and I go on my way.The next thing is when you agree on a price,and then when you meet up to do the transaction the other person starts to offer you less.The last one is the persons word,If I make a deal with you and I give you my word that deal on my part will stand.

Last edited:
"2. All "For Sale" ads MUST include a sale price. This isn't an auction site."

A 'WTB' ad is not a 'For Sale' ad. In fact, it may be the polar opposite.

"2. All "For Sale" ads MUST include a sale price. This isn't an auction site."

A 'WTB' ad is not a 'For Sale' ad. In fact, it may be the polar opposite.

Oops. I need to try reading for comprehension next time. That's what I get for posting at 3:30 AM

Back
Top Bottom