• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Dallas PO enters wrong apartment, kills occupant

Whats the law in TX? Doesnt someone being in your home make using deadly force lawful? I know he wasnt in her home, he was in his home. Just saying that even if he was in her place, there wouldnt be any need legally to bring up him moving, hand position, etc. If theres an intruder in your home youre gtg in TX afaik.
Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD.

Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD.
I know, just making a point that in TX youre not required to explain hand position, he was reaching for something, I thought he had a gun, etc. He broke into my house, period. At least thats my understanding. Not relevant in this matter because it wasnt her house, I was just addressing the difference between TX law and here.

The Dallas Morning News reported that Guyger had just ended a 15-hour shift when she returned in uniform to the South Side Flats apartment complex where both she and Jean lived. She parked on the fourth floor, instead of the third, where she lived, possibly suggesting that she was confused or disoriented.

When she put her key in the unlocked apartment door, it opened. Inside, the lights were off. Then she saw a figure in the darkness, according to the official, who was not authorized to discuss the case publicly.

The officer concluded that her apartment was being burglarized, drew her weapon and fired twice. When she turned on the lights, she realized she was in the wrong unit, the newspaper reported.
IMNSHO she's going to get off with involuntary manslaughter, a horrible accident. The victim is no longer around to refute her claim the door was unlocked (vs.locked and she banged on it until the victim opened the door, which would also mean the lights were on), and the delayed arrest means it's highly unlikely there's a valid blood sample for drugs or alcohol testing.

Whats the law in TX? Doesnt someone being in your home make using deadly force lawful? I know he wasnt in her home, he was in his home. Just saying that even if he was in her place, there wouldnt be any need legally to bring up him moving, hand position, etc. If theres an intruder in your home youre gtg in TX afaik.
So let's say that you're relaxing in your Dallas apartment after a long day, and someone enters without permission, and you defend your home by shooting the intruder dead.

You're a black immigrant, and the intruder is a white female cop who unlawfully entered your abode.

Does anyone think it would take three days for a warrant to be signed, and then you'd just be allowed to turn yourself in before being released in an hour on bail that you can't afford on your own?

So let's say that you're relaxing in your Dallas apartment after a long day, and someone enters without permission, and you defend your home by shooting the intruder dead.

You're a black immigrant, and the intruder is a white female cop who unlawfully entered your abode.

Does anyone think it would take three days for a warrant to be signed, and then you'd just be allowed to turn yourself in before being released in an hour on bail that you can't afford on your own?
No, I'm not denying she got special treatment because she's a cop. If it were me or you we'd of left the building in cuffs. I don't even think race was an issue when it came how they handled her post shooting. Really I think if the victim was white the result would of been the same. They protect their own until they can't justify doing so.

IMNSHO she's going to get off with involuntary manslaughter, a horrible accident. The victim is no longer around to refute her claim the door was unlocked (vs.locked and she banged on it until the victim opened the door, which would also mean the lights were on), and the delayed arrest means it's highly unlikely there's a valid blood sample for drugs or alcohol testing.

Except...

'Let me in, let me in!' Witnesses say they heard white Dallas cop knocking on door and shouting before she shot her black neighbor in his apartment, disputing her story that his door was ajar when she arrived at his apartment thinking it was hers

Pretty clear...to me anyway...what went down here.

Never stick your...you know the rest.

It hasn't made sense to me from the beginning how she actually got inside. No one in an apartment building in a big city leaves their door unlocked.

"
Citing an unidentified law enforcement official with direct knowledge of the case, The Dallas Morning News reported that Guyger had just ended a 15-hour shift when she returned in uniform to the South Side Flats apartment complex where both she and Jean lived. She parked on the fourth floor, instead of the third, where she lived, possibly suggesting that she was confused or disoriented.

When she put her key in the unlocked apartment door, it opened. Inside, the lights were off. Then she saw a figure in the darkness, according to the official, who was not authorized to discuss the case publicly.

The officer concluded that her apartment was being burglarized, drew her weapon and fired twice. When she turned on the lights, she realized she was in the wrong unit, the newspaper reported.

A spokeswoman for the Texas Rangers did not immediately return a call from The Associated Press seeking to confirm the details of newspaper report.

Mayor Mike Rawlings also said Monday that Guyger had parked on the wrong floor.

The Dallas County medical examiner's office said Jean died of a gunshot wound to the chest. His death was ruled a homicide."
Case against officer who killed neighbor to go to grand jury

This reads like her lawyer wrote it.

If she entered the darkened apt becore engaging why was CPR being given in the hallway?

I believe the original reports of locked door being opened from inside by victim and getting capped in the entryway.

my guess at some point it will come out that she was either drunk or high or she new this person in some way

(Not ruling out simple aggressive mistake while impaired, but)...

If the guy she killed lived directly upstairs from her apartment,
she may have had a noise beef with him (or vice versa).

I believe the original reports of locked door being opened from inside by victim and getting capped in the entryway.
plus
my guess at some point it will come out that she was either drunk or high or she new this person in some way
This is what I figure happened too. I'm just skeptical that there's enough hard evidence to prove it, or even to get the DA to attempt to prove it was anything more than a tragic mistake.

Curious if she lived alone or if she had a room mate/bf/gf. Someone who she would of expected to have been inside at the time.

Did you just assume she'd be on the bottom?!
LOL. Just following the Tony Orlando Rule.

But see the following allegation:

Citing an unidentified law enforcement official with direct knowledge of the case, The Dallas Morning News reported that Guyger had just ended a 15-hour shift when she returned in uniform to the South Side Flats apartment complex where both she and Jean lived. She parked on the fourth floor, instead of the third, where she lived, possibly suggesting that she was confused or disoriented.

Emphasis mine.

DALLAS—Insisting that every law enforcement official in America would have done the exact same thing if put in her situation, Dallas officer Amber Guyger claimed Monday that anyone could have mistaken a black man’s apartment for a dangerous firearm. “Listen, when your instincts kick in and your adrenaline is pumping, it’s easy to get confused—unfortunately, when you’re not sure if you’re looking at a furnished one-bedroom apartment or a deadly weapon, you have to err on the side of caution,” said the Dallas police officer now accused of manslaughter for shooting a black man in his own residence, explaining that she reacted in self-defense when the man appeared to be in possession of a firearm that turned out to be a three-piece living room set.

https://www.theonion.com/defiant-dallas-police-officer-claims-anyone-could-have-1828942372

DALLAS—Insisting that every law enforcement official in America would have done the exact same thing if put in her situation, Dallas officer Amber Guyger claimed Monday that anyone could have mistaken a black man’s apartment for a dangerous firearm. “Listen, when your instincts kick in and your adrenaline is pumping, it’s easy to get confused—unfortunately, when you’re not sure if you’re looking at a furnished one-bedroom apartment or a deadly weapon, you have to err on the side of caution,” said the Dallas police officer now accused of manslaughter for shooting a black man in his own residence, explaining that she reacted in self-defense when the man appeared to be in possession of a firearm that turned out to be a three-piece living room set.

https://www.theonion.com/defiant-dallas-police-officer-claims-anyone-could-have-1828942372
Cant wait to see the Left quoting this as the truth.

Why manslaughter? Not at all sarcasm on my part...is there any actual legal reason for manslaughter v murder?

I’d be hard pressed to believe one of the unwashed shooting a minority in his own home would result in manslaughter?

Why manslaughter? Not at all sarcasm on my part...is there any actual legal reason for manslaughter v murder?

I’d be hard pressed to believe one of the unwashed shooting a minority in his own home would result in manslaughter?

It's a matter of intent. Or lack thereof. There is no need to prove she went to the wrong apartment with bad intentions, only that her actions that caused his death were reckless. Based on what's been reported, that certainly seems to have been the case.

Back
Top Bottom