Gun shops and “can I see your license?”

Somebody is going to have to explain to me how this crock of shit policy is protecting the gun shop.
It's his ass and livleyhood on the line in a very unfriendly state.
It's not paranoia when they really are out to get you.
I've been asked to show mine and didn't find it a mental meltdown worthy event.
Outrage looking for a place to happen.
The 2A Karen squad.

The 2A Karen squad.

Exactly. I swear people are just looking for things to be outraged about.

Oh no, I have to show my license. Ban the shop!

Eh I take it a step farther. Requiring you to do something you aren’t legally obligated to do is never a good thing and I personally think that type of behavior should be called out.

Eh I take it a step farther. Requiring you to do something you aren’t legally obligated to do is never a good thing and I personally think that type of behavior should be called out.

It's a little different when you own a business in a hostile State that can shut you down with impunity much whenever they like. Even if you ultimately win in court the damage to the business will be significant.

By the way, $549 for P365s with optic cuts, $249 for 500 rd case of Frontier M193…this place is way cheaper than NE gun shows, despite what the gunshow apologizers here say.

And unlike gun shows, the people that work at SS actually know WTF they’re talking about.

So yeah, I’ll continue to hype this shop, but reserve the right to bitch about a policy that they and 90% of MA gun shops adhere to.
Where the hell do you people shop? 90% ask for a license before showing a gun to you? I have purchased fire arms at probably 5 mass gun shops and have never been asked for my ltc until they started the paperwork.

I'd agree, if you were somehow obligated to shop there.

You're not. You can vote with your feet. So... their shop, their rules. We all suck up little inconveniences to go to our LGSs, whether it's having to take a ticket or dealing with smelly, cranky old bastards behind the counter. Noplace is perfect.

I see this as one of a dozen variables that go into whether you want to shop there. It's on each buyer whether they choose to deal with it.

It's a little different when you own a business in a hostile State that can shut you down with impunity much whenever they like. Even if you ultimately win in court the damage to the business will be significant.
I get it. I guess I just have my fathers voice stuck in my head telling me that if you want to get anywhere in life one of the things you need is a big set of balls.

Back many years ago Sports Authority used to sell handguns. Their policy was that your LTC took the place of the gun in the display case while they had it out for you to examine.

CVS has an interesting policy that is similar with the "beware the customer" concept. If you are at the counter picking up an RX and they have to work to get your insurance to go through, they pull the bag back so you will not run out of the store with it. Even though they have your name, address and video, they think you might try a snatch and grab.

In almost every store you fill a dual role - customer and theft suspect. Unfortunately, that is the current reality for merchants.

As someone who is waiting for their LTC this made me so nervous when I went into the gun store with a friend or when I took my Ltc course. Both places I went into though allowed me to see them and pick them up etc. it’s a huge help when deciding what to buy and because they allowed I’ll definitely give them my business when my LTC ever comes.

Go to a gunshow coming up.. It will basically confirm every stereotype of a gunowner you ever read or imagined, but they generally let you fingerf*** anything you want if you ask.

I would have walked in wearing MOP Level 3 lol

They made you show your LTC through the window before opening the door, then you had to sanitize your hands. They limited the number of people in the store. While I understand they didn't want to be shut down, they did seem a little extra douchy about the process. That said, they are my LGS and I have bought a few things from them & generally have a good relationship w/ them. I have never been asked to show a license since when handling a gun there, but they also know me so not sure if that has anything to do w/ it.

They made you show your LTC through the window before opening the door, then you had to sanitize your hands. They limited the number of people in the store. While I understand they didn't want to be shut down, they did seem a little extra douchy about the process. That said, they are my LGS and I have bought a few things from them & generally have a good relationship w/ them. I have never been asked to show a license since when handling a gun there, but they also know me so not sure if that has anything to do w/ it.

I went there a few times, I was never asked to show a license..

Sig in Exeter was the most intrusive place I ever went to during covid.. IIRC they made me stand in the doorway while they took a picture of me with their security cam... I guess that is NH version of freedom? lol

I'd agree, if you were somehow obligated to shop there.

You're not. You can vote with your feet. So... their shop, their rules. We all suck up little inconveniences to go to our LGSs, whether it's having to take a ticket or dealing with smelly, cranky old bastards behind the counter. Noplace is perfect.

I see this as one of a dozen variables that go into whether you want to shop there. It's on each buyer whether they choose to deal with it.
Yes. I literally said their shop their rules but that it’s a dumb policy. I wish I hadn’t mentioned the shop now because this policy is endemic of most of Massachusetts and I was trying to make a point on the policy itself.

But now I have the toughest internet commando on NES calling me a 2A Karen or whatever, so wicked NES thread fail on my part 😂

To be fair OP did say he loves the shop and will sing their praises.

It’s a dumb policy and by product of living in a communist hell hole. Shooting Supply always was great when I was there. Haven’t been in a hit though.

I went there a few times, I was never asked to show a license..

Sig in Exeter was the most intrusive place I ever went to during covid.. IIRC they made me stand in the doorway while they took a picture of me with their security cam... I guess that is NH version of freedom? lol
Reminds me of the NH cop that parks his car next to the route 3 north "welcome to NH" sign.
Right under "live free or die" [rofl]

I can never get a good pic.

Last edited:
In MA I can't blame them for having a CYA policy

In NH this never happens

But then there is the store in Hookset that wants to see ID to buy a hi capacity magazine because heaven forbid a MA resident who owns a home in NH and can legally own them might try to buy one.
I was carded at a shop (not a chain, not Shooter's) before I could look at a rifle in NH so.... 🤷‍♂️

Yes. I literally said their shop their rules but that it’s a dumb policy. I wish I hadn’t mentioned the shop now because this policy is endemic of most of Massachusetts and I was trying to make a point on the policy itself.

But now I have the toughest internet commando on NES calling me a 2A Karen or whatever, so wicked NES thread fail on my part 😂

Yeah, I feel bad too; I had the "out 'em" post. But I'm not that mad at myself, because...

a. Someone else would have posted it soon enough anyway, and
b. I was being facetious.

Whatever. It is what it is, Karen.

Karen Intensifies GIF by MOODMAN

Yeah, I feel bad too; I had the "out 'em" post. But I'm not that mad at myself, because...

a. Someone else would have posted it soon enough anyway, and
b. I was being facetious.

Whatever. It is what it is, Karen.
I do think it’s important to point out bad policies. That’s the only way to get these shops to improve.

But yeah, once people started criticizing them for requiring hand sanitizer during the shutdowns I realized I f***ed up.

Maybe I’ll ask to have this one deleted.

I do think it’s important to point out bad policies. That’s the only way to get these shops to improve.

But yeah, once people started criticizing them for requiring hand sanitizer during the shutdowns I realized I f***ed up.

Maybe I’ll ask to have this one deleted.
Don't do that, the memes are starting to show up!

The 2A Karen squad.
I asked how it protects them. Which you haven't answered. You need an ltc to touch a gun in that shop. Is it because they want to demonstrate that they don't sell to people without licenses? What about the ammo on their shelves. Hell, why not check for licenses at the door. And while you're at it paint the windows so nobody without a license can see any guns from the outside. I'll ask again; what is that policy protecting them from?

Back
Top Bottom