Confirmed instances of .pdf/paper FA-10 form rejection by MA FRB

The PIN number is the PIN that you had mailed to you when you received your LTC. You use that number when purchasing at a gun store and their fingerprint reader is missing or inoperative.

So I have a good question for all on this issue. I just tried to use the E-FA-10 and it doesn't work. What PIN number do people use? I tried one I made up since I am a private party. It still doesn't work. I tried leaving it blank and it asked for a pin number. This state is really F----- Up. I also checked with 3 surrounding towns today and none of them have a FA-10 form.

Now, THAT is some funny shit right there! The one you made up didn't work. Really? Seriously? OMG!

The PIN number is the PIN that you had mailed to you when you received your LTC. You use that number when purchasing at a gun store and their fingerprint reader is missing or inoperative.

What is funny shit is that I don't recall ever getting a PIN number. I guess I need to call the local PD about it. I did email the FRB and they said to contact the police for my PIN number.

GOAL did have the actual FA-10 forms a couple months ago. That is where I got my stash. Are they not giving them out anymore? Or are people just not local. I picked mine up on my way home from work.

Or maybe if someone is near Chelsea just stop in there and get some serialized FA-10 forms. I am there also a few days a week. Of course the most you can get is 4 I am guessing.

Last edited:
What is funny shit is that I don't recall ever getting a PIN number. I guess I need to call the local PD about it. I did email the FRB and they said to contact the police for my PIN number.

Just go to the PD and they will print it out for you.

Just go to the PD and they will print it out for you.

That might work if you actually have someone there that is actually on the police force. The dispatcher does not have access to the police files. I was just there and tried that. Tomorrow I will call the PD and ask for my PIN number.

Last edited:
Does anyone have a good phone # to order FA-10s? I called CJIS today and got hung up on twice. I then emailed and was told they would only ship to a police station... I thought I saw a phone number in one of these posts, but I can't seem to find it anymore.

Called my local PD (Malden, Ma) asked if they had FA-10's. The guy said yes. I went down there today and the lady tells me that they got a memo sometime in 2011 saying that they will not be receiving any forms. I called the FRB and they told me to use the E-file system.

Where is GOAL when we actually need them to do something?

What do you expect GOAL to do? Seriously.

The Firearms Records Bureau is part of the Executive Branch. They report to Governor Patrick. They are doing exactly what Patrick wants them to do -- screw with gun owners. Patrick won't even meet with GOAL.

GOAL. I didn't ask for a name. I went there in person after work, and that is what I was told. I was told they ran out a while back and have gotten no more. I do not know if they have tried to get more shipped to GOAL or not. That is just what I was told by the girl upstairs.

Last edited:
What do you expect GOAL to do? Seriously.

The Firearms Records Bureau is part of the Executive Branch. They report to Governor Patrick. They are doing exactly what Patrick wants them to do -- screw with gun owners. Patrick won't even meet with GOAL.

The only thing anyone can do at this point is be a pain in the ass to CJIS/FRB to make sure the PDs get stocked with FA-10 forms on a regular basis.

-Mike

Can someone just drive to DCJIS in Chelsea and pick up some? Or are they only likely to give you 4?? It would be awesome if someone could go and get a crap load of them, and then pass them out somehow. I don't know, just an idea.

Can someone just drive to DCJIS in Chelsea and pick up some? Or are they only likely to give you 4?? It would be awesome if someone could go and get a crap load of them, and then pass them out somehow. I don't know, just an idea.

I'm right down the street. Ill give it a try.

I have called the FRB for the past 2 days asking for some to be shipped to my local PD. The lady at my local PD said to keep bothering them because she can't get anywhere with them. I have nothing better to do so what the hell. FRB FAQ's says that the there are no more FA-10's (only e file).

"I used to file a record of my weapon sales on a paper form. Can I still obtain those at a police department?
Answer ‐ No! The E‐FA‐10 replaces Form FA‐10, the three‐part form previously used to file a weapon transaction. E‐FA‐10 is the current “form” furnished by the Commissioner of the DCJIS in accordance with G.L. c. 140, §§ 128A and 128B."

I think they are pretty much pushing everyone to use the online system. So for everyone who doesn't have their own little stash maybe, you're screwed. Let us know what happens when you go there in person. You should be able to at least get 4 for yourself.

When I am down there later in the week, I will go in as well. There is no reason they can't make the forms, or get them out to the PD's. Maybe if everyone started going to Chelsea in person they would get annoyed enough to start mailing them to the PD's.

I got my problem solved today about my PIN number. I have an older license and do not have a PIN number. My PD did have some FA-10 forms which I picked up tonight.

According to the Director of FRB, paper forms WILL be made available to PDs IF they ask for them. Seems like they revised the form (copyright issues wrt the 3-part form) so that it is only a ONE-part form now, so you better make your own copies before mailing in or you will have no record at all.

Yes, they are trying to push everyone to e-file, but legally I'm not sure that they can offer ONLY that as an alternative.

Do NOT expect any PD to know about these new changes (only announced late last week to a select group of people from what I can determine).

ETA: Yes, you can still use the 3-part forms if you have them/can find them.

Thank you for that info LenS

Do you know if people are nearby to Chelsea, can they just go in in person and grab some?? Or will they for some reason turn you away?

I got my problem solved today about my PIN number. I have an older license and do not have a PIN number. My PD did have some FA-10 forms which I picked up tonight.

That's a very good bit of information. There are still towns out in western ma that do not issue the newer style cards. People with the old cards will be completely unable to use the e FA-10.

According to the Director of FRB, paper forms WILL be made available to PDs IF they ask for them. Seems like they revised the form (copyright issues wrt the 3-part form) so that it is only a ONE-part form now, so you better make your own copies before mailing in or you will have no record at all.

Yes, they are trying to push everyone to e-file, but legally I'm not sure that they can offer ONLY that as an alternative.

Do NOT expect any PD to know about these new changes (only announced late last week to a select group of people from what I can determine).

ETA: Yes, you can still use the 3-part forms if you have them/can find them.

Hey Len, My forms I just picked up at the PD are dated 10-98. LOL

I got my problem solved today about my PIN number. I have an older license and do not have a PIN number....

That's a very good bit of information. There are still towns out in western ma that do not issue the newer style cards. People with the old cards will be completely unable to use the e FA-10.

Yep.

My town. Me. The second page of the eFA-10 requires a number I do not have, and never had.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom