Confirmed instances of .pdf/paper FA-10 form rejection by MA FRB

I have two different types of FA10 forms from a PD, both are 3 part forms. You sure it is going to a 1 part form?

Thats what I got from them when they sent my pdf version back, a single numbered form.

Im curious if theyre tracking the numbers on the form, if when you get one you can just make blank copies to use and send in.

Yes, the newly designed form is a 1-part form . . . make your own copies.

Yes, they do use the tracking numbers (it was another question of mine).

I'm looking at an old (10/98) three-page, carbonless copy I got from jmh992003 today right now, and the only differences I see with the one sxqazw1 posted (01/12) are:

- a bar code in the upper left hand corner, with the form number under it; both directly above the words "check if reporting"

(missing from the new form)

- "Criminal History Systems Board" in heading

(new form has heading which reads "Department of Criminal Justice Information Services")

- a six digit number preceded by a letter, in the upper right hand corner above "FA. Trans. No"

(the new form apparently has a four (EDIT: sxqazw1 says five) digit number?)

- In the "Do Not Write In This Box" colored box at the bottom, the old form has "Criminal History Systems Board"

(the new form has "Firearms Records Bureau", but the suite number and address are the same on both forms.)

- below the colored box, the old form has "Original Copy" or "Dealer/Seller Copy" or "Buyer/Purchaser Copy" at the bottom

(the new form has "Official Government Form - Not a Bill of Sale")

- aside from the different font, the old and new forms seem to have different colored boxes at the bottom. Old: Blue-Green

(new: purple?)

Now, if you think I'm being absolutely silly with this (well, look what living in MA has done to me), then let me tell you I also notice that the new form has on the second line "Seller FIS /LTC Number"

...and the ninth line (under "Buyer/Purchaser Information") reads "include all letters and numbers at the beginning and end of the LTD/FID Number"

Yep.

Should I assume these are two typo's on the new improved form, or will we get these returned to us as well, because we entered LTC and FID numbers and not LTD nor FIS numbers?! Or the form with the wrong color box?!

Last edited:
I'm looking at an old (10/98) three-page, carbonless copy I got from jmh992003 today right now, and the only differences I see with the one sxqazw1 posted (01/12) are:

- a bar code in the upper left hand corner, with the form number under it; both directly above the words "check if reporting"

(missing from the new form)

- "Criminal History Systems Board" in heading

(new form has heading which reads "Department of Criminal Justice Information Services")

- a six digit number preceded by a letter, in the upper right hand corner above "FA. Trans. No"

(the new form apparently has a four digit number?)

- In the "Do Not Write In This Box" colored box at the bottom, the old form has "Criminal History Systems Board"

(the new form has "Firearms Records Bureau", but the suite number and address are the same on both forms.)

- below the colored box, the old form has "Original Copy" or "Dealer/Seller Copy" or "Buyer/Purchaser Copy" at the bottom

(the new form has "Official Government Form - Not a Bill of Sale")

- aside from the different font, the old and new forms seem to have different colored boxes at the bottom. Old: Blue-Green

(new: purple?)

Now, if you think I'm being absolutely silly with this (well, look what living in MA has done to me), then let me tell you I also notice that the new form has on the second line "Seller FIS /LTC Number"

...and the ninth line (under "Buyer/Purchaser Information") reads "include all letters and numbers at the beginning and end of the LTD/FID Number"

Yep.

Should I assume these are two typo's on the new improved form, or will we get these returned to us as well, because we entered LTC and FID numbers and not LTD nor FIS numbers?! Or the form with the wrong color box?!

Haha.. is there a chance that it means something? Didn't even notice that on my form before but the one I have says LTD/FID under buyer info

It has an FA XXXXX (5)

Thanks. I edited my essay above.

Which leads me back to el duderino's question:

...when they sent my pdf version back, a single numbered form.

Im curious if theyre tracking the numbers on the form, if when you get one you can just make blank copies to use and send in.

...and LenS' statement:

Didn't all this nonsense of them returning forms start with us sending in our own blank (PDF) versions?

Last edited:
One thing I should add is that the paper feels/looks different. It is lightweight and all of the print and purple is glossy. The little boxes included almost hologram like.

PS. I called the FRB to request forms be sent to my local PD and they said OK but they aren't going to be accepted much longer. I'm not sure how credible this is. It was the lady who answered the phone.

Last edited:
My apologies to JFR2, but now I wonder if we sent in a copy of the 01/12 form with the FA # blanked out, would they be accepted?

One thing I should add is that the paper feels/looks different. It is lightweight and all of the print and purple is glossy. The little boxes included almost hologram like.

...Or returned because the copy we sent wasn't shiny enough...

I'm not talking about the PIN. Early on some people who used the EFA10 were reporting that the record they got at the end was a PDF they couldn't open because it asked for a password. Whatever became of that?

Not sure but I just did one and got the same password protected PDF at the end. I'm going to call tomorrow to see if they know what it is.

Not sure but I just did one and got the same password protected PDF at the end. I'm going to call tomorrow to see if they know what it is.

After speaking with Jason about this, he tells me that this is actually a Adobe issue and means that you don't have the latest version of Adobe Reader.

No idea, haven't used e-FA-10 to date, so I'm just repeating what he told me.

After speaking with Jason about this, he tells me that this is actually a Adobe issue and means that you don't have the latest version of Adobe Reader.

No idea, haven't used e-FA-10 to date, so I'm just repeating what he told me.

Misdirection? I have latest reader and latest full Acrobat pro and it still did the same thing last time I tried.

Misdirection? I have latest reader and latest full Acrobat pro and it still did the same thing last time I tried.

I admit that I was suspicious of his answer, but that is what he told me.

So if you do not have any of the FA-10 triplicate forms with number of the top of the form, you HAVE to use this MIRCS site to do the transaction on-line

https://mircs.chs.state.ma.us/fa10/action/home?app_context=home&app_action=presentTrans

PDs can also get the newer 1-part form you can use as well. Otherwise your assessment of the situation is correct.

I haven't done one of these in a while, but when I did use the online system I ran into the same password issue.

I saved the PDF to my computer and was able to open it without using a password.

WTF can't they just produce a normal PDF? Does Guida sleep soundly at night knowing he is making life difficult for gun owners? What a dbag.

The first thing I was asked when I talked to the gentleman was if I was using a Mac. I am and he said that there is an issue with Macs. I have to so another one and he said if I called and gave him the ticket number for the transaction along with the firearm info he would print up copies and send them to me.

First, thanks again, jmh99203 and KMM696 for your help with this nonsense.

Second, I just got my hands on a NEW FA-10 (single) form and I will scan it and upload it tonight without the number.

At least if anybody is stuck (no carbon forms, no single forms, no PIN, no latest version of Adobe Acrobat, no computer, no Internet, no electricity) and wants to try sending one of these you'll be able to.

Then maybe we'll have to start a new thread entitled "Confirmed instances of MA FRB rejecting copies of their own form..."

First, thanks again, jmh99203 and KMM696 for your help with this nonsense.

Second, I just got my hands on a NEW FA-10 (single) form and I will scan it and upload it tonight without the number.

At least if anybody is stuck (no carbon forms, no single forms, no PIN, no latest version of Adobe Acrobat, no computer, no Internet, no electricity) and wants to try sending one of these you'll be able to.

Then maybe we'll have to start a new thread entitled "Confirmed instances of MA FRB rejecting copies of their own form..."

... The reason that they want us to use the form is BECAUSE it has a unique number on it. I highly doubt that they will accept any form that does NOT have their unique number imprinted onto it.

... The reason that they want us to use the form is BECAUSE it has a unique number on it. I highly doubt that they will accept any form that does NOT have their unique number imprinted onto it.

So, someone with one of the new forms, take one for the team, scan and post the entire form including the number, and we can all start filing that number.

So, someone with one of the new forms, take one for the team, scan and post the entire form including the number, and we can all start filing that number.

That was my earlier question about them tracking the numbers, can I just make copies and send in 4 different transactions using the same form number? Lens said they are tracking them, so maybe not.

So, make up your own unique number! Who are YOU to accept this from THEM? Where do they come off telling us how it is?

Just how many digits is this unique number to begin with?

Are any letters included?

In other words, have they introduced an artificial cap on the maximum number of firearms that can ever be transferred in this state?

So sxqawz1 already posted the form, but this is from the "rejection letter" part, page 1:

"General Instructions:

3. Mail the ORIGINAL form to the FRB at the addressor the FA-10 form. DO NOT mail photocopies or duplicates of this form. Copies of FA-10 forms will not be recorded and will be returned to the sender."

(All emphasis is exactly as it appears in the form.)

Terrific.

Just wanted to share my experience for those who have smart phones, myself and the other NES member just completed a trade last night and I said to do it thru our phones. IT WORKED SMOOTHLY! if you have an Iphone, and you don't have a printer to print it, you can do a screen shot by holding the power and home button at same time to screen shot the confirmation code for your transfer. Worked as smooth as butter. Hope this helps anybody that is worried about getting a copy / pdf printout etc rejected.

First page will ask for your LTC and PIN as well as Buyer's LTC, last name and birthdate

2nd page will be the system lookup to confirm they found both of you in the system. check the boxes and continue

3rd page i believe was the firearm information (serial, hi cap, make model)

4th page i think was the confirmation of all info and SUBMIT!

hope that helps, I didn't sift thru all of the posts but just wanted to share! good luck guys and gals

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom