your carry gun

I'm just under 6'3" but if you count up the responses here I am certain the J frames win, for good reason. The .357 mag alloy frames are apparently impossible for any normal person to shoot. Other than that there are a dozen models to choose from.

Bill
642CT

I am 5'5" ~165lb. I went with the j-frame because it was manageable, concealable, and my recovery between shots is pretty good. Also, most .40 and .45 look like a third metallic appendage on me when CCing.

Having shot the .357, IMHO, it is too little mass to handle the round. IT smashes the hell out of the hand.

Anyone wants to try mine, I'd be happy to meet them up at Harvard.

I do like the Miculek grip on the 642/442... it literally makes a world of difference. With that grip shooting the 5/5/5 drill is a piece of cake.

It doesn't interfere with my shooting semi-auto's, but YMMV. When I pick up a semi-auto I go thumbs forward instinctively.

I just carry my 442 IWB... but I recently stopped carrying it because I can't shoot it very well. I'm looking into a semi auto now, I need something with a lighter trigger. I guess I have weak hands :( I really liked how small and comfortable the 442 is but I just can't entrust myself with it.
Learn how to shoot the 442 it's a great, powerful, and easy concealable weapon.

I carry a walther pps in 9mm most of the time now. Sometimes I carry a SW P99C .40 if I'm in Springfield - [laugh]

So far my carry is a full size 1911. I imagine it's going to be much harder to conceal come spring/summer though, given my small frame.

With the right belt, holster, placement, and cant you should be able to hide it with just a t-shirt. Play around with your setup, especially if you have an adjustable holster.

With the right belt, holster, placement, and cant you should be able to hide it with just a t-shirt. Play around with your setup, especially if you have an adjustable holster.

Yup, I've carried my 1911 a fair amount, just like this with no problem. Used Milt Sparks Summer Special 2 IWB or Brommeland OWB holsters.

Most often a K frame in either .357 Magnum or .38 Special:
65side2-1.jpg

DSC00322.jpg

Sometimes a .44 Magnum N frame loaded with .44 Specials:
DSC00260.jpg

29side1-1.jpg

For those who think you have to be huge to conceal a big revolver, think again. I am 5'9" and 185:
DSC00265.jpg

DSC00266.jpg

When I need to downsize, usually this:
MPCochiseDefender.jpg

I also have a full size M&P but I hardly ever carry it because the butt is just too damn hard to conceal. It's the only handgun I've ever been made with.

I also have a J frame that I almost never carry. It is so easy to hide much larger, more powerful guns, so why bother. The 637 is now relegated to pocket carry in a winter coat when accessing a belt holstered gun is too difficult. In other words, not often.

So far my carry is a full size 1911. I imagine it's going to be much harder to conceal come spring/summer though, given my small frame.

See my pics showing how easy it is to conceal a .44 Magnum in a medium-build body. A 1911 is child's play in comparison.

I generally stick a S&W 442 with crimson trace grips in a pocket. Sometimes I carry a Sig 239 with Milt Sparks IWB holster.

Gotta say the 442 is very convenient, but have to have some "deep pockets" to carry well.

[grin]

Rich

I'm 5'6", about 135lbs, so small is best. Any recommendations?

We're pretty close in size and I switch between my S&W 642 and my G23. Admittedly the Glock is a little bigger and I'm toying with the idea of a different holster for it, either small of back or cross draw. Will know after this coming Saturday when I get to spend a few hours trying out new styles.

I carry a Glock 23 (same one since I started carrying in '97) I also carry a P3AT when the weather is warmer (gets hot in NC)
I am on the lookout for a Springfield Armory 1911 with Crimson Trace Grips to start carrying as well.
The Glock will always be my tried and true!

Glock 36 in .45acp. Slim, light and potent. As others have posted, clothing usually dictates what I carry. Sometimes carry my Colt Officers .45. Pick the proper holster and train with it.

My baby is a HK USPc .45 with the Comp-Tax Minotaur MTAC IWB Holster.

I picked up a PPS this weekend and if everything goes the way I hope I might start carrying her this summer.

I rotate between 3 guns, depending on the circumstances: Seecamp .32 (the gun to carry when you can't carry a gun), the S&W 642 and the Glock 33 in .357 Sig. The thing that brings all of these together is the fact that I can carry all of them in a pocket holster. Sure, the G33 is a brick, but it is do-able and the .357 Sig round is nice to have.

Guess everything comes down to personal preference. For years, when I was servicing ATM's carried either a Model 19 (highly customized) or an "old relic" 1911...also highly customized.

Knew both, trusted both, practiced with both, never had to use either. Always qualified with .45 to cover "all lesser calibers". My preference? .45
Second place? .357 Grin, that's just me. [wink]

I carry a Sig P229/.40 in a Desantis OWB in the winter and a smart carry the rest of the year. I carry an extra mag in my pocket because the mag holders I've had more or less sucked.

There was a couple of months when I carried a full size HKUSP OWB but I just didn't like the plasticy feeling on the switches and back to the Sig I went,

If I really thought I needed extra firepower I'd bring the 870 or the AR.

If I didn't have to holster it I'd leave everything else at home and arrive with the .44 Deagle already in SA and pre-drawn.

On those "light days" Model 36 IWB or Pocket

Usually- Charter 44 special snubnose OWB

When I am feeling automatic- Kahr K9 Small of back with extra magazine

Notice, no 'safeties', except whats behind and between my eyes and ears.

CCW pistol.
It was a S&W 342 J-frame with the compact CT grips on it.
That pistol now resides in the HD pistol safe with a surefire combat light.
Now it's a lowly .32 Seecamp loaded with 60 grain Silvertips. Why? Because for pocket carry it's half the size, same weight, much more thin, and gives me six shots vice five.
It is the smallest CCW pistol that's on the MA AG list.
smitty

Back
Top Bottom