EVERY SHOOTER Should Get a C&R FFL!

People confuse this all the time.

Class III Dealer sells Title 2 guns (F/A).

03 FFL is often mis-spoken as Class 3 giving many the impression that they are talking about the prior paragraph.

An 03 FFL (Curios & Relics Collector) CAN obtain F/A on the 03 FFL, shipped to the door. BUT it still requires the Fed paperwork and $200 Transfer Tax on each one (true for entire US). In MA it also requires that you hold a "green card" (mg license . . . another $100/6 years and discretionary on the chief).

14 days to get C & R license! Waiting on Non-res CCW FL application!

Just wanted to say thanks to all the NES members for the great advice on getting the C & R license! I mailed my application on 4/16 and received the license in the mail today. Looking forward to using it!

Will post my results of the FL Non-res. CCW application, mailed on 4/13. I'm sure that will be another month or so. Has anyone had any experience lately with this?

Thanks again,

Randy

Define Curio....

there's a lot of talk on the relic part of the firearms but I think theres more leeway with the curio portion of the C&R license. If you like rarerer firearms anyway... from: http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/curios/intro.htm

states that a curio or relic must fall into 3 sections to qualify I like the third one.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.) Firearms which were manufactured at least 50 years prior to the current date, but not including replicas thereof;
2.) Firearms which are certified by the curator of a municipal, State, or Federal museum which exhibits firearms to be curios or relics of museum interest; and
3.) Any other firearms which derive a substantial part of their monetary value from the fact that they are novel, rare, bizarre, or because of their association with some historical figure, period, or event. Proof of qualification of a particular firearm under this category may be established by evidence of present value and evidence that like firearms are not available except as collector's items, or that the value of like firearms available in ordinary commercial channels is substantially less.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have been itching to try a mateba and would like to eventually own one... was hoping it would qualify as a curio but its not on the "list" wouldnt a low barrel autococking revolver qualify as rare novel and bizarre? Any mods input would be nice on this!

License in hand today. 17 days. Could I trouble somebody for a PM'd or emailed list of companies that still might ship to us poor unfortunate souls in the PRM?

Oh, and along the way, I thought that a Class III firearm required a Class III license, and that the MA green card was also the mythical Class III license. Learn sumtin new all the time. Thanks for the proper/correct info.

Got the information package yesterday. Now I'm looking for the blue envelope to show up soon.

Was talking to my DW about it last night. The subject of "why" came up. Part of my reply was something like it allows me to avoid certain gun control rules and regulations. Her response was "Good". Got to love her. She may still be getting used to the actuality of having guns in the house, but she has no problem with the principle, nor are her conservative credentials in doubt.

Got the information package yesterday. Now I'm looking for the blue envelope to show up soon.

Was talking to my DW about it last night. The subject of "why" came up. Part of my reply was something like it allows me to avoid certain gun control rules and regulations. Her response was "Good". Got to love her. She may still be getting used to the actuality of having guns in the house, but she has no problem with the principle, nor are her conservative credentials in doubt.

Sorry, what is a "DW"?

I've just requested my C&R application, and my interview to renew my LTC-A(hunting&target) here in Lowell is on June 20.
I know it's wishful thinking, but I'd like to get the LTC changed to "lawful purposes" or "personal protection". Would applying for, or having, the C&R license help or hinder me with this?

What would help you, especially living in Lowell, is talking to a lawyer and getting his assistance. We have several here on the board - send a PM to either Cross-X or Scrivener as they both are well versed in firearms law.

Good luck.

C&R and LTC are two very unrelated things.

Having a C&R is not going to have any influence on a Licensing Authority.

Just got a newsletter from the ATF (that's what's on the letter, not BATFE).

It says that faxing a copy of your license to a seller is ok (I knew this) and now it says that emailing a scanned copy is also permissible.

That's cool! I wonder how many dealers will accept a scanned email image?

Just got a newsletter from the ATF (that's what's on the letter, not BATFE).

It says that faxing a copy of your license to a seller is ok (I knew this) and now it says that emailing a scanned copy is also permissible.

That's cool! I wonder how many dealers will accept a scanned email image?

My understanding was that FFLs could email copies of their license, but C&Rs still need to be mailed.

I went to the ATF website, and the newsletter is dated January, but the hyperlink is dated May 17th.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/newsletter/1206fflnewsletter.pdf

I'm thinking that this applies to 01FFLs, not 03FFLs. C&Rs are different creatures. The newsletter also discusses eZ check, which is something that C&Rs don't deal with.

emailed copies?

Trust me, there are C&R vendors out there, who do accept scanned, and emailed copies!

Adam,
Could you please tell me who they are? PM maybe? I just sent my paperwork yesterday afternoon. I went so far as to buy a book of stamps, but I just hate using snail mail. Bits 'n bytes are so much easier.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Orvanic,
No offense to you personally, but I will not disclose the names of sources to people I do not personally know.

I hope you understand that living here in MA, I have very few options, and will not jeopardize that in any way.

I will tell you, that I found out that they would accept the email copy, simply by calling and asking what I needed to do to.

EVERY FFL (of every type) gets the books and newsletters from BATFE. Keeping informed is a good thing, even if everything doesn't apply to us 03 C&R FFLs.

Every dealer is different!

For the 31 years I've been shooting, Lew Horton's wholesale operation has NEVER accepted 03 FFLs in any form whatsoever.

For many of those years, KTP wouldn't either. I do understand that you can now go in there and buy with an 03 FFL as an FFL to FFL transfer (do your own FA-10 when you come home to MA if you're a MA Subject).

As far as BATFE is concerned, 03 FFLs CAN legally send their FFL via FAX, (now) Email, etc. Any dealer can accept this or reject it and make their own rules. Easiest way to learn is to ASK them.

I Faxed my 03 to a very well known dealer back in 2005 when it renewed. A few months ago I was checking their website and couldn't get pricing. Somewhere there I was able to determine that they allowed me to login but were treating me as an "expired FFL". Then I read their current policy, no Faxed FFLs from 03s! So I sent it to them via SnailMail. Hopefully some day I'll get their fliers again in SnailMail.

BTW: They did NOT notify me that they rejected my Faxed 03 back in 2005. Their error and since I wasn't buying anything from them, I never picked up on it.

Back in 1999 and 2002 I sent SnailMail to some 30-40 dealers/distributors. Some have since gone out of business, many won't do business here (MA) any more, one pissed me off (canceled an order 3 times that was to be sent to an 01 FFL, with no notification/acknowledgment to either of us), and I found that I was only doing limited business with maybe 6 or so companies. In 2005 I only sent my FFL via FAX to ~8 companies. If money becomes more plentiful and another company suddenly interests me, I'll send it off to them at that time.

Last edited:
No offense to you personally

None taken...no worries. I live in NH. I was really just trying to figure out how much of this I can get done electronically.

I just read through 45 pages, and your's is the only mention of emailing a scanned license. I'll make some calls.

Back
Top Bottom