Four Seasons Firearms, Woburn, MA

My daughter and I landed @ FS just before 8:00 AM. The parking lot was pretty full. We were the first people that had to wait in the hall. We were deli #51. Gerry Mahoney drew our number at 8:25 AM. We were picking up a Walther PPK/380 with the Crimson Trace Grip that I had ordered. We grabbed some ammo, pepper spray, safe's & a holster too. Handed them ten $100's and they gave me back $1.13, just like MacDonalds. When we left at about 9:40 AM the store was packed. Between the store, hallway & parking lot I'd guess there were 150-200 people there.

I haven't been there in ages. Please tell me it's not like that every weekend. Was it for the Federal Ammo truck?? Carl HAS to expand!

Im gonna go out a limb 90% of the people who went knew what they where after. With the take a number system I bet the longest wait was for a open line to the ATF
I quessing carl had all his workers useing cell their cell phones. still thats pretty busy.

Waiting time of ~3 hrs, store time of ~20 minutes; I called earlier in the week for them to put something aside for me so the trip would not be fruitless. Saw myself near the end of the line in the photos, on a positive note I did get a bit of a tan on line. [smile]

I stopped by at 3:15. There were about 15 people in the hallway waiting to for gun purchases. I was only buying ammo, so I was able to go right in. I walked out 5 minutes later with 3,000 rounds American Eagle 9MM. [smile] Carl was standing by the register filling out paperwork when I asked if there was a discount for buying bulk ammo. He said 10% off if you buy the full box (20 cartons). I bought 3 boxes, and with no sales tax and the 10% off, I saved $117. Cost came to $0.2158/round, which is better than I've found in MA. My wife took the news better than I expected.

Im gonna go out a limb 90% of the people who went knew what they where after. With the take a number system I bet the longest wait was for a open line to the ATF
I quessing carl had all his workers useing cell their cell phones. still thats pretty busy.

The on-line MIRCS system is another chokepoint in the paperwork process.

The on-line MIRCS system is another chokepoint in the paperwork process.

And it's a huge one because I don't think there is any gun store in MA with more than one MIRCS terminal. [thinking]

It's actually worse now with the computer because at least with the paper FA-10s staffers could have just filled them out in parallel to the customer's transaction.

-Mike

That stupid mircs system was really the only choke point...
I went there in the afternoon to pick up a pistol, spent 20 minutes in the hallway waiting to get in the store, (not bad in my opinion), spent five minute waiting in the store before they called my number (not bad at all, i spent the 5 minutes pickin out some ammo, so it was like i didnt wait at all) then it was the normal time for the fed call and the transaction was pleasant as the employee and myself threw jokes back at one another...
Then i hit the mircs line...
over an hour waiting for that... (obv not FS fault)
The girl doing it was very pleasant
Overall, 2 hours from line entry to walkin out with a smile on my face
Worth the That stupid mircs system was really the only choke point...
I went there in the afternoon to pick up a pistol, spent 20 minutes in the hallway waiting to get in the store, (not bad in my opinion), spent five minute waiting in the store before they called my number (not bad at all, i spent the 5 minutes pickin out some ammo, so it was like i didnt wait at all) then it was the normal time for the fed call and the transaction was pleasant as the employee and myself threw jokes back at one another...
Worth the ijhdmnbThat stupid mircs system was really the only choke point...
Worth couple hundred I saved between tax free and store specials

And it's a huge one because I don't think there is any gun store in MA with more than one MIRCS terminal. [thinking]

It's actually worse now with the computer because at least with the paper FA-10s staffers could have just filled them out in parallel to the customer's transaction.

-Mike

I'll talk to Carl about an idea for next time (that he may want to try on Thanksgiving). One reason the MIRCS system is a chokepoint is the single fingerprint reader issued to the store. MIRCS provides an alternate PIN based method of user authentication. It may be possible to set up a second (or third) MIRCS system using a laptop and PIN authentication, and advertising "bring your PIN if you have it".

That stupid mircs system was really the only choke point...
Worth couple hundred I saved between tax free and store specials

[Repeat 20 times....]

Dude, what happened? Holy repeating post.

Good to hear so many people giving 4S some business.

I'll talk to Carl about an idea for next time (that he may want to try on Thanksgiving). One reason the MIRCS system is a chokepoint is the single fingerprint reader issued to the store. MIRCS provides an alternate PIN based method of user authentication. It may be possible to set up a second (or third) MIRCS system using a laptop and PIN authentication, and advertising "bring your PIN if you have it".

From their "MA Tax Free Day 2011" page:

**** If the state provided you with a PIN when you got your permit...please bring it with you.
It is not mandatory but using the PIN can expedite your transaction.

From their "MA Tax Free Day 2011" page:

**** If the state provided you with a PIN when you got your permit...please bring it with you.
It is not mandatory but using the PIN can expedite your transaction.

Gerry & Dawn both asked my daughter if she knew her pin, she gave me a look and responded, " It's at home in my safe, I didn't memorize mine like he did". Like I'm some PIN memorizing psycho, kids today [wink] .

I'm heading up with some friends Tuesday. Hope My F-250 can handle the trip back loaded down.... :eek:)

Ok Lawdogs... whats the legal limit of ammunition you can carry in a vehicle ????

whats the legal limit of ammunition you can carry in a vehicle ????

payload is usually dependent on engine, transmission, final gear ration as well as reg/ext/crew cab.

That reminds me of a few years ago Four Seasons had Serbian 5.56 at a fair price (would be a great price by todays standards) it came in 1560 round wooden crates. Man I wish I could have bought a truck load of it then.

I would rather pay sales Tax then wait in the line.

I waited in line for 20 minutes. In that time, one person came out with a firearm purchase. I left soon there after.

I only wanted a small pocket gun, so I wasn't going to be saving a lot on sales tax. Only thing that got my knickers in a twist is the extra sales they ran. Maybe a marketing major can help me out, but the tax-free weekend is like a free sale for them. Why not run the sale prices on another day?

And if anyone is going to point out that I'm bitter because I didn't get the sale price, then yes. Yes I am.

I spoke to Carl - It turns out he *DID* have two MIRCS terminals operating; MIRCS was just responding slowly.

That reminds me of a few years ago Four Seasons had Serbian 5.56 at a fair price (would be a great price by todays standards) it came in 1560 round wooden crates. Man I wish I could have bought a truck load of it then.

Don't feel too bad, this sort of thing happens to all of us. I remember when Four Seasons had a used, mint condition, Barret bolt action fifty with Pelican case, 100 or so rounds and Nightforce scope. I'm still mad at myself for not stealing it. (Stealing being the operative word since the asking price was $3995).

Last edited:
To put things in perspective, I was in BassPro late yesterday afternoon and walked by the gun counter. Guess what?? They have a deli-counter number dispenser and were calling numbers . . . same as what Carl implemented some time ago. Lots of employees hustling around behind the counter.

I guess the real point is that Carl and his staff were doing everything that they could to keep things going smoothly. Extra staff - check. Deli system - check. Plenty of inventory for the event - check. Owner on hand in person - check. Staff member coordinating line - check.

This is why we need the one-gun/month bill to pass. Just look at all those gun nuts in the pic. Boston will never be safe now and the Governor is to blame for not adding guns to the list of items that will be taxed today. Shame on him.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH You are joking, right ???

To put things in perspective, I was in BassPro late yesterday afternoon and walked by the gun counter. Guess what?? They have a deli-counter number dispenser and were calling numbers . . . same as what Carl implemented some time ago. Lots of employees hustling around behind the counter.

Ya Cabela's in CT has a ticket system at the gun counter also.

Someone help set up an intervention for me???? I went there today and bought my 6th gun from Carl since March 2010. I bought a new Ruger MKIII Hunter, 10 boxes of 9mm, 5 boxes of .380 auto, 2 boxes of Federal Bulk .22LR, a set of pink eyes and ears for my daughter, an Elite holster for my BG380 for the small of my back and a bore snake. I was helped from the man himself, Carl. Outstanding service and as always definately worth the 2 hour round trip pilgrimage!

Back
Top Bottom