your feelings on the Savage 10-FP SR?

Well, two ways to go, I think. The Stevens 200 build that TacticalPanda listed above is a great way to end up with a really nice rifle immediately. The 200 is effectively a non-accutrigger Savage 10 action. If you're going to replace the stock, trigger and barrel anyway, why spend extra cash on Savage parts you weren't going to use? There are a lot of these out there used, they were cheap when new, and they are a great spot to start from for a right hand build. (Don't I wish Stevens offered lefty 200s...) The B&C Medalist is an interesting looking stock - but I haven't seen one in person yet. I want to, because I like the look of the stock, and I'd like to see if the aluminum chassis would get in the way of converting one to left hand. Not to pricey, either.

Or, if you can track down one of the Savage 10 FP series in 308, you can shoot right now, and upgrade trigger, barrel and stock in the future. At that point if you decide to press on to another caliber, just change the barrel. (Well, and maybe the bolt head and mag box, depending on which caliber). You'll also get to shoot it before you start picking upgrades, which might influence what you want to change. The factory Savage barrels usually shoot pretty well out of the box, too.

What it may come down to is what's available in the current gun buying frenzy. I think the biggest concern with building on a Stevens right now is parts availability. Of course, if you can't find a 10 FPxx either, it's kind of a moot point. Would you be happier with a factory built rifle ready to go out of the box, or does the process of choosing and finding each individual part of the rifle sound like more fun? Total builds never seem to run totally smooth, although the end result is usually worth it. If you get the factory rifle, you can order a Rifle Basix trigger, and when they tell you they're on backorder until the 5th of Whenever, you can keep shooting until they ship your upgrade.

Digging on the precision carbine, affordable and well equipped from the factory. Gonna run it for a while and if i really want to toss some stuff on it, i can later on.

Fantastic post btw kevin, apriciate your thoughts!

Dom

Last edited:
Digging on the precision carbine, affordable and well equipped from the factory. Gonna run it for a while and if i really want to toss some stuff on it, i can later on.

Fantastic post btw kevin, apriciate your thoughts!

Dom

Put a decent quality optic on it and save for quality ammo! When you miss, you know it will be you and not the gun/ammo/scope! Best feeling is a good group that you know is yours, and a bad group you know you can correct

I cant thank all you guys enough for the thoughts and input. Im going to invest the rest of my allowance on a good scope, and maybe some extra dough for a nice bipod. Perhaps fate will shine on me and i will get more back from taxes than i thought!

Dom

Thought I would share an upgrade to my "budget" 700 build that happened this last week courtesy of a more than generous NES'er.....

My 700 now sits in a B&C Medalist A5, and its VERY happy to be out of the Hogue!!! Shown pictured in front of my Tactical Wood Burning device in Foliage Green

My setup is now as follows

Rem 700 SPS Tactical .308
Weaver 20 moa Tactical Base
Burris 30mm Tactical Rings
SWFA SS Mil/Mil 12x42 Scope
KRG 700 Bolt Knob
B&C Medalist A5 stock
Harris BRM 6-9 bipod

So Far Im right about $1300 into this build ( although that took some patience and a bunch of luck with the stock )

DSCN1151_zpsf61a42ba.jpg

DSCN1154_zps57779f1a.jpg

Last edited:
Dude, that thing is tight like prom night. im still waiting on my tax money. i also found in the deep recesses of my collection a savage model 110 in 300 win mag that may end up being hot rodded with a Shaw barrel and some other goodies.

[laugh] i took it out of the closet and said "hmm, i wonder where this came from!" and my lady is standing behind me laughing "the rifles are breeding! when are they going to breed me a AR of my own?" [smile]

Back
Top Bottom