• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Anyone else drooling over the new CZ Shadow 2?

I'll have to pull mine out
Its a target model out of the custom shop.
Any specific serial #'s I should look for?
No there isn't a specific serial number range. You'll know if it's the new generation model once you look inside the frame and see if you've got the relief cut.

I'll have to check mine tonight but I assume I'm good to go. I've put about 3000 rounds through it.

I'll have to check mine tonight but I assume I'm good to go. I've put about 3000 rounds through it.

I don't think round count is a good indication. I've got ~12K through mine and it hasn't cracked yet.

Andrew - were you using a buffer? Also, was it a surface crack or had it started making its' way towards the slide stop? I couldn't tell in the photo...but since you bothered to take it from the side, I'm assuming it was there.

I don't think round count is a good indication. I've got ~12K through mine and it hasn't cracked yet.

Andrew - were you using a buffer? Also, was it a surface crack or had it started making its' way towards the slide stop? I couldn't tell in the photo...but since you bothered to take it from the side, I'm assuming it was there.
I never used the buffers. It was a very slight surficial crack and had not made its way towards the slide stop. I probably wouldn't have thought much about it and/or noticed it if I hadn't been made aware of the older gen S2 frame's cracking.

Do you have the new generation S2?

I really didn't want to send it back but I have no idea how many more rounds it would have taken for it to fail.

You got yours somewhat recently so I think it's probably the new gen model if I had to guess.
That's my guess, too, but since it was from an online vendor, no guarantee how long it was in their inventory. But, I'd say it's overwhelmingly likely mine's got the relief cut.

Do you have the new generation S2?

I really didn't want to send it back but I have no idea how many more rounds it would have taken for it to fail.

I have the older version. If I'm not mistaken, we got them around the same time, though mine is Polycoat. I just hate to have to send it in, then re-do all the work I did on this one.

Unless my eyes deceive me, mine does not have the relief cut. I need to clean mine, but I there's a spot I can't tell if it's a crack or not.

I have the older version. If I'm not mistaken, we got them around the same time, though mine is Polycoat. I just hate to have to send it in, then re-do all the work I did on this one.
Yeah it’s a royal PITA

Got sidetracked last night and only had time this morning to wipe the area quickly with Ballistol. I really can't tell. It looks like there might be a crack, but it might just be wear. Do any of you have an opinion?

Am I screwed? First matches are only a few weeks away...please don't make me shoot my Sig or Glock again...

Attachments

• 20190320_072147.jpg
    20190320_072147.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 43
  • 20190320_072157.jpg
    20190320_072157.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 42
  • 20190320_072208.jpg
    20190320_072208.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 41
  • 20190320_072230.jpg
    20190320_072230.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 40
  • 20190320_072337.jpg
    20190320_072337.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 41
  • 20190320_072432.jpg
    20190320_072432.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 40
Got sidetracked last night and only had time this morning to wipe the area quickly with Ballistol. I really can't tell. It looks like there might be a crack, but it might just be wear. Do any of you have an opinion?

Am I screwed? First matches are only a few weeks away...please don't make me shoot my Sig or Glock again...
I'd say that's starting to crack unfortunately. I can't see wear occuring laterally from the interaction of slide and frame. It might not progress hopefully.

I'd say that's starting to crack unfortunately. I can't see wear occuring laterally from the interaction of slide and frame. It might not progress hopefully.
That's my belief as well.
I hope I have the receipt somewhere. I usually hold onto all that stuff.
I guess I'll contact CZ and see what they say. I did hear their CS is quite good, one guy claimed they gave him free mags to offset the FFL transfer cost of a new frame. The warranty booklet in the case said three years, but online said five. The slide implies it's a 2017 manufacture, but since I got it in 2018 I should be covered either way, I hope.

Let's see if they can top Glock's CS, who, for just the cost of shipping, sent my Gen2 G19 that I purchased secondhand back in 7 days with brand new everything except slide, barrel, and frame.

I'm not 100% sure but it does seem like that is a crack beginning to form. Especially since it matches the same location as mine and all other photos of seen of cracked S2 frames.

You're not screwed as CZ will replace it but yeah USPSA is close to starting up again. Who knows how long it will take until it finally cracks all the way through and you have a chunk break off. Could be 50,000+ rounds from now or it could be 1,000 rounds from now. It's really a crapshoot. I really really didn't want to send mine back since I really wanted a S2 for upcoming USPSA matches especially Area 7 in June.
All depends on you. Wait until it fails then contact CZ or do it now? Will it still be under warranty when it fails down the road? Who knows.

That's my belief as well.
I hope I have the receipt somewhere. I usually hold onto all that stuff.
I guess I'll contact CZ and see what they say. I did hear their CS is quite good, one guy claimed they gave him free mags to offset the FFL transfer cost of a new frame. The warranty booklet in the case said three years, but online said five. The slide implies it's a 2017 manufacture, but since I got it in 2018 I should be covered either way, I hope.
Yeah their CS is great. I had a 75 compact that I sent back to them as it had tons of scratches/gouges on the slide and muzzle end of the barrel - likely been dropped. Anyway, they paid for return shipping and sent me a new one without much of a fuss.

I'm already out $67 in shipping to Cajun and I don't know yet if I'll have to transfer the replacement to a dealer. In which case I'm out another $25-$40. Not a ton of money but still a fair amount plus the inconvenience.

I'm not 100% sure but it does seem like that is a crack beginning to form. Especially since it matches the same location as mine and all other photos of seen of cracked S2 frames.

You're not screwed as CZ will replace it but yeah USPSA is close to starting up again. Who knows how long it will take until it finally cracks all the way through and you have a chunk break off. Could be 50,000+ rounds from now or it could be 1,000 rounds from now. It's really a crapshoot. I really really didn't want to send mine back since I really wanted a S2 for upcoming USPSA matches especially Area 7 in June.
All depends on you. Wait until it fails then contact CZ or do it now? Will it still be under warranty when it fails down the road? Who knows.
I'm gonna send them the pictures and stuff tonight and see what they respond.
I'm seeing an average turn around from CZ in general of 4-6 weeks. I'm on vacation one of those weeks anyway.
First match I have penciled in is Harvard on May 12, so it would be back before then based on the schedule.
Yeah, it would stink not to be able to use it for practice until then, and maybe longer if the turnaround is really bad, but I figure it's better to have it done before the season "gets going" and/or it really cracks and becomes a problem.

I guess it will really depend on what they say. I don't know if they would require more concrete proof of it actually cracking (since it seems borderline right now) or if they'd just say "we know there's a problem, let's just deal with it."

The outcome may affect my interest/desire to get a CZ455 for my suppressor and/or CZ Scorpion Evo.
I have read some bad CZ customer service posts, but also some really good ones.

Go figure Polenar just posted a CZ Media Day video today, ha.

I guess it will really depend on what they say. I don't know if they would require more concrete proof of it actually cracking (since it seems borderline right now) or if they'd just say "we know there's a problem, let's just deal with it."
This is my concern as well. The crack on mine is VERY surficial. Like I said in my initial post, my fingernail just barely catches on the crack. But CZ is aware of them cracking so it would behoove them to replace any S2's that have even the slightest evidence of cracking.

This is my concern as well. The crack on mine is VERY surficial. Like I said in my initial post, my fingernail just barely catches on the crack. But CZ is aware of them cracking so it would behoove them to replace any S2's that have even the slightest evidence of cracking.
The fact that they straight up added relief cuts indicates they know there is a problem to be solved. So to me it makes sense to just fix the ones where it is reported/requested. Waiting for it to fail, to me, sounds dumb, but I am not in finance or marketing, so take that for what it's worth. Just seems stingy.

The only reason I could see them wanting it to "fail worse" would be because they are denying there's an issue. But there seems to be copious info to the contrary plus the design change.

If they decline to take it back, I'll just see what a season of matches does. A relative of mine is looking into getting a CZ since I let him try mine and told him how much I liked it. So hopefully I won't have to eat my words.

The fact that they straight up added relief cuts indicates they know there is a problem to be solved. So to me it makes sense to just fix the ones where it is reported/requested. Waiting for it to fail, to me, sounds dumb, but I am not in finance or marketing, so take that for what it's worth. Just seems stingy.

The only reason I could see them wanting it to "fail worse" would be because they are denying there's an issue. But there seems to be copious info to the contrary plus the design change.

If they decline to take it back, I'll just see what a season of matches does. A relative of mine is looking into getting a CZ since I let him try mine and told him how much I liked it. So hopefully I won't have to eat my words.
Yeah I really doubt they will decline to take the older style S2's back especially if there is evidence (however minor/surficial it may be) of cracking.

Is your S2 stock or was work done on it?
Mine's stock. I just started USPSA last year and only ran mine in one match since I bought it late summer. Wanted to get a feel for what things I did or did not feel I needed to change.

ETA: one thing I think I do want to explore is a different mag release. Mine's not awesome, too stiff for me. Granted, I'm using my index finger since I'm left handed.

Mine's stock. I just started USPSA last year and only ran mine in one match since I bought it late summer. Wanted to get a feel for what things I did or did not feel I needed to change.

ETA: one thing I think I do want to explore is a different mag release. Mine's not awesome, too stiff for me. Granted, I'm using my index finger since I'm left handed.
Ohh you're a lefty huh?

Ohh you're a lefty huh?
Left-handed, cross eye dominant with astigmatism and degenerative myopia, yes. According to my eye doc I'm in the top 5% worst eyes in the nation.

In 10-15 years I won't be surprised if I'm relegated to dots. Which will suck, since other than my 10/22 I only run irons on everything I own.

I have my G19 set up for left handed mag release and I traded "up" from a Gen2 for it mainly because it also has the ambi slide release.
I might need a flamesuit, but I actually really liked the paddle release on the VP9 I tried. Probably the best mag release of any pistol I've used, although my P226 works well too.

I want someone to run a gun with a heel mag release in USPSA.

Back
Top Bottom