• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Deer Preseason

I am so pumped up for deer season. All I can think about is deer hunting.

Last night just before sunset I went to one of my hunting spots. I saw a very nice what looked to be an 8 pointer and two does. The place is unbelivable it over looks these mountains and the sun sets straight into them. I can't even discribe it. I wish I had a camera.

Just thought that I would share that with you guys because I know you will know how I felt.

Everyone got there stand location picked out?

Scouting begins!

Yesterday I got permission from a gravel pit owner to hunt the outskirts of his property! He gave me a written letter as well as a little card from the PD, drove me around pointing out limits, do's and don'ts. Said I could hang, lock up, or nail into any tree I wanted, and if I bagged a big one he could offer assistance! I'm in heaven.

Prior to that I've been walking some State Parks (Willowdale, Harold Parker, and Georgetown/Rowley) and saw trails and old scat, but seldom really see deer. I suspect as a newbie I'm clumsy, and not going early evening and morning. The Parks never have crop fields like you read/dream about.

Why is it straight trees +10" often don't have cover near them? Their canopy must prevent it.

Good luck to all!

I am so pumped up for deer season. All I can think about is deer hunting.

Last night just before sunset I went to one of my hunting spots. I saw a very nice what looked to be an 8 pointer and two does. The place is unbelivable it over looks these mountains and the sun sets straight into them. I can't even discribe it. I wish I had a camera.

Just thought that I would share that with you guys because I know you will know how I felt.

Everyone got there stand location picked out?

I'm pumped up to. Even after 60 yrs of deer hunting (first buck at age 13) I can't wait, especially since I get to hunt with my grown sons each year. I will be hunting Maine with all three of them, NH with 2 of them and Mass with one of them. Don't get no better than that. Jack.

mmmh venison! I'm starting bow hunting this year to increase my ' in the woods time'. Looking forward to re-stocking the freezer.

I've never been a hunter, but for some reason this year I'm feeling like I would like to give it a go. I find myself reading my American Hunter magazine with new interset... I even watched some YouTube videos on how to gut a deer. I don't really have the time (and no more hunter safety courses this fall) but I think come spring I might just have to give it a go.

I'm thinking I may just try to get some time in the woods this fall "hunting" with camera and learning to scout out areas.

I did some scouting today in the woods next to my house. My property borders a 130 acre town forest, and there are other woods beyond that.

Plenty of trails up there, but little sign of rub lines or scat.

I'm putting up my stand in early October and will make some false scrapes and hang scent drips over them.

November can't come fast enough!

I am getting pumped as well. Bought me a new bow, and gonna get back into bow hunting again. Havent shot a bow since 1990. I was surprised once I got sighted in I held pretty decent groups. But I still need a bit more practice till I am confident in my shot placement. Only thing I am kinda bumbed about is the place I normally hunt 2,500+ acers is off limits for now cause of bomb disposal operations going on.

I had three white tails laying in the brush on my front lawn this morning when I woke up. I took a bunch of pictures but it'll be tonight before I post them. I mostly scared them away I think by taking their pictures. They stared at me for a bit then left.

Back
Top Bottom