Do you save the box?

I keep em cos they tend to have the serial number printed on on them in a lot of cases. Plus the hard ones double as free cases, which do come in handy when one has to move the entire contents of the gun safe after one's apartment has been smoked out from a fire in the building.

So yeah, the boxes saved me from buying a shitton of cases.

I have saved the handgun cases from the new guns I have bought. My shotguns, it's hard to justify a cardboard box through multiple moves when I have better cases.

Used guns older than me .... Yeah there was no box that came with them.

For collectible firearms, having the original box can significantly increase the value. Personally, I keep them in case I decide to resell.

If it's a nice, plastic box, especially if it has some provision for locking, I will generally save it. I recently threw out several cardboard boxes I have had for 20+ years because I finally determined that I likely will not be selling the guns that came in them and they were taking up too much room.

I would guess that some cardboard boxes that older Colt or S&W pistols came in might bring you a bit more, but, in general, I think a buyer is more concerned with the condition of the firearm.

I'll take the box if its included in the deal, but I'm not paying extra for a piece of cardboard.

Others think differently.

It's worthless cardboard. It does nothing except sit in the corner waiting to hand to the next person to have it sit in the corner. On the very rare occasion you have to ship a firearm, you can do better than any box from the manufacturer.

I kept the boxes for years. Then realized that I was keeping the boxes for years and not doing anything with them. So I threw them away.

To all the above. I originally kept all boxes. In a cleanup I thought like most of you that there was no point to keeping cardboard boxes, so I tossed them. After 20+ yrs of sitting in my safe, I went to sell my Colt Series 70 Mark IV 1911 that really did have just a few hundred rounds thru it and was bought new ~1976. I was shocked to learn that the "worthless" cardboard box I had thrown out would have garnered another $100-150 when sold with the gun! Oh well!

For doubters, check out some of the S&W forums, collectors pay $100-200 for just one of those "worthless" blue boxes without the gun!

For collectible firearms, having the original box can significantly increase the value. Personally, I keep them in case I decide to resell.

Indeed!

I save them because I am a little OCD about it.

This.

I can't think of many guns it's valuable for. I've got a 70's Model 38 Smith that has the original box. Not only is the gun small, I could probably fit the cardboard box in my pocket as well. But it's old and original and in good condition.

I've got to have a stupid box for just about every long gun I've bought. Grrr. Just stupid. I'm in the middle of a basement clean-up, so maybe I'll jettison some boxes.

I keep them because I personally love seeing the designs of old packaging.
Plus I feel like if someone cared enough to keep the packaging they care enough to take care of the firearm similarly.

I save the boxes for a particular reason. The boxes were made to protect the firearm in transit. When I move, the firearms go in the boxes, the boxes go in the safe, the safe goes in the enclosed trailer or a locked pod. You can fit a lot of firearms in a safe when they are in the boxes,(and the shelves are removed from safe) and they move without damage. Another move in two years (looking forward to a free state!)

To all the above. I originally kept all boxes. In a cleanup I thought like most of you that there was no point to keeping cardboard boxes, so I tossed them. After 20+ yrs of sitting in my safe, I went to sell my Colt Series 70 Mark IV 1911 that really did have just a few hundred rounds thru it and was bought new ~1976. I was shocked to learn that the "worthless" cardboard box I had thrown out would have garnered another $100-150 when sold with the gun! Oh well!

For doubters, check out some of the S&W forums, collectors pay $100-200 for just one of those "worthless" blue boxes without the gun!

There are exceptions to every rule, but storing a cardboard box for 20 years on the off chance that it becomes a $100 collectible and you actually sell to cash in? No, thanks. I'm not familiar with that particular box, but I bet it's a bit more interesting than most.

If I did actually have some use for the box, that would be another matter. But, they're mostly junk. I can buy some cheap Plano cases for guns that don't already have or didn't come with one if I move. Parts get stored in more effective drawers or cabinets.

Only save hard/plastic cases/boxes. Any cardboard boxes get shit-canned (or go into the recycle bin) shortly after it comes home. Most of the time, I wait until I've taken it to the range and fired it, but not always. I have enough hard cases for most of my rifles, so it's never been an issue (transporting to the range). I've also never needed to send a firearm back to the manufacturer to get worked on.

If I remember I ask if there is a box, and try to look disappointed if there isn't so I can get a better deal. I usually forget. I don't really care, unless it was something like the one Fencer showed in post 31.

I tend to chuck the pistol boxes in the trash or firepit.

Rifle boxes, I'll save until recycle day, and put them with the cardboard of a neighbor who hangs liberal politician signs on his lawn. Always make sure the firearms logo is visible to all who pass by.

I've sold a couple of Remington 870s from the 70s and 80s, and a nice S&W model 13, in all cases with the original boxes and paperwork. The buyers were ALWAYS pleased that they came with original documentation. Presentation is everything.

In most, but not all cases, a man who will go out of his way to tenderly keep an original cardboard box in pristine condition...
probably treated the firearm even better.

I've always kept the original boxes on the premise that if I ever had to send the gun to the factory for repairs it would be helpful to have a box designed for shipping. As others have mentioned if I ever move it will simplify the process. (It helps that attics are made to store things like this.)
About collector value. Five years ago I had to send a revolver in to Ruger for a rebuild. I put it in the original box, covered that with the nesting box/sleeve that they use, and shipped it off. A few days later UPS dropped off a package. My original gold and black factory box, empty, with a note saying it was a collector's item and they didn't have storage space to keep track of it. Ruger paid UPS to deliver an empty cardboard box! Inside a protective nesting sleeve. Talk about great customer service. I haven't yet, but I really should research the value of that box. We live in a strange world.

I'll amend my earlier statement by saying I'd save some boxes. The cardboard from quality firearms: S&W revolvers, Colt handguns, maybe a few (very few) others. Anything else is just junk laying around. A box from a Mossberg 500 or Remington 700 is never going to be worth anything.

If anyone doesn't want their cardboard or plastic boxes, why not offer them up here in the Classifieds? No reason to put them on the curb when you can help someone who is looking for it.

I’ve saved the boxes for my pistols but not long guns. I don’t really plan on doing anything with them but they’re sort of cool.

Don’t plan on selling them either.

Back
Top Bottom