Gold and silver prices are down

Silver related, but off topic- guy makes a ring out of a Morgan silver dollar. Ive never heard of making rings from coins but apparently its a thing. Pretty cool process, imo.

Cool video. There was a guy on ARFCOM that had about 6 or so for sale a few months back.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's a reasonable deal on ASE's, if you have ebay bucks 5x bonus going on now (my offer expires 9/17 @ midnight)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161811498839

104 / 5pcs
- 10% back in ebay bucks = $18.72 each. not sure if 1% ebates also qualifies, it seem to recall seeing a "coins" category on there before, but not now.

Not the greatest deal ever, but I haven't seen ASE's in a category that earns ebay bucks in a while.

Here's a reasonable deal on ASE's, if you have ebay bucks 5x bonus going on now (my offer expires 9/17 @ midnight)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161811498839

104 / 5pcs
- 10% back in ebay bucks = $18.72 each. not sure if 1% ebates also qualifies, it seem to recall seeing a "coins" category on there before, but not now.

Not the greatest deal ever, but I haven't seen ASE's in a category that earns ebay bucks in a while.

The 1% ebates is gone at the moment.

It's a decent deal. Baystate had the same price for 20 but had Mass tax under $1000.

So the Fed meeting is Thursday, and I think there's a chance gold and maybe silver will bottom before this meeting. Cause once the Fed announces no rate increase, gold will probably rally. It should eventually be obvious to everyone the Fed will never raise rates, but you never know, the media keep saying it's 50/50, lol.

I hate being right.

I think the window is closed on cheap silver and gold. Silver back above $15 already.

One little venture into silver and gold and now I am a nutcase ;) A few days ago I bought a lot of Morgan silver dollars, only because for some reason I liked them as a coin. I just think it's a pretty looking coin. I also like the fact that many have survived in pretty amazing shape after 130 years.

I have a question for the gold gurus out there. There is one coin I would love to be able to say I own, a St Gaudens $20 gold piece. I think it's most beautiful coin ever made. On Apmex, I can pick up an original and graded St Gaudens for around $1300 or so. For the same price though there is the 2015 Liberty gold coin which is modeled after the St Gaudens. I don't know what would be better and more collectible, the original or the remake. Which one does anyone think has the best long term value potential? Right now I am buying it for myself with no plans to resell it. Maybe my kid after me, I hope not, but who knows.

Graded St. Gaudens, hands down. You didn't say what grading service, or what the grade is, but you can check with PCGS online for approx. value. Apmex usually has fair prices on these.

Keep in mind they are under 1oz of gold. They contain .9675oz gold @ .900 fine. So 90% gold, and with the total weight of the coin you get the .9675oz.

Without going into too many details, I want to say I received the most outrageously great customer service from Apmex.

I'm blown away by their service, especially in this day and time of cutting corners.

Go Apmex and thank you!!!

Maybe someone who knows more than me can answer this question. I noticed that the US gold eagles are a different shade of gold then say Canadian leafs or Britannia Gold coins. The US eagle looks a little more brown where is the others look shiny yellow. Anybody know why that is? if all of them are fine gold then shouldnt they all be the same?

I've heard of this before and I think the response was due to the minting process,the heat, etc

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Maybe someone who knows more than me can answer this question. I noticed that the US gold eagles are a different shade of gold then say Canadian leafs or Britannia Gold coins. The US eagle looks a little more brown where is the others look shiny yellow. Anybody know why that is? if all of them are fine gold then shouldnt they all be the same?

Leafs and Brits are .9999 pure gold whereas the Eagles are .999 gold and .001 copper to give the coins more durability. The weight of gold in each coin is 1oz with the eagle weighing a bit more because of the added copper

Gold American Eagles are currently offered in one-tenth, one-half, one-fourth and full one ounce (1 oz.) 1 oz sizes and are certified by the U.S. Government to contain the exact amount of gold that they are stated to carry, 1oz .999 pure gold. That means an American Gold Eagle contains 91.67% gold, 3% silver, and 5.33% in copper. The gold is 22 karat – the perfect density to be pure yet durable. The coins are minted with the additional small amounts of copper and silver to prevent wear and tear.

Gross weight is 1.0909 troy oz.

It seems to me that fractional gold coins are an easier way to get into gold on a limited budget. 1 oz. coins may be better for building and holding wealth over a long period of time but the smaller coins could offer a more varied mix to hold yet be able to spend small amounts if the need arises.

It seems to me that fractional gold coins are an easier way to get into gold on a limited budget. 1 oz. coins may be better for building and holding wealth over a long period of time but the smaller coins could offer a more varied mix to hold yet be able to spend small amounts if the need arises.

Yes, the tradeoff is that fractional gold costs more to buy.

Personally I think there's a reason to have a bit of each. I like the notion of having some fractional available for trading purposes, where items are worth less and a full ounce. But "bulk" is easier managed in 1 ounce coins.

I got that for like $1080 after cashback a month ago. I'm not biting.

Since this is Ebay Bucks month (you have to spend your bucks), there's no cashback deals til next month.

- - - Updated - - -

Wow, over 16,000 of those sold on Ebay. I wonder how much inventory APMEX has on hand at any given time.

I think they just reuse the same ad, so it's 16,000 over a year or two.

I got that for like $1080 after cashback a month ago. I'm not biting.

Since this is Ebay Bucks month (you have to spend your bucks), there's no cashback deals til next month.

- - - Updated - - -

I think they just reuse the same ad, so it's 16,000 over a year or two.
I did as well. used the EBay bucks to buy some silver.

Back
Top Bottom