Dining out Anti-Gunnners

[frown] I was looking at articles on the web when I found one that was in a dining out section. I cannot believe that someone would write this in a food column!

Excerpt from :Stuffed animals
Clearman’s and Bella Italia offer two entirely different

By Erica Wayne

"As I discovered on our first (and only) visit about seven years ago, if Santa did live at Clearman's, he was definitely not the jolly ol' St. Nick I thought I knew. Judging from the honky-tonk pianist giving a bass rush to everything from "Great Balls of Fire" to "The 1812 Overture," the scantily clad cocktail waitresses with lace bodices and bloomers tossing bowls full of peanuts at the patrons, and the "art" collection of sensuous nudes, Santa likes his music loud, his women young and his drinks strong.

Santa's taste in interior design runs to dark wood, "classic" erotica, cerise leatherette and ersatz Tiffany chandeliers with red bulbs. The atmosphere's enveloping; once seated, it's easy to feel like staying on 'til Christmas and, if Santa stops by, perhaps giving him my shopping list and letting him handle my in-laws.

But then, with eyes adjusted to the dim light, I couldn't help but notice glassy stares from the mounted deer heads above the nudes. I counted them: eight adorable deer with large, brown, trusting, unseeing eyes. Hey, wait a second! Eight deer; why it couldn't be, could it? Santa wouldn't, would he? I lost interest in dessert.

After a six-year hiatus, I wondered if we should go back. After all, despite the signs of carnage, what's more Christmassy than Clearman's? Nice steaks, cozy atmosphere, strong drinks. But my husband put his foot down. He knows that the sight of those deer would automatically trigger larger year-end contributions to the Environmental Defense Fund and the Sarah Brady anti-NRA lobby.

Since I already spend an enormous portion of our income on animal charities as well as populating our home with strays and ferals (Have I mentioned the skunks who know how to use the pet-door, which is more than our cats do, and whom we meet with some regularity in our living room?), he put his foot down."
http://www.pasadenaweekly.com/article.php?id=4135&IssueNum=51

That sounds like my kinda place. I travel to the East Coast from time to time and will have to find that restraunt the next time I'm in the area. Thanks for the info.

Rod

He knows that the sight of those deer would automatically trigger larger year-end contributions to the Environmental Defense Fund and the Sarah Brady anti-NRA lobby.

Am I the only one who interprets that as the Brady Campaign has nothing to do with handgun violence or guns and is really against freedom, liberty, and civil rights?

What is that kind of PETA-moron doing in a meat-serving establishment in the first place? Sounds to me like she should stick to reviews on the latest trendy tofu spot.

I can only hope her article brings Stearman's plenty of new customers.

Got to admit though; I love her comment on eight deer heads!

Back
Top Bottom