Do you save the box?

This is what I mean, $170 for a Colt 1911 cardboard box, with 3 already sold at that price. It really is nothing special, but collectors are willing to pay for them.
Colt BOX Pistol Factory 1911 Case Box Vintage 45 ACP COLT 1911 70 80 NATIONAL | eBay

Still better than your average cardboard box. I can see someone wanting it.

I'll amend my earlier statement by saying I'd save some boxes. The cardboard from quality firearms: S&W revolvers, Colt handguns, maybe a few (very few) others. Anything else is just junk laying around. A box from a Mossberg 500 or Remington 700 is never going to be worth anything.

+1

If anyone doesn't want their cardboard or plastic boxes, why not offer them up here in the Classifieds? No reason to put them on the curb when you can help someone who is looking for it.

Will do.

In most, but not all cases, a man who will go out of his way to tenderly keep an original cardboard box in pristine condition...
probably treated the firearm even better.

I should hope so. Storing boxes in a dry corner is much, much easier than caring for a firearm. There's no correlation.

I sometimes I wished that my friend who bequeathed me his Colt Python (God rest his soul) had kept the box but I'm not one to kick a gift horse in the mouth. Not that I will ever sell it but....

I should hope so. Storing boxes in a dry corner is much, much easier than caring for a firearm. There's no correlation.
Lol. Stick in the mud.

The lack of correlation does not imply the lack of causation...

3710b.jpg

Last edited:
I sometimes I wished that my friend who bequeathed me his Colt Python (God rest his soul) had kept the box but I'm not one to kick a gift horse in the mouth. Not that I will ever sell it but....
lol, i can relate. a buddy of mine passed away over 12 years ago and gave me his 45 acp colt combat commander before he died. every time i shoot it i piss about how it's a series 80. however i did get the outer cardboard box and plastic case/papers with it so i'm thankful for the small details anyway. [laugh]

No. I don’t care about cardboard. I also don’t have any collectibles or unique guns.
Plastic box that works as a case yes of course.
I prefer to not keep trash in the house in general.
Recycle if you can.

No. I don’t care about cardboard. I also don’t have any collectibles or unique guns.
Plastic box that works as a case yes of course.
I prefer to not keep trash in the house in general.
Recycle if you can.
When I bought my Colt 1911 they were a commodity gun ($200 in 1976). Never gave a thought that it would someday become a "collectible" or that the plain cardboard box would be worth anything at all. But as above, 3 people each paid $170 for those same plain boxes . . . almost as much as I had paid for the gun originally! Go figure what will be collectible some day!

I traded away a M1A a while back. As the trade finalized, I came out with the original box, the owner's manual and all the other stuff that came with it. The person's eyes lit up. Yeah, it didn't really mean anything since the deal was already done, but it was actually noticeable. To me, it would show the OCD of how you feel about the gun, you took care of it, it meant something more than a piece of metal. Unless that's all it is to you, then I guess that's cool and all, but you're a monster.

When I bought my Colt 1911 they were a commodity gun ($200 in 1976). Never gave a thought that it would someday become a "collectible" or that the plain cardboard box would be worth anything at all. But as above, 3 people each paid $170 for those same plain boxes . . . almost as much as I had paid for the gun originally! Go figure what will be collectible some day!

Wow. Just wow.

I've tried to, but the wife has thrown some of them out.

But then again, I save "everything", including crap I don't really need to save. I'm like a moth-ball-smelling old man hoarder, so I guess she's right about some of the stuff ......

This has been sitting on my safe until I find a better place to display it. I don't want to just store it in a closet, and it constantly reminds me of this thread. Don't think I'll part with this one, but the odds that I'd sell this gun are virtually zero. I'd store Beretta stuff in it, but I don't use the plastic case that's inside the box either. 0711202207.jpg

I keep all the boxes. I keep all my knife boxes also. I know with knives, like Len says, they increase the value. Here’s a story. I went to an estate sale once and asked the guy running it if there was any watches. He said there was one. Well his buddy overheard him and when I came back to the line and into the house when it opened the watch was gone. I asked the guy running it where the watch was and he said “oh..it was just an empty box”. I looked over at the box sitting on top of a trash pile and looked at the dude and said I knew his buddy bought the watch. I said “too bad, I would have offered you $100.00 more for the watch with the box.” It was a vintage Waltham. His mouth dropped open and I flipped him the finger and walked away. I never got anymore mailings for estate sales after that.

Last edited:
I save em all. Just in case I move.

Can't freak out the neighborhood walking around with an "arsenal" in daylight...
Lol when I moved in I had 4 Rifles strapped over my shoulder 2 ammo cans a duffle bag and a gps range finder with 4 guns.... my neighbor wouldn't stop talking to me lmao

I save ‘em. I’ve also taken to keeping a select few shipping boxes that can fit ‘Tupperware’ as well. Even if everything is on the level, handing someone a FedEx box in a grocery store parking lot comes off a little less conspicuous than a black plastic box with an embossed Glock logo on it. Again, legal regardless of a ‘discreet overbox’ (thank you TSUSA) but I’d rather not have to spend 30 minutes explaining everything if I can avoid it by keeping a few extra boxes on hand, JIC.

I save ‘em. I’ve also taken to keeping a select few shipping boxes that can fit ‘Tupperware’ as well. Even if everything is on the level, handing someone a FedEx box in a grocery store parking lot comes off a little less conspicuous than a black plastic box with an embossed Glock logo on it. Again, legal regardless of a ‘discreet overbox’ (thank you TSUSA) but I’d rather not have to spend 30 minutes explaining everything if I can avoid it by keeping a few extra boxes on hand, JIC.
Ok I'm done. Ill see myself out 20201221_222259.jpg

Reminds me of when I bought a 6" barreled 357 Mag wheelgun from Adam at Acme.....he puts it into a plastic Market Basket bag. The guys at the shop next to me got a kick out of that. No, I didn't save it.

It is amazing the number of people that think they can take $100 off the asking price of a 13 year old pistol in great shape because I don't have the original cardboard box. Plastic cases and nice pistol or rifle bags, like my M1A came in. No cardboard boxes!

It's worthless cardboard. It does nothing except sit in the corner waiting to hand to the next person to have it sit in the corner. On the very rare occasion you have to ship a firearm, you can do better than any box from the manufacturer.

I don't know about that...Palmetto State Armory has some pretty good rifle boxes. I wouldn't mind having about 20 more of them......they stack nicely and you can fit 2 full size rifles, carbines or pistols in each one and slide it into the shipping sleeve. Most of my ARs were built from receivers and lower parts kits with uppers ordered afterwards so I don't have a rifle box/sleeve for about 3/4 of them.

to me it is just a habit, as if i ever want to sell it - from old ebay experience an item with an original packaging present sells better then an item without one.
so, for most audio, photo, lenses, guns - it is worth keeping its original labeled box if item costs more than a $500. like, if i ever decide to sell any of vortex scopes i have now - boxes are good to have.

Back
Top Bottom