Confirmed instances of .pdf/paper FA-10 form rejection by MA FRB

popcorn1.gif

It's funny how so many people on this board claim to know everything that goes on at EOPS and throws Guida under the bus by demeaning his character time and again.

Dude what are you, his fluffer?

Dude, stating the facts is not "fluffing".

What facts are these?

I'm fascinated to know this, too.

Guida has been judged and found wanting based on OUR interpretation of HIS actions.

I won't claim this was always done in the most civil of manner but he has been dicking with our lives. Of *course* we're PO'd.

I'll bet if you talked to guys like Langer and Cohen they would say Guida is a good guy.

It's funny how so many people on this board claim to know everything that goes on at EOPS and throws Guida under the bus by demeaning his character time and again.

Dude, stating the facts is not "fluffing".

+1 to that. So many issues and problems blamed on EOPS and the FRB were actually local police issues.

Are you guys looking up on the search function every time Guida's name was mentioned, and than commenting in every single one of those threads? WTF? You guys have resurrected a couple threads in the last day or so. Interesting.

I recieved my 1st rejection today: I have been useing a copy of the PDF with the blue lines and sections for sometime now. This one didnt get in ? It was a registration for a M1 carbine.
OK so I been to Hanover,rockland,kingston,plymouth,halifax,hanson,whitman,norwell,pembroke police and non of them have the required FA10 forms for me to be a lawful citizen.......

I dont know much of this Jason A Guida Esq director of firearms Record bureau BUT think he would have the forsight to send at least 1 FA10 form with the notice. I mean really WTF.

I recieved my 1st rejection today: I have been useing a copy of the PDF with the blue lines and sections for sometime now. This one didnt get in ? It was a registration for a M1 carbine.
OK so I been to Hanover,rockland,kingston,plymouth,halifax,hanson,whitman,norwell,pembroke police and non of them have the required FA10 forms for me to be a lawful citizen.......

I dont know much of this Jason A Guida Esq director of firearms Record bureau BUT think he would have the forsight to send at least 1 FA10 form with the notice. I mean really WTF.

Might want to try putting a request for the FA-10 forms in writing to them (not e-mail) send it certified signature mail. In the letter name all the departments that did not have the forms so they cannot say you did not try. Up in the corner C.C. the letter (a copy to one of the pro firearm attourneys) listed in the Outdoor Message and send a copy to the attourney. Then let us know if you get your forms.

There is a sticky in this forum of where to get FA-10 forms. I know none may be near you, but it's worth a shot. Also, if you still need one, send me a PM.

Are you guys looking up on the search function every time Guida's name was mentioned, and than commenting in every single one of those threads? WTF? You guys have resurrected a couple threads in the last day or so. Interesting.

It is not hard to do. This Guida guy sounds like a real thorn in the side of gun owners in Massachusetts. The sooner we can get rid of him, the better. Unfortunately, he seems to have a secret connection to Deval Patrick.

I live in a Green town and I went to my local PD a few weeks back, they told me they had no FA10s and you have to use the online one. After reading all over the place I called up the board and requested FA10s sent to my house, they said you have to pick them up at a dealer or at a police station, so I told them to send some to my towns PD, feels like I'm getting the run around.

I live in a Green town and I went to my local PD a few weeks back, they told me they had no FA10s and you have to use the online one. After reading all over the place I called up the board and requested FA10s sent to my house, they said you have to pick them up at a dealer or at a police station, so I told them to send some to my towns PD, feels like I'm getting the run around.

You are.

The question is now how can they use the state's documentation (is any of it in writing?) to do something about this. If nothing else, after 40 days, they should get their fee waived and refunded.

How do we get this put on the plate as a bill for this session?

I'm not 100% convinced they all know what is going on. I think there is something else going on here, from when I spoke to 2 PDs dispatchers they are under the impression that its all done online now, and they "used to have the 3 part forms years ago and did away with them because its all online now". I think the board is telling the depts its all online and not sending out the forms, and the depts don't want to deal with their BS so they just have the dispatchers tell people its all online now.

I'm not 100% convinced they all know what is going on. I think there is something else going on here, from when I spoke to 2 PDs dispatchers they are under the impression that its all done online now, and they "used to have the 3 part forms years ago and did away with them because its all online now". I think the board is telling the depts its all online and not sending out the forms, and the depts don't want to deal with their BS so they just have the dispatchers tell people its all online now.

...and please note that the FRB says that some reportable transactions can ONLY be reported on a paper form, due to the way the web form was designed...

DO you have a MAC computer??? There is some issue printing.

I just got a rejection notice today. I sent two PDF FA10 forms from two separate transactions but only one seems to have been rejected. Included were instructions for the EFA10 application and Another Copy of an FA10(in color) that I could also submit, according to the letter. The only difference in the version they sent me is that it has an "FA Trans. No.".

I went online and completed the form, but could not print the confirmation page because it required a password to be viewed, but I was never given one, and tried eveyrthing I could think off with no success.

Just got an FA-10 sent back to me yesterday for being the "wrong form". I just called the FRB and they said the only paper forms you can use are available at the local PD. They want everyone to start using the electronic version on the website. I have to say, I really like the eFA-10. Everything went through nice and smooth and you can print out a receipt after. I was freaking out when the FA-10 came back. They letter they sent with it was soooo vague.

^ assuming you used a printed pdf form? That's a no-no, though they were accepting them for a short while. Among several issues with using the eFA10 is that what are you supposed to do if you want to do a FTF transfer in a parkinglot or other place where there is no computer? Most of the private sales/ buys I've done have been in parkinglots. Another concern with the eFA10 is that you're putting a lot of personal info over the internet.

^ assuming you used a printed pdf form? That's a no-no, though they were accepting them for a short while. Among several issues with using the eFA10 is that what are you supposed to do if you want to do a FTF transfer in a parkinglot or other place where there is no computer? Most of the private sales/ buys I've done have been in parkinglots. Another concern with the eFA10 is that you're putting a lot of personal info over the internet.

Yeah, the buyer provided the 3 page PDF form. I have never used one of these, I have only used the carbon copy version. And yes, most deals go down where a computer isn't available, which makes it a pain in the arss. I'm really not that concerned about entering it over the internet. It's really minimal information anyway, but I see your point. As long as everything's secured, I don't really see it being an issue.

I have yet to receive any rejection letters and I submitted 4 FA10.pdf in December and 4 in January.

Just got an FA-10 sent back to me yesterday for being the "wrong form". I just called the FRB and they said the only paper forms you can use are available at the local PD. They want everyone to start using the electronic version on the website. I have to say, I really like the eFA-10. Everything went through nice and smooth and you can print out a receipt after. I was freaking out when the FA-10 came back. They letter they sent with it was soooo vague.

Massachusetts law requires all residents to report any sale or transfer (including gifts) of a weapon within 7 days of the transaction. Massachusetts law also requires all residents to report the acquisition of a weapon within 7 days in certain instances.

So you sent in a completed FA-10 form reporting the sale/transfer?
Your requirement to report the sale/transfer has been met.
They acknowledged they received it buy sending you a letter

I was concerned about this, see my previous posts, and sure enough I got a rejection letter today. Even though the PD told me to use the PDF online, the paper I got in the mail says "all local police departments" have these forms, and then I went to 3 departments which do not have any forms.... Even though I requested the FLB send them all forms over 3 weeks ago...

Also they have a nice underlined portion that says failure to comply within 7 days is a criminal offense on the letter, but will not furnish the forms to my residence or to the local pd. I smell a lawsuit.

The eFA10 might be easy, but it's bad civic hygiene to use it. What're you going to do when they stop printing the paper ones (which they've said they want to do) and they stop maintaining the online one? "stop maintaining" could mean, "you have to buy a new computer or use a different OS to use it" or "down most of the time" or "forgot to update DNS" or "had a disk crash and take three months to get it back up" Seriously, this *will* happen.

The printed form is legally fine, it's a form provided by the "said executive director". They published it on their website, they provided it. But otherwise, spot on.

Yeah, the buyer provided the 3 page PDF form. I have never used one of these, I have only used the carbon copy version. And yes, most deals go down where a computer isn't available, which makes it a pain in the arss. I'm really not that concerned about entering it over the internet. It's really minimal information anyway, but I see your point. As long as everything's secured, I don't really see it being an issue.

Annoyingly, the serialized form they're printing now, (if you can find one) isn't even a carbon(less) form, it's a single page, so you have to photocopy it. I use carbon paper with the printed PDF, but there's no reason not to do the same thing with pages two and three of the PDF with a serialized first page.

Your duty is to notify them, not to make it easy for the data to get into their computers, and you're under no obligation to make sure they can do their job. If they sent you a receipt (mis-labled "rejection", you've got proof that they got the form. If they choose to send it back to without doing anything with it, it's not your problem.

The eFA10 might be easy, but it's bad civic hygiene to use it. What're you going to do when they stop printing the paper ones (which they've said they want to do) and they stop maintaining the online one? "stop maintaining" could mean, "you have to buy a new computer or use a different OS to use it" or "down most of the time" or "forgot to update DNS" or "had a disk crash and take three months to get it back up" Seriously, this *will* happen.

The printed form is legally fine, it's a form provided by the "said executive director". They published it on their website, they provided it. But otherwise, spot on.

Annoyingly, the serialized form they're printing now, (if you can find one) isn't even a carbon(less) form, it's a single page, so you have to photocopy it. I use carbon paper with the printed PDF, but there's no reason not to do the same thing with pages two and three of the PDF with a serialized first page.

Your duty is to notify them, not to make it easy for the data to get into their computers, and you're under no obligation to make sure they can do their job. If they sent you a receipt (mis-labled "rejection", you've got proof that they got the form. If they choose to send it back to without doing anything with it, it's not your problem.

After reading and re-reading the section of MGL that covers FA-10s, I agree with you. But I wouldn't personnally take that "risk" without some sort of formal guidance from a lawyer, or a court ruling (the later preferable).

Someone needs to challenge this because the lack of "official" FA-10s is complete BS and MGL has no provisions for online transactions.

Chapter 140, Section 128B:

Section 128B. Any resident of the commonwealth who purchases or obtains a firearm, rifle or shotgun or machine gun from any source within or without the commonwealth, other than from a licensee under section one hundred and twenty-two or a person authorized to sell firearms under section one hundred and twenty-eight A, and any nonresident of the commonwealth who purchases or obtains a firearm, rifle, shotgun or machine gun from any source within or without the commonwealth, other than such a licensee or person, and receives such firearm, rifle, shotgun or machine gun, within the commonwealth shall within seven days after receiving such firearm, rifle, shotgun or machine gun, report, in writing, to the commissioner of the department of criminal justice information services the name and address of the seller or donor and the buyer or donee, together with a complete description of the firearm, rifle, shotgun or machine gun, including the caliber, make and serial number. Whoever violates any provision of this section shall for the first offense be punished by a fine of not less than $500 nor more than $1,000 and for any subsequent offense by imprisonment in the state prison for not more than ten years.

After reading and re-reading the section of MGL that covers FA-10s, I agree with you. But I wouldn't personnally take that "risk" without some sort of formal guidance from a lawyer, or a court ruling (the later preferable).

Someone needs to challenge this because the lack of "official" FA-10s is complete BS and MGL has no provisions for online transactions.

Chapter 140, Section 128B:

It's kind of like the Jewish conundrum of whether the Name of G-d, on a computer, could be deleted....IIRC, it was decided that the pixels/electrons were not "writing".

This is the word of the LORD.

Now...let's see if the EOPS goes along with that. [laugh]

10:00 AM - March 18, 2013 - Just called and spoke to a guy at the FRB. Got a pitch about the online form., but he says they are sending the forms out every day, I gave him a list of towns to send them out to he said he will send them out and assured me that they are sent out every day and that what the departments do with them is out of his hands. Meanwhile the dispatcher says that they do not get anything in the mail from them.

Nevertheless I told him to send forms to the following towns:

[Taunton, Dighton, Rehoboth, Seekonk, Dartmouth, Westport, Somerset] We have to get on these people to get the paper forms out.

One of three things.

1) FRB is not sending them and lying to me.
2) EVERY police station is throwing them away.
3) The USPS sucks.

Most likely scenario here is #1.

PS. I was the buyer and he told me to just do the registration part online and that is sufficient. Anybody? Ohh and he also told me "don't worry if it goes over the 7 days"

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom