Dog kills duck and duck owner shoots dog dead. Where do you stand?

Status
Not open for further replies.
And how do we know where the dog was when he shot it? He buried the dog and the lied about shooting it.

Was the dog still in his yard or did it already exit the yard like the other dog?

If it already exited the yard was duck boy still within his rights to shoot a dog who was no longer threatening his ducks?

His point is that most people believe they have the right to defend livestock on their own property. This is a rational POV.

Of course the happy fun ball is "are ducks livestock" or not, legally. I guess if you were raising them for food, the answer is "yes".

This is one of those happy fun ball cases.....

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xtr6XgPnWyE

I totally get that, but if your livestock is being killed by predators, you suck at being a livestock owner. That’s my only point. Obviously the dogs didn’t belong in the yard and were most likely 99% at fault.

I think I would have first at least notified animal control if it had happened before. I can't imagine that there is not going to be some legal issues with the town for doing this without any previous reporting of the problem. I personally would not have shot the dog, I would have reported it and tried to get the dog owner fined and get paid for my animals that were killed. I can only imagine there will be some other missing ducks in the near future that cannot be found.
According to article he notified and warned the owner of the dogs behavior. As far as having the ducks, maybe raising them for food or eggs??

Well, dog owners were warned. Though killing and burying the dog before telling the owner seems a little weird as well

Well with out some details
Was duck or dog on their respective property?
Did the duck/dog enter a contained area.

Other than that Stupid duck for not half ass flying away.?
Sucks for dog if on ducks property

Kill and burry dog….something whacky goin on

Statute states "livestock of fowl". So, they are covered.
His point is that most people believe they have the right to defend livestock on their own property. This is a rational POV.

Of course the happy fun ball is "are ducks livestock" or not, legally. I guess if you were raising them for food, the answer is "yes".

This is one of those happy fun ball cases.....

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xtr6XgPnWyE

99%, now we are talking progress.....
I just have a problem with people posting things like “100%” or “without a doubt” or similar absolutes, when they obviously don’t know 100% without a doubt. The duck owner could be an absolute psycho and purposely baited it to his yard to kill it. Has happened plenty before. Not sure if you remember the Karen that tried to poison her neighbors dog with chocolate covered mothballs that was posted here a couple weeks ago.

My personal approach which I've had to use because I live in an area where nearly every neighbor owns a dog and lots own other animals. The first time we chase or catch the dog and bring it back. The second time the dog gets a warning shot and chased off. The 3rd time it would get shot. Unlike the story, I would own it and help them bury the dog. Hell I'd probably offer to get them a new dog. No empathetic person wants to merc a pet.

I'm not raising chickens for the fun of it. I'm raising them for food. Don't f*** with a man's food on his property.

I've also been the owner guilty of my dogs running off like energetic retards into neighbors yards. My dogs have gotten a warning shot before. They learned their lesson and I learned mine.

I have fowl (chickens) and livestock (goats). If someone's dog is on my property and in the process of harassing either my fowl or livestock it will be shot. I will promptly call up the dog warden and let them know there is a dead dog on my property and dead/injured fowl and/or livestock and ask him to fetch said dog and to get me information on the dog owner so I can get appropriate compensation from them.

The shoot in this thread is a little questionable because of the shooters actions after the fact. They are in violation of the law requiring prompt notification indicating it was likely a highly emotional act and not rational action on their part, an action towards a pet and not livestock/fowl.

I have fowl (chickens) and livestock (goats). If someone's dog is on my property and in the process of harassing either my fowl or livestock it will be shot. I will promptly call up the dog warden and let them know there is a dead dog on my property and dead/injured fowl and/or livestock and ask him to fetch said dog and to get me information on the dog owner so I can get appropriate compensation from them.

The shoot in this thread is a little questionable because of the shooters actions after the fact. They are in violation of the law requiring prompt notification indicating it was likely a highly emotional act and not rational action on their part, an action towards a pet and not livestock/fowl.
The moron neighbors may have threatened him when he said I'm telling you for the last time keep your dogs off my property. It's highly likely the dogs owners have effed with this guy for a long time.

The moron neighbors may have threatened him when he said I'm telling you for the last time keep your dogs off my property. It's highly likely the dogs owners have effed with this guy for a long time.
Pretty much my point. It appears to be an emotional shoot. Protection of livestock and fowl is a business decision/action and easily done without emotion. I have no problem shooting a dog to protect my livestock or fowl.

What is the value of a 5 month old hen that is laying an egg every day when you can only buy one day old or similar and have to wait 12-16 weeks before they lay again? The cost of the new hen, account for early mortality, account for lost egg production... You get to a number that boggles peoples mind and they argue over paying it (first hand experience)

It's possible that the dog was... molested, shall we say, before the burial. That would explain the lack of notification and the denial.

I'm not accusing anyone of this, just pointing out it fits with the known facts, that's all.
yeah, seems very strange to me why he shot the dog but then didn't tell anyone even when asked.

What else could have gone on that he really didn't want anyone else to find out?

And how do we know where the dog was when he shot it? He buried the dog and the lied about shooting it.

Was the dog still in his yard or did it already exit the yard like the other dog?

If it already exited the yard was duck boy still within his rights to shoot a dog who was no longer threatening his ducks?

Any competent hunter could figure this out by backtracking blood, town police might have a hard time but a local game warden wouldn't.
yeah, seems very strange to me why he shot the dog but then didn't tell anyone even when asked.

What else could have gone on that he really didn't want anyone else to find out?

Personally, if I had to blow away the neighbor's dog and they came on my property in a fit of hysteria and rage I'd deny it too. I know the law says he has the duty to tell the owner, but f*** that, the duty is to report it to the police and let them deal with it.

Pretty much my point. It appears to be an emotional shoot. Protection of livestock and fowl is a business decision/action and easily done without emotion. I have no problem shooting a dog to protect my livestock or fowl.

What is the value of a 5 month old hen that is laying an egg every day when you can only buy one day old or similar and have to wait 12-16 weeks before they lay again? The cost of the new hen, account for early mortality, account for lost egg production... You get to a number that boggles peoples mind and they argue over paying it (first hand experience)
For sure. However, I would advise the dog owners to keep the other dog on their property. But most importantly I would advise them under no uncertain terms to take snow and shovel it up onto his property......

It's possible that the dog was... molested, shall we say, before the burial. That would explain the lack of notification and the denial.

I'm not accusing anyone of this, just pointing out it fits with the known facts, that's all.
What are you saying Man!!
Necrobeastiality?

Any competent hunter could figure this out by backtracking blood, town police might have a hard time but a local game warden wouldn't.

Personally, if I had to blow away the neighbor's dog and they came on my property in a fit of hysteria and rage I'd deny it too. I know the law says he has the duty to tell the owner, but f*** that, the duty is to report it to the police and let them deal with it.
Agree with everything you stated.

When was the dog killed? How much inclement weather have we had? Could that have covered or eliminated the blood trail? Could the dog killer have had enough time to stage a scene to fit with his version of events?

And even if he didn’t call or tell the owner he could have called animal control or the police notify the owner after he made the declaration to law enforcement.

But he chose to agree with the part of the law that seems to allow him to kill a predator animal but then either didn’t know or just ignored the part about notifying law enforcement.

So just in my mind there leaves some room for suspicion on the duck owners part.

None of this absolves the dog owners. The duck was killed and their dogs were out off leash and they admitted as much.

As others implied this could be a long standing feud between these two.

Last edited:

Exactly.

It's entirely possible we a bestial necrophiliac on our hands.

I don't know. Should we alert the authorities or just let them sort it out for themselves?

Necrobeastiality?

I see I'm not the only one that came to this conclusion...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom