• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Boston Proposes State Law Requiring Doctors to Ask About Guns In the Home

Walsh administration officials said Wednesday that they will ask lawmakers to approve a bill requiring doctors to ask patients about guns in their homes to help identify risks of suicide and domestic violence.

“This is a great way for the medical field to help identify any red-flag issues,” Boston Police Commissioner William Gross said in a briefing with reporters. “It’s to put another tool in the physician’s belt to help out the victims.”

requiring? What if the doctor doesn't want to get involved in gun politics, and chooses not to play their game either?

Are doctors now going to start narc'ing on otherwise law-abiding gun owners to start more ERPO gun confiscations?

Slippery slope.

"That's DOCTOR Big Brother to you, Winston Smith"

Dr. Alain A. Chaoui, president of the Massachusetts Medical Society, said in a statement Wednesday that, “when appropriate, a physician, as part of a detailed conversation about medical history, has a right and responsibility to speak with patients about gun ownership, storage, and safety.

f*** you. You don't speak on behalf of practicing doctors at all. A "responsibility" to speak to patients about gun ownership? GFYS

I get it if it regards a patient with mental health issues, the doctor has formed a trustful bond with said patient, and this info is protected by HIPAA laws. This doctor would discuss this as part of the patient’s well being and safety plan.

Lumping this together with a child abuse claim as mandated reporting to authorities is madness. I expect nothing less from the greater medical community in Boston as I have seen first hand.

While this is just more horse BS so that they can wiggle their way into condemning lawful gun ownership, there was another rather interesting article about Athol Police using force via a taser to subdue a psych patient and whether or not that was excessive force used against a person because "they had a disability". While there are initial concerns for fellow LEO's, but I believe it could have implications for lawfully armed citizens protecting themselves from immediate lethal or serious physical harm from psych patients (at least in the Commonwealth). I apologize for not being able to link the article.

requiring? What if the doctor doesn't want to get involved in gun politics, and chooses not to play their game either?

Very interesting actually.

Right now there is a law that if a doctor prescribes a controlled substance, they have to check the state database of controlled substance prescriptions which lists every controlled substance you've been prescribed.
This is easy to check - did the doctor precribe something and if they did, is there a record of them accessing the database the day prescription was written. So, if the state thinks some doctors are not doing their due diligence, all they need is to run a database check.

Now how are they going to enforce the gun law?

Obviously this will be yet another checkbox in the electronic medical record system, very likely it will be asked even before you see the doctor by the medical assistant or the nurse, the usual million questions they type and click before each visit now (do you drink, do you smoke crack, are you being abused, etc).

Most doctors are employed by large organizations like Partners, UMass, etc, etc.
So, state passes the law.
Partners CEO says, ok, eh, new law, we got to put in one more checkbox for you guys to click on.
End of the year they run reports on all doctors.
After that, who knows.
The organization will probably deal with it the way they deal with other "quality metrics" - punish doctors who fail them. You failed the gun violence metric - get fined $5000.

Of course if they are really hardcore they could do whatever they want - they could pull a few medical licenses just to scare everyone else.

Buddy of mine from work who lives in CT told me that his wife came home from taking their son to the pediatrician the other day. Handed him some literature. In the literature was included a bunch of crap about not storing guns in the house, and if it was absolutely necessary to do so, then the guns should be disassembled and stored separately from the ammunition.

I took him to the range last summer with probably half-a-dozen handguns and a couple rifles right after he got his permit so that he could get a feel for some different firearms. He liked my Glocks and now has a G17. He was very unhappy with the literature.

He said that the pediatrician's very good - but the anti-gun literature infuriates him.

Remember folks, they will be asking your children this question, too.

How many kids will rat out their parents simply because they don't know any better or are just too young to understand the consequences?

And then how long will it be before they pass a law making it a felony to answer the question falsely?

f*** this shit, seriously.

Back
Top Bottom