Forced surrender of bump stocks in MA EOPSS letter, per GOAL

The letter specifically states that "the law does not allow for transfer or sale of these prohibited items". Therefore, there is no legal way to be reimbursed for your now illegal property which by definition is then a taking under the law.

good point, although law says nothing of transfer, only this letter does, sales are illegal effective laws passing

good point, although law says nothing of transfer, only this letter does, sales are illegal effective laws passing
The amended law also only says does not apply to bump stocks in the section about reasons for issuing a MG license. The interpretation that ownership with an existing MG is illegal is patently false.

I've skipped over the last few pages so please forgive me if I'm repeating what has been said.

There have been a lot of comment about how numbers = power when it comes to GOAL and Comm2a, and how only a very small % of gun owners are member. And I realize both organizations need funds to survive. But there is something to be gained by having low-cost or even free memberships as they allow the organization to have much larger membership numbers. If there was a class of "membership" the local gun stores could include with every firearm sale, we would probably see a major increase in the number or members. Imagine Jim Wallace speaking at the statehouse and saying GOAL had 300,000 members.

imagine, LGS: "here's your 4477 form and your free joint GOAL Comm2a membership form."

And this also creates a list for soliciting donations, like it or not this is how these organizations survive. I know people don't want to be on a list, but if you have to be, and we certainly are, there are worse lists you could be on.

Sorry for the topic drift

Therefore, there is no legal way to be reimbursed for your now illegal property which by definition is then a taking under the law.
Although Healys meglomania knows no limit, I doubt this would ban the sale of a bump stock someone takes out of MA before the end of the grace period.

Although Healys meglomania knows no limit, I doubt this would ban the sale of a bump stock someone takes out of MA before the end of the grace period.

here is a question, as a peasant who belongs to MA, may I offer it for sale in NH, strictly legally speaking? It seems to apply to paying taxes for good purchased outside of MA in say NH, but could a Ma**h*** offering bumpstock for sale in NH for that specific offense?

I've skipped over the last few pages so please forgive me if I'm repeating what has been said.

There have been a lot of comment about how numbers = power when it comes to GOAL and Comm2a, and how only a very small % of gun owners are member. And I realize both organizations need funds to survive. But there is something to be gained by having low-cost or even free memberships as they allow the organization to have much larger membership numbers. If there was a class of "membership" the local gun stores could include with every firearm sale, we would probably see a major increase in the number or members. Imagine Jim Wallace speaking at the statehouse and saying GOAL had 300,000 members.

imagine, LGS: "here's your 4477 form and your free joint GOAL Comm2a membership form."

And this also creates a list for soliciting donations, like it or not this is how these organizations survive. I know people don't want to be on a list, but if you have to be, and we certainly are, there are worse lists you could be on.

Sorry for the topic drift

Yes, 100%, there should be ladder membership with some discounts and various levels of memberships, your basic coupon strategy. May be they can run promotion on membership 50% off, to sign up my skinflint friends. Discount on family members.

As shooters, we should actively seek other people who are not members and recruit them, shamelessly. I brought this topic up a few pages ago and it's great to revive it. There are many ways that we can strive for greater membership numbers.

As to lists, I really doubt that anyone is not on some list anymore. If you are not being contacted means that your business isn't wanted.

I realize this may be controversial, but if anyone HAS turned these in to the police, would you mind sending me a message? I have a few questions and I think we could all benefit from understanding how the police handle this. I would absolutely keep your info confidential.

No, I don't own a bump stock and can't be my own test subject.

With 351 chiefs in MA, each ruling their own fiefdom when it comes to firearms licensing, etc. I would not count on any one experience to provide accurate insight into what would happen in any other town.

Now then post office will know who all the gun owners are

Got my letter in my PO Box today. I already receive several firearms catalogs there. I noticed one of the women employees taking more interest in me after she connected the dots and discovered I was dangerous. lol, women.

Draft Cards aren't the only things that Burn...

Ramparts-Draft-Card-Dec.-1967-thumb-550x717-7220.jpg

Rally on Boston Common Anybody?

Informed Delivery says I have four letters including one that is probably Maura's dunning letter, but my letter carrier is a wussy and won't deliver the mail if there are either two raindrops or two snowflakes withing five parsecs of each other.

(But he does real good on pleasant, sunny, warm but not overly hot days)

Me and the wife got ours today. Told her I’m thinking about using the letter as a target then mailing it back.....no return address of course...

We get this letter, telling us we can't have the extra soooper killy shit.

Yet back on 7/20, not a peep?
I'm thinking that confirms what we all knew.

Got two letters today. Probably since I have my green card too... what a waste of time, money, and resources.

Got two letters today. Probably since I have my green card too... what a waste of time, money, and resources.

Am I the only one who thinks it is odd that they can define something as a machine gun, but then say that a machine gun license does not allow possession of a newly defined machine gun?

Am I the only one who thinks it is odd that they can define something as a machine gun, but then say that a machine gun license does not allow possession of a newly defined machine gun?
That's easy when you talk out of both sides of your mouth ,like every politician in this state has mastered.

MG license allows possession but owning a bump stock, or wanting to own one, can't be used as a reason for getting an MG license.

Confiscation is confiscation. Doesn't matter in my book if you are compensated or not. I don't know when the State has exercised this power in the past, but this is a dangerous precedent. Maura just wet herself because this opens the door wide open. I thought only the communists pulled this shit. Once this is done, they can do it to your ARs, your semi auto pistols and those dangerous glocks that everyone owns. Or maybe your car, or all the child hazards in your house, better yet, your house; you know, the one that is way bigger than you need. Sound like I am paranoid? Bet your ass I am. Look back at how much things have changed in the past ten years...wow.

With 351 chiefs in MA, each ruling their own fiefdom when it comes to firearms licensing, etc. I would not count on any one experience to provide accurate insight into what would happen in any other town.

I don't disagree... but any knowledge is more than we have now. It wouldn't surprise me if Chief's got a letter with some instructions as well.

Back when the 7/20/16 nonsense was first flying around, a few emails to a select few on Healey's staff proved invaluable.

Okay folks.... I am a stay under the radar kind of guy but I am close to done. Here is a first draft of what I am thinking of sending. Please critique.

Dear Governor Baker,

Thank you for sending me the letter threatening criminal prosecution if I have in my possession a bump stock. I appreciate the 90 day grace period to arrange for proper destruction.

First of all, I do not own a bump stock. I would never own a bump stock, but I respect the right for other law abiding citizens to have it in their possession. If it were not for the media and politicians exploiting a horrible situation, I along with millions of other law abiding Americans, would have no idea what a bump stock is or know how it is used.

I do not know the laws regarding confiscation and what the difference is between being compensated for something the State takes from its taxpayers, versus no compensation. I have a very simple outlook on the subject. Confiscation is confiscation. Under no circumstances can you convince me that there is a greater good at play here. This is a slippery slope. While an example such as confiscating my home because it is bigger than I need may sound silly and far fetched, this is the direction we are heading. The world is full of good intentions with unintended consequences. This letter opened the door wide open for the State to exercise some incredible powers.

I would like to address the issues of guns for a moment. I have had my license for a bit over one year. While I have an interest in shooting, hunting and the right to defend myself and my family, I was prompted to obtain my license as a silent protest to the aggressive actions of our attorney general. I, along with the other 300 million or so legally registered law abiding gun owners, are not the problem. Most of us love our country, our neighbors and have the utmost respect for everyone around us. If you could only focus your efforts to convince people to look out for one another, have families, care for their young and old, the State would be a much better place. I am willing to bet if you could do that, other things like the opioid crisis, deficits, welfare and countless other issues would all fall into place.

I am so tired of trying to mind my own business, only to feel like I am constantly being slapped down by the government that is supposed to be caring for me and my family. It never stops.

The State has a problem, they just don't know it yet. People like me are a silent majority. I will not go out and protest. I can't. I am too busy working and trying to make a better life for my family. What I will do is move. Many of us will move. And herein lies your problem. We are the tax base.

My 86 year old grandmother called me earlier asking me if I received the letter. Her and my 87 year old grandfather both got one.

I told her what a bunch of BS it is and she says “well I guess you have to do what they say”. I’m like no no no, that’s not true. Had to explain the BS to her but I’m not sure she really agreed or understood how absurd this whole thing is

MG license allows possession but owning a bump stock, or wanting to own one, can't be used as a reason for getting an MG license.

This is what i thought, the letter says otherwise.. i have been unable to look at the actual text via their website... they should have included the actual language with their fake letter, but we all know thats not what this is about.

Like all other gun laws if you were charged with the stock, its probably like the 40 or 50th felony charge you'll have to answer to anway... unless somones going to walk in to their pd and turn thermselves in.

Back
Top Bottom