• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

your feelings on the Savage 10-FP SR?

just what the title says, im going to sell all my 243 stuff and go to 308 and am very interested in the model 10FP.

Dom

It was a toss up for me between the Savage 10FP and the Remmington 700 SPS Tactical in .308..... I ended up with the Remington because 1. it was in stock when I wanted to order it 2. I dis like both the stock and trigger on both the Remington and savage and knew I would be upgrading. The Hogue on the Remington sucked less and the Remington was less $$$ upfront so it made sense ( to me ) as I would have eventually replaced the stock and trigger on either rifle. 3. This would be my 1st try at a scoped rifle and I wanted to keep it affordable..... 4. I wanted a shorter rifle for a 1st, and If I enjoy it I plan on building a second longer/heavier gun later with better quality stuff....

The Savage is a quality firearm and I wouldnt hesitate to buy it if it fits what you are looking for

When getting into scoped guns remember, good glass is EXPENSIVE! I decided to go cheap, and made some sacrifices doing so..... I wanted glass that both the reticle and knobs were mil/mil, I also wanted made in Japan not China, and I also decided fixed power would get the best result in the price range I was shopping in. There are far better marksmen here that could comment better and have much more experience and knowledge.... For my $$$ the SWFA stuff seemed decent, although I had my heart set on a Trijicon 5x20 but it would have doubled the cost of my build price

Heres my 700 so far

Remington 700 SPS tactical 20" 308 $608
KRG bolt knob $28
Weaver Tactical 20 MOA base $35
Burris 30mm Medium rings $35
SWFA SS 12x42 mil/mil scope $300

Timney trigger $130 is on order
Burris bipod $90 is on its way

Should be a decent $1200 rifle when complete

DSCN1126_zps90b2d07f.jpg

DSCN1127_zpsbd7b489d.jpg

Last edited:
Love your build DRB, what is the date of MFG on that gun? no matter what im going to upgrade my stock on the gun eventually, leaving the trigger alone if i buy the savage, going with a DNZ one piece scope mount and a Vortex 6-24x50 scope.

Love your build DRB, what is the date of MFG on that gun? no matter what im going to upgrade my stock on the gun eventually, leaving the trigger alone if i buy the savage, going with a DNZ one piece scope mount and a Vortex 6-24x50 scope.

I dont remember the exact date, August/2012 I think?

I hope it shoots ok, the intention is a good consistent 300 yard gun ( although I think the x12 magnification scope may be too much )

I'm buying ammo at the moment instead of upgrading the stock. Good quality match ammo is not easy to find. I managed to find about 200 rounds of hornady/black hills and 200 rounds of cheap privi to break it in

Which Vortex model are you looking at?

Im impressed with the SWFA SS for $300..... It came in the mail 2 days ago and I spent a few hours practicing finding some distances before I put it on the rifle. Kinda fun and challenging! I was able to get pretty close distances doing the math out, such at milling out using bricks in a chimney near by to find the distance ( obviously scope not mounted on the gun )

I wish my Rem had the 1:10 twist that the Savage does, hopefully my 1:12 will stabilize the 168 bullets OK

Last edited:
I have the savage in 223 and love it. The trigger is actually pretty good. The stock will be replaced, but low priority. Overall very fun gun.

that slower twist might like something of the lighter variety but you wont really know until you get er out and poke some paper. you can always reload or if you have a friend who does, buy some materials and tailor a load to the gun which is a dandy thing to do. Prvi Partizan stuff is typically pretty good actually, my 243 shoots the 90gr Prvi stuff like no ones business!

Looking at this scope: Vortex Optics - Viper HS 6-24x50 Dead-Hold BDC

but am deff open to ideas! looking to spend 4-600 bucks on the scope itself if anyone knows a well made scope in that range.

Doesn't the FP come with the HS stock? I would go savage if i were you.

Also the Rem ain't a bad choice either, it's got a shit ton of after market stuff. Also they produce Remage barrels now so swapping a barrel on a 700 is just like the savage (barrel but style)

Be willing to spending on the glass than the gun. Vortex puts out a pretty good scope for the money I don't think you can go wrong with either the SWFA or the Vortex

that slower twist might like something of the lighter variety but you wont really know until you get er out and poke some paper. you can always reload or if you have a friend who does, buy some materials and tailor a load to the gun which is a dandy thing to do. Prvi Partizan stuff is typically pretty good actually, my 243 shoots the 90gr Prvi stuff like no ones business!

Looking at this scope: Vortex Optics - Viper HS 6-24x50 Dead-Hold BDC

but am deff open to ideas! looking to spend 4-600 bucks on the scope itself if anyone knows a well made scope in that range.

A number of bullets MFG's say 1:12 will be great for their 168gr bullets but internet hear say says different..... I dont really think it will be an issue and I dont plan on running 175 or heavier anyway.

I already reload ( but not for 308 ) and I have 300 hornady and Sierra bullets on the way to try some loads out

After looking through a bunch of scopes at a few shops I would say, buy a better glass with lower magnification!
Vortex Optics - Viper PST 2.5-10x44 EBR-1 MOA

A LOT of the $400 dollar scopes in the larger magnification are completely useless above x12 or x14 power anyway

- - - Updated - - -

Doesn't the FP come with the HS stock? I would go savage if i were you.

Also the Rem ain't a bad choice either, it's got a shit ton of after market stuff. Also they produce Remage barrels now so swapping a barrel on a 700 is just like the savage (barrel but style)

Be willing to spending on the glass than the gun. Vortex puts out a pretty good scope for the money I don't think you can go wrong with either the SWFA or the Vortex

The FP does NOT come with the accustock

EDIT Just took the scope off the rifle as I wanted to play with it a bit more...... I find it hard to believe its a 300 scope. I do wish I had the money for the Trijicon, but the SWFA SS will do fine for now. I was able to clearly see heat mirage coming from a neighbors chimney ( once again, scope not mounted to the rifle before someone wants to give me a safety lecture ) and even in high contrast areas and light changing from bright to heavy overcast with snow objects stayed clear.

OP, your welcome to try my rifle but with the snow it will probably be march before she gets sighted in...

Last edited:
I would also recommend a Weatherby Vanguard Varmint or a Howa M1500 Varmint. I have a regular Vanguard pillar and glass bedded in a Boyd's stock with a Millet TRS-1 scope, Talley 20 MOA rail, and Burris 30mm rings, and it's a tac driver. You can also get the Howa in a Blackhawk Axiom stock that's supposed to be an excellent shooter.

i think it is the FPC that comes with a Chote (sp?) stock, im also mulling that gun over as well just for the different stock etc. My only reasoning for the high magnification is I eventually want to stretch the gun out further than 600 yds, but i do agree that clarity of the glass is far more important than magnification.

on edit: also looking at this scope: Vortex Optics - Viper 6.5-20x50 PA Mil Dot

At 600 yards clarity in glass will be MUCH more important that magnification!!!!! bullet drop and drop will double or triple between 300 and 600 yards so seeing mirage will be much more important

Remember rifle scopes are not to view bullet holes in a target, but should be designed to be clear and give the most information as to conditions (wind, mirage ) target size and range and consistent scope adjustments ( ie scope deviation in tracking for elevation and windage )

Not that it applies here as I will never be a professional, but some of the longest shots by marksmen have been performed using x10 or x12 optics.

Last edited:
Just a thought as I was just in the same position. You could always buy the action and build the rifle exactly how you want it. I priced it out and for a little bit more I can get everything exactly the way I want it.

its true tacticalpanda, but the actions (as priced on their site) were in the neighborhood of 7 bills with tax. i would rather have the gun i can shoot now so i can see what honestly needs improvement. a very good friend of mine highly recommended the M10FPC as the action was sound, stock was sound, and with the accutrigger turned down you can really "do work".

Im not doing this on a shoe string budget, but $1200 bucks or so is my limit. unless jesus loves me and i find a wad of hundreds on the ground (which happened to me once) then I'm sticking to that kinda money.

Is $1200 the price with the optic? I just order this which is a bit over $1200

Stevens 200 action (can be chambered in 22-250, .243, .260, and .308)
Mcree Stock
Criterion Barrel
rifle basix trigger

You could always go with a Choate Varmint stock which would cut the price by $400 and add a CDI precision detachable mag (if that is a bit much but you can also buy aftermarket mags that are 10rd if you went with a savage 10 trophy XP (sell the optics/stock/barrel and get back $200 or so from Darkeagle Custom, Inc.)

1200 with optic. ive got a little walkin around money from tax time, if i can sell my 243 before i buy this next gun i can go a little further with the money. I am also not as well versed in installing barrels and setting head spacing etc as i would like to be, but teachers of that sort of thing are hard to come by if you want a hands on experiance [laugh]

Is $1200 the price with the optic? I just order this which is a bit over $1200

Stevens 200 action (can be chambered in 22-250, .243, .260, and .308)
Mcree Stock
Criterion Barrel
rifle basix trigger

You could always go with a Choate Varmint stock which would cut the price by $400 and add a CDI precision detachable mag (if that is a bit much but you can also buy aftermarket mags that are 10rd if you went with a savage 10 trophy XP (sell the optics/stock/barrel and get back $200 or so from Darkeagle Custom, Inc.)

I think the key to this process is knowing exactly what you want and WHY you want it..... Speaking for myself, I didnt and still dont. I have a little experience shooting at intermediate ranges, but not with scoped rifles. My particular setup was designed to be an entry level build to try out a different type of shooting than I have done. If I like it I can upgrade with a clear understanding of "WHY" I want to upgrade or I can build a second rifle ( and probably will ) that suits a different type of shooting or distance

Thats the beauty of the savage. You can do the barrel work yourself. All you need is a barrel wrench and a vise and you can do all the work in the comfort of your own home (and if you do go this route you can borrow my wrench and save $15). This is why I went savage or rem 700 as it would have added another cost .

If $1200 is your budget I again would still go savage 10 as they are known to be pretty accurate out of the box. Plus you can buy 10rd mags for them with no modification as well as an awesome trigger. Then take the remaining $600 and go with an optic.

I think the key to this process is knowing exactly what you want and WHY you want it..... Speaking for myself, I didnt and still dont. I have a little experience shooting at intermediate ranges, but not with scoped rifles. My particular setup was designed to be an entry level build to try out a different type of shooting than I have done. If I like it I can upgrade with a clear understanding of "WHY" I want to upgrade or I can build a second rifle ( and probably will ) that suits a different type of shooting or distance

This as well.

My goal was a long range paper puncher. Just found a long distance club. However now I'm thinking more about the tactical rifle competitions which would change everything that I just built.

i also want to punch paper at distance, but also have the gun be functional for all purposes. I don't mind a heavy gun, Im a stout young man so the heavy barrels don't scare me off. I am going for more of a tactical style gun than anything as far as look and function, but this will be my first "nice" bolt gun. My fiancee has a Howa 1500 that is a super shooter, but I admire and lust for the savage.

Thats the beauty of the savage. You can do the barrel work yourself. All you need is a barrel wrench and a vise and you can do all the work in the comfort of your own home (and if you do go this route you can borrow my wrench and save $15). This is why I went savage or rem 700 as it would have added another cost .

If $1200 is your budget I again would still go savage 10 as they are known to be pretty accurate out of the box. Plus you can buy 10rd mags for them with no modification as well as an awesome trigger. Then take the remaining $600 and go with an optic.

I agree with this with the except the Accutrigger..... With any serious time at 500-600 yards you will be swapping out the accutrigger for something more suitable for shooting at those distances

What stock were you thinking about adding?

Also have you found the 10-fp locally? I'm having a hard time finding a Mark II locally and a dealer told me savage is backed up, 6-8 weeks I don't know if this affects your decision.

I agree with this with the except the Accutrigger..... With any serious time at 500-600 yards you will be swapping out the accutrigger for something more suitable for shooting at those distances

I thought the accutrigger was pretty good, and was one of the advantages of the Savage over the Remington. I think the accutrigger goes down to 2.5 lbs, is there some other consideration for 500+ yard shooting?

I thought the accutrigger was pretty good, and was one of the advantages of the Savage over the Remington. I think the accutrigger goes down to 2.5 lbs, is there some other consideration for 500+ yard shooting?

Rifle basix makes a trigger that goes down to 4oz. I know all accutriggers go down to 2.5lbs, but I think on the LE series they go down to 1.5lb (don't quote me on this as I haven't heard this from Savage but from others on a forum)

Both are stock triggers and more than likely be replaced when you start seeing their limitations out to any range...... trigger pull weight is not everything, and there are good reasons why you dont see many stock triggers on rifles that are used competitively. I find the lever inside the accutrigger the most obnoxiousness thing on the planet, and I chose the crap X-Mark pro over it ( just my opinion )

LE triggers go to 8oz's last I knew. perhaps I also have been misinformed, its not outside of the realm of possibility.

Panda, looking into a B&C medalist (sp?) for the future. first i just want to get it, scope it, and shoot it. If i desire any changes which i may or may not then i will make some mods. i am not a precision marksman at the moment, but look to learn and develop my skills and want a gun i can use and not get bored with for all ranges. In my mind this gun fits the bill! DRB was kind enough to forward me a link to the savage tactical carbine which is also a excellent gun, and i may consider that as well. I have made the decision to go with a Savage regardless of style.

1200 with optic. ive got a little walkin around money from tax time, if i can sell my 243 before i buy this next gun i can go a little further with the money. I am also not as well versed in installing barrels and setting head spacing etc as i would like to be, but teachers of that sort of thing are hard to come by if you want a hands on experiance [laugh]

I've got a Savage wrench and receiver vise you can use, if you want to put one together instead of buying. I'm sure there's a shooting bench at Lee sturdy enough to stick a vise on. [smile]

Back
Top Bottom