Do you save the box?

mark2215

NES Member
I've been cleaning and reorganizing my gun/reloading area. I've found quite a few original boxes from new gun purchases. Do you save the boxes for your guns? Does it add any value having it if some day I decide to sell? I'm running out of space so could use the shelf they are on but don't want to toss them if they're worth something.

If it's a nice, plastic box, especially if it has some provision for locking, I will generally save it. I recently threw out several cardboard boxes I have had for 20+ years because I finally determined that I likely will not be selling the guns that came in them and they were taking up too much room.

I would guess that some cardboard boxes that older Colt or S&W pistols came in might bring you a bit more, but, in general, I think a buyer is more concerned with the condition of the firearm.

I save them. I like having the box if I buy used, so I'd would assume if I sell others would as well. It may or may not bring value depending on who your selling to.
Most of my guns are in LNIB condition anyway if they are target guns, so why not have the box.

I save em all. Just in case I move.

Can't freak out the neighborhood walking around with an "arsenal" in daylight...

When I made my escape from Mass, the pistols/revolvers went in pistol rugs and into a rubbermaid type container. For the rifles, I made several "crates" with semi-rigid and soft foam inside which kept them separated and secure. I used Luan plywood and 1x2's to make the crates and simply screwed down the top cover, no need for hinges.

I save them so kids can see them in museums...

iu

Yes.. If I ever do decide to sell, a lot of sellers want the box so it helps sell it faster and at a better price point this is hypothetical of course as I am keeping all my toys.

Plastic yes, although I saved the cardboard boxes from guns I inherited - a Colt .45 Gold Cup and 2 S&W revolvers (a .22 and and a .38 that haven't been used in years).

It's worthless cardboard. It does nothing except sit in the corner waiting to hand to the next person to have it sit in the corner. On the very rare occasion you have to ship a firearm, you can do better than any box from the manufacturer.

Answer this question:

Would you rather buy a gun that had a box (maybe it was stored in there for 20 years)...

OR

Would you buy a gun with no box?

Original owners often have the original box. I'd rather buy from the original owner not buy a gun that has been passed around.

Would you rather buy a car that was kept in a garage or one that has been on the streets for years?

Sure, I'll answer it. It has absolutely zero to do with the gun and my purchase decision. Like a car, you evaluate its condition. Somebody who hands you the original window sticker didn't necessarily change the oil.

Here's some counterpoint. There are countless people like me out there who couldn't care less about the box. Why concern yourself with storing cardboard when it doesn't matter?

I keep em cos they tend to have the serial number printed on on them in a lot of cases. Plus the hard ones double as free cases, which do come in handy when one has to move the entire contents of the gun safe after one's apartment has been smoked out from a fire in the building.

So yeah, the boxes saved me from buying a shitton of cases.

Back
Top Bottom