• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

WW2 Military Arms and Reproduction Shoot (MARS) 17Jun2012

Thank you all for shooting and next year, no holiday or fathers day shoots.
I think Memorial day and Fathers Day are both appropriate dates

If there are scoring errors...contact me ASAP.

I would like to build the MARS events into something more action oriented and standardized without being rule heavy. One goal is to have period correct pistols without the IPSC friendly fat mag wells for one. Anyone with thoughts or comments?
I agree with the period correctness. Also, will you allow speedloaders for revolvers? If not then mayve a separate wheel gun category (I know my time suffered when I single loaded)

Standings by % and a down ranking from General down to Private perhaps by 10% per rank drop? That sounds cool

Based on the quality of shooters so far- next year may include swingers and out and backs and for those expressing the interest- a simulated bayonet charge???
Bayonet charge and maybe a pick up gun for part of a stage?

Thank you all for shooting and next year, no holiday or fathers day shoots.
Actually, I thought that Memorial Day weekend was an appropriate time for it! I know that I was planning on attending when I set up the Appleseed schedule this year, thinking that Memorial Day was when the MARS shoot would be again. [sad]

I would like to build the MARS events into something more action oriented and standardized without being rule heavy. One goal is to have period correct pistols without the IPSC friendly fat mag wells for one. Anyone with thoughts or comments?
Oh, HELLS, yes! No modern arms, please! You want to shoot modern arms, go do IPSC, IDPA, USPSA or Steel Challenge. Plenty of places to wring out those Paras, etc. (and I say this as a Para P12 owner!) This should be for the actual firearms used back then.

In fact... what's the viewpoint of modern 1911s with 8 round magazines? Require them to be only loaded with 7, AND start with the gun in Condition 1?

Standings by % and a down ranking from General down to Private perhaps by 10% per rank drop?
Doesn't much matter to me but for those who like the rankings, sure; why not?

Based on the quality of shooters so far- next year may include swingers and out and backs and for those expressing the interest- a simulated bayonet charge???
Not sure what an "out and back" is but I guess I'll find out. As for bayonet charges... I've got the correct bayonet for my M1, so bring it on.

How about style points for correct period gear? Doesn't have to count for anything, but it sure would make for atmosphere if more people were encouraged to show up in fatigues. Or kilts, if they're Scots. [laugh]

Oh, HELLS, yes! No modern arms, please! You want to shoot modern arms, go do IPSC, IDPA, USPSA or Steel Challenge. Plenty of places to wring out those Paras, etc. (and I say this as a Para P12 owner!) This should be for the actual firearms used back then.

In fact... what's the viewpoint of modern 1911s with 8 round magazines? Require them to be only loaded with 7, AND start with the gun in Condition 1?
That's what we did this time, all pistols loaded to 7+1. Personally, I don't own a period correct 1911. I'm only really interested in one if I can get a real GI one, and they're just too pricey for me. I'm fine with taking the magwell off next time if I have to, but don't want to buy a new gun.

Not sure what an "out and back" is but I guess I'll find out. As for bayonet charges... I've got the correct bayonet for my M1, so bring it on.

How about style points for correct period gear? Doesn't have to count for anything, but it sure would make for atmosphere if more people were encouraged to show up in fatigues. Or kilts, if they're Scots. [laugh]

Bill did show up in full WW2 uniform and he won the match overall.

I would definitely be interested in this. I didn't make this one, was supposed to make it to another match the same. The American Zoot Shooters Association does something similar with period weapons from the 1920's thru 1940's, with the focus on the gangster guns. Basically it's all about the 1911 and the Tommy gun. They have what they call the "ten-foot" rule. If from ten feet away, the gun could pretty well pass for a period weapon, then it's good (based on the match director's call). For 1911s,
Any manufacture of single stack 1911 or 1911A1 handgun may be used. Modern “tactical” modifications such as oversized, ramped, painted dot or fiber optic sights (adjustable sights are permitted), extended slide releases, oversized and ambidextrous magazine releases and safeties, extended magazines and base pads, enlarged magazine wells (frame filing excluded), skeletal hammers, cross-drilled triggers, compensators and extended beaver tail or controls are not permitted.

Not sure if that helps.

Now, to find a long gun for these matches. :D

Aloha

That's what we did this time, all pistols loaded to 7+1. Personally, I don't own a period correct 1911. I'm only really interested in one if I can get a real GI one, and they're just too pricey for me.
I'd use my Sistema - made in 1953, it's close enough...

But if I'm not mistaken, didn't the US Army mandate that the 1911 be carried in Condition 3 - hammer down on an empty chamber? Shouldn't we be starting out that way at each stage?

Bill did show up in full WW2 uniform and he won the match overall.
I saw and got a nice pic of him. Color me impressed.

But if I'm not mistaken, didn't the US Army mandate that the 1911 be carried in Condition 3 - hammer down on an empty chamber? Shouldn't we be starting out that way at each stage?

I don't know what the army mandated, but I'm guessing in actual combat zones they carried loaded guns, no matter what the regs said.

I was really looking forward to this, but I just could not make it due to my schedule. I really hope that I don't have to wait another year for the next event.

If we are going to use a period weapons, what about period holsters? Having not attended one yet, it may be a moot question, but one that came to mind.
Aloha

\
Our Squad started Condition 3 with the exception of the last stage, where Condition 1 was allowed. All 1911 had 7 (no plus 1)

My thought would be 1 Pistol and 1 Mag; reloads have to be done via loose ammo into the mag or revolver.

My thought would be 1 Pistol and 1 Mag; reloads have to be done via loose ammo into the mag or revolver.
Why? What purpose does that serve? I want a shooting competition, not a mag loading competition. Should we bring our reloading presses and make ammo on the clock too?

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk 2

I don't know what the army mandated, but I'm guessing in actual combat zones they carried loaded guns, no matter what the regs said.

I wouldn't be surprised... anyone know any older combat vets we could ask? I'm actually kind of curious how it was really done, as opposed to what regs said.

If we are going to use a period weapons, what about period holsters? Having not attended one yet, it may be a moot question, but one that came to mind.
Aloha

Well... I did see some flapped holsters, and that was what I was carrying my .45 in last year.

Why? What purpose does that serve? I want a shooting competition, not a mag loading competition. Should we bring our reloading presses and make ammo on the clock too?

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk 2
Umm how about the extra challenge.
It isn't always about speed. Sure, I single loaded most of my rounds and my time shows. but I suppose if the fastest time is your goal, then wear all your USPSA stuff and have at it.

Back
Top Bottom