Cabela's "Return" Policy...?

Has anyone had to return a firearm to Cabela's?

I know it is their policy... "No Returns" but their policy is also "If a firearm is defective and returned within 30 days of purchase, we will repair or exchange it. After 30 days, we will gladly assist you in returning the item to the manufacturer for repair and/or warranty determination."

Here's the deal... You know you have to "take a number" and wait to look at a firearm. Once you're called you try to do your business and not hog up time like some of the "dreamers" are doing. So I ask for a specific rifle. Guy looks it up in the computer and says he has one left and it's in the back. He goes and gets it, opens up the new/sealed box. I look it over quickly... it's what I want, it looks and feels good, number 30 is waiting... It get packaged back up and I buy it.

I get home take it out of the packaging; wipe it down with a gun cloth. I notice a slight steel shine coming through the blue on the frame where the top and side meet back near the hammer. No big deal I think... I'll hit it with a little blue someday. I look closer and can see what looks like about the size of a thumbprint starting at that edge and down the side of the receiver. The texture of the receiver is good... the bluing is good otherwise and you have to look at it to really notice it. But it bugs me...

I try calling Cabela's, it's too late. I call the next day and talk to a young guy... "The manager will be in Monday, but usually they will only assist you in sending the rifle back to the manufacturer for re-bluing/repair." I told him that that was crazy... I had the rifle for 3 hours and now I have to play the "manufacturer repair" game? I told him I wanted the rifle, I just want to exchange it for one that doesn't have the defect. (BTW, they don’t have another one in stock).

I told the guy that I could have gone to the "big" gun shop, purchased the same rifle (of which they had plenty) for $10 less, they wouldn't have hassled me, but I'm trying to give Cabela's my business, get coupons, etc... But this is ridiculous. Guy apologized and said that that was usually the way it is. I had to talk to the manager on Monday, but sending it back to the factory with their assistance was likely to be the outcome. Of course he already taken my name and number for "future reference". (they could have looked it up by the weapon anyway).

OK, I know there are guys who will say, "Does it shoot good, just shoot it!" But I would like to start off "new" and go from there. If I mark it up, so be it... but not buy a rifle with a smudge built in right away.

We'll see how this pans out, but it may end my purchase of any firearms (or anything else) from Cabela's in the future.

Like many others who say they will let you know how things turned out... I actually will... Stay tuned.

Anyone else have a similar "manufacturer's defect" experience with Cabela's???

Thanks for letting me vent!!!

Hopefully they "do the right thing", Customer Service. I know it's going to come down to a judgement call... "typical cranky customer" or "legitimate complaint about a brand new firearm from customer who appreciates fine firearms". I will take a couple deep breaths before pleading my case... Wouldn't have to do that at a couple of the local gun shops.

Manufacturers defect, a business that wants you back should make the effort to replace it, especially notification within 24 hours of purchase. However your dealing with big box mentality and the clerk(s) probably don't have a clue about appreciation of firearms, maybe the guys in the gun library do ( but they will rip you off if you try to sell them one, big time rip off ). All I can say is make a stink up to the stores GM and push how you want to shoot it now, not in a month or two when you get it back from the factory. If they can't get you one from another store, seek your money back.
Good Luck!! and keep us posted, I spend several thousands at that place and if their gonna be piss poor on C.S., I may take my business elsewhere.

OK... as promised, here are my results!
Let me first say, TODAY I was impressed!

I called Cabela's this morning and got hold of Customer Service. A pleasant woman answered and I told her I was looking for the firearms manager. She told me he would be in this afternoon. I told her I was trying to determine when he would be in, because I had a problem with a rifle I purchased Friday. She was very helpful and said that she worked up in firearms and asked me to explain the problem. She actually appreciated and understood my frustration and told me I should actually be speaking with Mark in the Gun Library. I then spoke with Mark. Again, very cooperative and professional. I explained my problem to him. I told him I wanted the Marlin 1894 44 Mag... I just wanted it to be new with no issues. I assured him that I was trying to give him my business, that I would like another one if they could get it. I told him there was another dealer who had plenty and I would like to go there if they couldn’t find one... I just wanted this particular model rifle. Mark advised that he understood my complaint, that this was agreeable to him and forwarded me to Jackie who could check status of inventory at other stores.

I took a ride over to Cabela's, went through the process (with the walker guy) of securing the rifle to bring it upstairs. I filled out some paperwork in the Gun Library with another guy. I finally got to see Mark. Mark checked with Jackie to see if they could get me another gun. No luck... no other one in their inventory. Mark refunded my money!

So, I am very happy with the Customer Service I received! It worries me a little about the blanket "No Returns" policy, but that is most likely for those with morning regrets. Mark was extremely busy. So you have to be patient. He even apologized and told me he was not ignoring me, he was just busy. There was another guy there selling them 3 guns, another guy with a defective pistol. It was kind of crazy. You can’t be in a hurry there. But there is plenty to look at while you wait.

The story has an even happier ending because I ended up with a STAINLESS STEEL Marlin 1894 in 44 Mag at Riverview! I would have been glad to give Cabela's my business,, blue would have been just fine. I will continue to give them my business and buy from them. But this time it just didn't work out that way.

Thanks for everyone’s input and interest!

Very good of them to take it straight back. Which Cabela's store is this? I have one near me in Olympia WA that can be hit or miss when it comes to helpful in the firearms area.

The Cabela's in East Hartford, CT... I learned it's best to just seek out those with "the power" to make things happen. Also, next time, I'm going to take my sweet time looking over that firearm!

I'm a happy customer!

Yeah I hear you about taking your time, especially if you have cash in hand to buy it as long as it meets your standards. Screw all the looky-loos who just want to finger bang stuff. Your money earns you the right to take your time and examine it fully.

I have had employees ask me what I was doing at Cabela's (and other places) when I open up boxes of ammo- especially self defense ammo. I tell them to piss of because if I am going to drop $23 on a 20 rd box of Cor-Bon that I can't return I want to make sure it is all in good condition.

Just happy to hear that they took care of you.

Two Words "Credit Card" If the store won't give you satisfaction your credit card will on a defective product. Had similar problem with a non gun item and CC took care of the issue when store wouldn't.
Dave

Mark and Jackie are great people. I know Jackie personally, she is a sweetheart. I used to work there part time at the gun counter. I'm glad that they took care of you too. I was about to say that if there was a defective issue then you would either get it exchanged or they will give you your money back. There are some great deals in there from time to time as well. You just need to look hard.

Back
Top Bottom