• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Blue Northern Trading Company - Ayer, MA

In Ayer

Bought a new vaquero there yesterday.Couldn't find one anywhere else in the state. I love the store. Half firearms and half fishing. Everyone really nice and helpful. It is definitely a trip into a rocky mountain type store, complete with a huge stuffed griz.

Amazingly, it's only five minutes off 495 on 2A. Website not much help on firearms. Prices a little high. But at least I found what I was looking for.

Good find. I'm a happy camper. Nice place just to visit if nothing else.

Support your local gunshop..all of them.

Re: Blue Northern Trading Company

News Shooter said:
Bought a new vaquero there yesterday.Couldn't find one anywhere else in the state.
Don't know if used matters or not, but FS has 2 listed on their used gun page.

Adam

When you post new gunshop info, PLEASE post address and website if you can so that others can find it (or avoid it, as the case may be). Thanks.

http://www.bluenorthern.com/

91 Littleton Rd, Ayer, MA 01432, 978-772-6779, 800-454-7647

Last edited:
I mostly wanted

to just get the gun shop thread going again...

But earlier this week I bought some reloaded ammo from them. It did not agree with my Beretta 92fs.

I called and asked if they would refund or exchange and they said absolutely they would. When I went back they were apologetic and replaced everything with factory ammo and even threw in some extra 9mm.

Can't beat that.

I really like the storeb

Wow I am shocked. Most places I have been to won’t take ammo back. One place (I can’t remember who) even had a sign clearly stating that ammo was non returnable or refundable.

EDIT BY ME, Sorry it was a website that says no returns on ammo....arghhh I'll learn..

My father's policy is to always make it right. He'll redo the ammo, replace it or refund your money, whatever makes you happy.

That's the way to do business, IMNSHO

Blue Northern is my favorite store. Their prices on new guns are about average. However their used gun prices are outstanding. They also get quantities of Mil-surp ammo than can be had at very good prices.

Three generations of Lynch's run the place and the service is excellent.

My gun club was hosting some archery thing today, and as such EVERY DAMN range was closed. Don't even get me started on that one!

Anyway, needing to do something gun related to keep me from going crazy, I checked the website, and found that Blue Northern Trading Company is open on Sundays.

I took the 25 minute ride over to check them out.

Nice shop. VERY big indeed, however only about 1/4 is gun related, as they carry more fishing stuff that I thought was available. The prices on used guns was fair, they had some surplus ammo for decent prices, right about the same as FS for the 308, but they did have a great deal on 7.62X54. Also, they were a buck or so cheaper on 16ga slugs, which I bought a couple of boxes. And just because I was there, and the 308 was the same price as Carl, I went ahead and got another 140 round battle pack. The folks there were VERY nice to deal with, and very helpful. They didn't have many handguns displayed, but they did have a VERY large selection of rifles. The new handgun prices were a bit higher than other places.

All in all a nice shop if you just simply enjoy outdoor sports, and nice to know they are open on Sunday as well. Also, they guy I was talking to told me that in the near future, they will be getting a bunch more reloading gear and supplies in, and they will most likely be selling presses, and all sorts of bullets as well.

I don't think this shop will be on my "regular visit" roster, but if they do get into more reloading stuff, that could change.

Adam

I wanted to bump this and put in a good word for these guys.

On a visit to Blue Northern about 6 months ago I mentioned that I'd like to get a .41 Magnum. Well, Bill Lynch from Blue Northern actually remembered, and called me yesterday to say that one had come in! Unfortunately, it was a Model 357 - Scandium .41 Mag and I was/am looking for a steel Model 57, so I passed.

However, while I was there a K31 caught my eye and the rest as they say...

This is a great shop with really good guys. When I started reloading for the .500 Mag, they didn't stock Titegroup, but they ordered it and had it for me the following Thursday. They did this a couple of times but now they stock it for me. This is the kind of service you get at a place like this.

Walked in to Blue Northern today on my lunch hour and bought my first, a Remington 514. Same model my dad used to shoot back back when, so I knew I wasn't going to pass it up when the gentleman that helped me picked it right out of the rack. Sorry I missed your name, sir, but that's okay. I'll be back, no doubt. [grin]

Excellent place! They have been the most helpful and pleasant of all the places I've been since getting my LTC. Their hours are very good and their prices are OK, although they don't have quite the selection of handguns as some other shops. This is the first place I look for something.

Another satisfied customer - good 9mm ammo prices

I've stopped by Blue Northern several times over the past couple of months and have always had an excellent experience. They are always very friendly and eager (but not overbearingly so) to help. Everybody always seems in a good mood and seem to genuinely care about their customers.

I can't speak to the prices on their guns, but they appeared to have a good supply of handguns and rifles. Their prices on 9mm handgun ammo are as good as I've seen (50 rnds/12.99 for USA made - equal to what I've seen in NH, though MA sales tax applies) and overall I'd say that they're the best place around the Groton, Littleton, Ayer area.

A little bump for a truly great shop. They are incredibly nice and helpful, always. About a week or two ago I stopped in and saw that they had the new S&W Nightguard revolver line in stock. I wanted the 396 in .44 special which they did not have, however they gladly let me handle all of the other models and offered to order me one. Yesterday I went back and placed the order. They jumped on the phone and called their regular sales guy at S&W who did not answer so they left a message. I was told he would call right back. I browsed for about 5 minutes (literally) and when the call did not come they immediately called back and requested another sales rep, found out that it was in stock, confirmed the price with me, placed the order and I will have it in one week. Great service done in a sociable and friendly manner. I could not ask for more.

This is also where I buy most of my powder for reloading. Probably the best local selection of powder around. As others have said their pricing on new guns is average, but great deals on used stuff.

So if you have not already, do yourself a favor and check this place out. It is a great shop!

+1 on the powder selection. They have a few dozen types of powder in stock. Whatever they don't have, they've been able to get for me by the following Thursday.

I'm new to this hobby. The guys at Blue Northern have been very helpful and patient answering all the questions a newb has when you first start out. Bill and his son, Ron and Dave, have steered me in the right direction every time. Additionally, they do have an excellent selection of rifles, handguns and accessories. If your out this way definately stop in and say Hello.

Last edited:
I was at Blue Northern Wednesday. Tom and Bill cleaned out their safe and now have display cabinet of all the handguns that were in their inventory prior to the "lists" that are now illegal to sell in Mass by licensed dealers. These guns are for sale to out of state buyers via FFL transfers and to those in law enforcement who qualify. They have Colts, Kimbers, Beretta Tomcats etc. The best thing is that they have them maked at the retail price they were for sale on the day they were banned in Mass.

If you live out of state, you might want to contact Bill or Ronnie and see what they have on display and what the asking prices are. There are some good deals to be had.

Mark L.

I just made a trip and took a look myself. I was floored by some of the stuff that Bill had in the "not MA compliant" display case. A brand new blued Colt 1991 priced at only $575 among others, but it can't be sold to anyone in this state because it was made (just) after the cut off date. Just another one of many sad examples of how f'd up our state is.

For you Maine and NH shooters, I strongly suggest you give them a call and check out what they have. Not only would you be making out on a deal, you'll be helping out one of our local dealers stay in business by freeing up what is otherwise un-movable inventory (thanks to some moonbat on Beacon Hill).

Went there to claim my Shirley raffle winnings.

These guys are extremely nice. They treated me like I had been a long time customer even though it was my first visit.

Definately a family business that treats their customers as if they were guests in their home.

Highly recommend it.

Worth the 50 mile drive from Salem, MA.

I had a wonderful experience there too. I stopped there with my 9 year old son a week after the pumpkin shoot to check out some pistols.

Ron treated us great, answered a bunch of newbie questions and especially made my son feel comfortable.

I've told my son how dangerous a gun can be and that if any of his friends ever showed him a gun to get away immediately (and tell an adult). So my son was very nervous going to a gun shop for the first time. By the end of our visit my son he was fine.

I'll be spending money there.

I thought I put a plug in for Blue Northern in another thread but I couldn't find it. Anyway, I bought my Sig 229 there and it was a very good experience. The price was reasonable and it was entertaining to hear the owner complain about MA laws[smile].

Back
Top Bottom