9x23!! Your thoughts!

Apparently this is a very interesting cartridge, I have been scouring over the last few days on the interwebs to see what I can find on it. Got a bunch of good data, but would like to see what the NES crowd thinks!

Apparently it can blast some 115gr rounds close to 1700fps, and most rounds operate in the 1400-1500fps range. People claim light recoil, although I am not sure how. (Uber Compensators?)Best brass is winchester "they" say and origionally built off of a .223 case I think. Or was that the 10mm to the 9mm or is that the 9x25.... gah. Either way it can use a .38super mag for a 10+1 rounds in the 1911 platform. And with springs shockbuffs and the right heavy barrel and extractor tuning says it feeds great too. Seems hollow points at 1400fps is a delicious defense round.
/off soapbox

Ok NES'ers take it away your thoughts! [popcorn]

Apparently this is a very interesting cartridge, I have been scouring over the last few days on the interwebs to see what I can find on it. Got a bunch of good data, but would like to see what the NES crowd thinks!

Apparently it can blast some 115gr rounds close to 1700fps, and most rounds operate in the 1400-1500fps range. People claim light recoil, although I am not sure how. (Uber Compensators?)Best brass is winchester "they" say and origionally built off of a .223 case I think. Or was that the 10mm to the 9mm or is that the 9x25.... gah. Either way it can use a .38super mag for a 10+1 rounds in the 1911 platform. And with springs shockbuffs and the right heavy barrel and extractor tuning says it feeds great too. Seems hollow points at 1400fps is a delicious defense round.
/off soapbox

The 9x23 is a modern version (rimless) version of the Super. It is capable of high velocities and pressures because Winchester uses some extremely strong brass for this round. Any claims of reduced recoil are pure BS, unless you use a comp. The advantages of this round are the ballistics, the disadvantages are ammo cost and expensive brass for the reloader. The 38 Super Comp is a similar round with cheaper (and weaker) brass designed to make IPSC Major. If you reload, a good choice might be 9x23 ammo for carry/personal protection and reloads for practice using the cheaper brass. Last time I checked 9x23 WW brass was $180 per 1000!

Ok NES'ers take it away your thoughts! [popcorn]

Just get a 38 Super or a 357 Sig. Both are equally as capable in practical terms and ammo is a hell of a lot easier to fnd, particularly the 357.

tokarov

Just get a 38 Super or a 357 Sig. Both are equally as capable in practical terms and ammo is a hell of a lot easier to fnd, particularly the 357.

a cz52 or t33 in 7.62x25 blows them both away. if you can find one in ma.they will be between $200 and $250. plenty of surplus ammo [watch out for bad and corrosive lots] and new loadings with some defensive rounds being produced. i prefer s&b; new manufacture, excellent quality and inexpensive.[smile]

9x23 is a niche cartridge. You'll find most guns in that caliber were built for the USPSA's Open Division (like mine).

Note: .38 Super works just fine in mine.

9x23 is similar to a 38 super without the "semi rim" (though there may be differences in brass thickness at the base).

It is generally possible to use 9x23 ammo in a 38 super gun - you'll have a slightly looser fit at the breechface, and the extractor won't grab onto as much metal. If you're going to shoot 9x23 exclusively, you'll probably be better off using an extractor with a slightly larger hook.

If your gun is set up with a 9mm breechface, it's ideal for the 9x23, but this configuration will NOT allow you to shoot 38 super as the case head is too large. There's nothing quite like showing up to sight in your new gun with 38 super ammo and realizing you have the 9mm breechface installed and left the one for 38 super at home. I know :).

The lack of the semi rim on the 9x23 is thought by many to enhance reliability since you don't have to drag that rim over the other cases in the magazine or deal with the rim effecting stacking of the rounds.

Most hot loads for 38 Super and 9x23 exceed SAAMI specs and require a gun specifically built to take the added pressure. You're not going to find that sort of hot loading in a factory produced carry ammo.

The best brass for 9x23 is Lapua, but to say it is expensive is an understatement (it makes Winchester brass, which is pretty good, look cheap).

Last edited:
Most hot loads for 38 Super and 9x23 exceed SAAMI specs and require a gun specifically built to take the added pressure. You're not going to find that sort of hot loading in a factory produced carry ammo.

Indeed. Factory .38 Super barely moves the slide on my race gun.[laugh]

Or you could skip all that crap and just use 10mm Auto. [laugh]

Sorry, couldn't resist. That's about as close to a wildcat as
I ever intend on getting. Has more than enough juice out of
an autoloader.

-Mike

Or you could skip all that crap and just use 10mm Auto.

And thus throw away the advantage of several additional rounds in the magazine, the difference becoming more pronounced the larger the mag volume.

Not a thrilling trade-off for a competition gun, which is what most of them are.

Touche!

while the 7.62 is a little bit smaller, im sure it does some good work. Course when you add size AND speed... SpeedxMass=Pain. well see prior equation. But to contradict that a bit, ok maybe not really at all, but even something small.... if going really really really fast can make some damage... see following link.

http://www.gunblast.com/Kightlinger.htm

2,600 FPS out of a fullsize beretta, sure it may be a smallish round. but damn. I think the energy and shock wave might liquidate some nearby organs. Course a .500 at 1500fps hollow point is king I 'spose.... [laugh2] Thats for Chris and EddieCoyle

22 reed express

22. reeds express is a wildcat which is going into production. made by necking down the 7.62x25 to .22 cal using various .223 bullet wieghts. it give similar results. you have to buy a drop in conversion barrel, dies are availible. with dies and ammo. it will cost about $300-$400 to convert a cz52[a $200 gun]. in the future drop in barrels should be out for the 1911 and others. you can use .22/.30 cal sabots to convert to .223 but the results are poor; pressure,tumbling, feeding problems.[smile]
check out www.reedsammo.com

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom