Blue Northern Trading Company - Ayer, MA

does anyone know there return policy on weapons? bought a shotgun there and dont really like it to much

does anyone know there return policy on weapons? bought a shotgun there and dont really like it to much

The same as any other shop. They'll give you about 60% of the value on a used gun.

You're better off selling any gun privately rather than selling it to a shop - no matter where you got it.

Like EC said, Most shops will give you about 60% of the resale value. The only time a shop will usually take a gun back is if the gun is defective, and even then many shops will tell you to do a warranty claim with the manufacture.

I've been in there several times. I bought an M&P there, a used Mossy and assorted odds and ends. I have gone there many weekends to get ice fishing bait when I slept in too late to go to the local place as well. I've always been treated well and they had no problem showing me anything/everything and putting up with my dumb questions. I've bought a holster there but didn't have my CCW on me, so they pulled out something similar from the case so I could try it out. I'll be a repeat customer and highly recommend this shop. Prices are competitive, but what you would expect from a smaller shop. Also they have a huge stuffed brown bear :).

Every time I go in there, I have to force myself NOT to touch the bear. It's getting harder and harder not to.

Blue Northern is perfect for me. It's on the way from my house to Harvard Sportsman's. They have a decent selection and are always friendly.

I have to admit, I was a little soured by these guys the last time I went in there. Asked about a particular shotgun, and they had to call Beretta to see if they could get it. Beretta didn't have any in stock and weren't going to get any for a while. Ok, I said, so if you can't get it, can I transfer one in? Sure, they said, $40. Hmm, that's a bit steep, could you cut me a break? This made the guy launch into a diatribe about how everybody else gets the money and he has to be the unappreciated middle man doing the paperwork. Considering I had just tried to buy the gun from this guy and told he couldn't get it for me, it was a bit insulting for him to then accuse me of trying to screw him with a transfer.

So, I thanked him for his time, and went and gave my business to another local store who was happy to help me. Anyway, not the crime of the century, and these guys can charge whatever they like fir a transfer, but his 'annoyed with the customer' attitude was kind of a shame, as I bought my very first gun from these guys and so I had a soft spot for them.

I have to admit, I was a little soured by these guys the last time I went in there. Asked about a particular shotgun, and they had to call Beretta to see if they could get it. Beretta didn't have any in stock and weren't going to get any for a while. Ok, I said, so if you can't get it, can I transfer one in? Sure, they said, $40. Hmm, that's a bit steep, could you cut me a break? This made the guy launch into a diatribe about how everybody else gets the money and he has to be the unappreciated middle man doing the paperwork. Considering I had just tried to buy the gun from this guy and told he couldn't get it for me, it was a bit insulting for him to then accuse me of trying to screw him with a transfer.

So, I thanked him for his time, and went and gave my business to another local store who was happy to help me. Anyway, not the crime of the century, and these guys can charge whatever they like fir a transfer, but his 'annoyed with the customer' attitude was kind of a shame, as I bought my very first gun from these guys and so I had a soft spot for them.

I've heard the older gentleman there can be a little grumpy, I've never dealt with him myself. The rest of the staff are super friendly and helpful, in my experience.

Their transfer rates are a little high, about on par with the "out of state transfers" that some other stores have.

I've heard the older gentleman there can be a little grumpy, I've never dealt with him myself. The rest of the staff are super friendly and helpful, in my experience.

Wasn't the older gentleman.

But... I'm willing to give them that maybe it was just a bad day. I've always had good experiences with them in the past.

Keystone said:
Their transfer rates are a little high, about on par with the "out of state transfers" that some other stores have.

Yes, they're not out of the ballpark. But they're more expensive than any of the other stores in the their area.

Last edited:

ee

Last edited:
I know you work there, News Shooter, and I know you're a good guy. That is a lot of why I'm willing to chalk it up to simply being a bad day.

I have a very similar experiances there in the past few years. While they all seem like decent guys, the constant (IMHO ) whinning about other stores pricing and policies, and the willingness to just stand behind a counter and ring people up instead of offering really good customer service has made my mind up to not bother there anymore.....

There are other shops more willing to provide either 1. great customer service or 2. a better price. Its seems as though Blue Northern cannot do either at the moment

I don't understand what the problem is . . .

I've stopped there twice, both times very near closing, both times we were asked if they could help us find something and my response was "just browsing" to which I was told that if I had any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Both times we bought guns and the experience was as pleasant as one could possibly ask for.

We live >1 hour away from there or it would be a "regular stop" for me. We hit Blue Northern today after leaving the Ft. Devens Military Museum and bought another gun (for training purposes). Second time there, two guns purchased . . . my Wife bought the first one after the one NES/Shirley Shoot we attended some years ago. It was a pleasure meeting News Shooter . . . doing business with him and chatting with him and some of the other employees. Nice place, nice people and some good deals to be had.

We live >1 hour away from there or it would be a "regular stop" for me. We hit Blue Northern today after leaving the Ft. Devens Military Museum and bought another gun (for training purposes).

Interesting... I was doing my "regular" stop today after the IDPA match at HSC today. small world it seems I need to work on my NES call sign;)

Interesting... I was doing my "regular" stop today after the IDPA match at HSC today. small world it seems I need to work on my NES call sign;)

Well, when I pulled in there, I was the only car in the parking lot and I have a big NES sticker on the back window. So if you were arrived while I was there, you should have had a clue. [wink]

Picked up another firearm from BNT today, was very pleased with the transaction and the competitive price. Always find them to be very helpful and have never had a problem with any of the guys who work in the shop.

I've got Blue Northern five minutes from my office and IDC ten minutes from my home, between the two I'm a happy camper.

Picked up another firearm from BNT today, was very pleased with the transaction and the competitive price. Always find them to be very helpful and have never had a problem with any of the guys who work in the shop.

I've got Blue Northern five minutes from my office and IDC ten minutes from my home, between the two I'm a happy camper.

Just about the best of all worlds, IMO, just a little hard on the old wallet [grin]

dropped in the other day to pick up another one of my AK receivers and grabbed some .357 magnum ammo as well. they were beating the price of DSG by me by a few bucks so that was a welcome surprise!

Nice shop. Great hours (Sunday). Staff is always friendly. Prices are not the lowest but not the highest. If you need to order a gun they get on the phone immediately and the pricing is fair since they don't carry it as inventory.

You can ask as many dumb and not so dumb questions as you want and they just keep answering.

Across the multiple staff members they have experience in all relevant competition areas so someone can knowledgeably advise on gun choices, ammo choices, etc.

I stop in at least once a week.

Great place. Some Good deals on ammo.
I seem to end up there every 2 weeks... usually after cashing my pay check
Its got to the point where they know me by name. Not that that is a bad thing.

Talked to the owner for a few on Sunday when I went in there to buy some 45 ammo. He had a descent deal on some Magtech ammo, which I have shot before and like. SO, good group of guys, and they are always willing to negotiate if their prices are higher than elsewhere. I don't fish, but they have a huge fishing section there as well. About 35 minutes from my house, I will go there again regardless.

Bumping again for awesomeness, 9 pages of reviews and I think I only noticed one really negative comment. I purchased my SR9 at Blue Northern last month, awesome service. I have gone twice since with friends that were buying just to look etc, always helpful and willing to answer questions and show you guns. I'm a local guy and we all know some mutual people so it's a great feeling, I plan to spend my money on guns here whenever possible!

I stop in at least once a week to see what they have. GREAT guys.

They typically do not have the lowest prices on factory new guns, but they are still pretty good. On used you can frequently find a bargain.

A couple of month ago when a whole bunch of Glock 19 Refurbs hit the local market and all the shops had them, Blue Northern was a full $100 less than everyone's favorite shop in Woburn. I delayed almost 10 seconds before snapping one up.

And if you want to order something that is generally not stocked by anyone, you will be pleasantly surprised at the fair price when they order for you.

I can't say enough...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Picked up a Ruger 10/22 from Blue Northern this afternoon. Dealt with Bill and he was a stand-up guy. This place is about an hour drive for me but I would go back for sure.

From my first gun safety course to my LTC to my first firearm purchase the crew over at Blue Northern have been amazing. Bill, his son Bill Jr, Ron, and the new guy Gus (the pug puppy) are some the nicest guys around. They always call me by name, ask about my dad, and THANK me for shopping in their 3rd generation family owned store. They have a customer for life, and out of all the gun shops in MA I go here 9 times out of 10. Plus having a giant stuffed grizzly in your store doesnt hurt! [smile]

From my first gun safety course to my LTC to my first firearm purchase the crew over at Blue Northern have been amazing. Bill, his son Bill Jr, Ron, and the new guy Gus (the pug puppy) are some the nicest guys around. They always call me by name, ask about my dad, and THANK me for shopping in their 3rd generation family owned store. They have a customer for life, and out of all the gun shops in MA I go here 9 times out of 10. Plus having a giant stuffed grizzly in your store doesnt hurt! [smile]

Yeah that bear is pretty awesome. I agree with everything you've said. They really are an awesome group of guys. If they have a bad day you would never know it, because they have always been nice and accommodating to me.

Did a transfer with a fellow NES member here today, the staff was pretty easy going and friendly. I don't really live nearby so I don't know when I'd ever be back, but if I was in the area I wouldn't hesitate to stop in.

Back
Top Bottom