Gun shops and “can I see your license?”

It doesn’t prove anything conclusively but it’s reasonable due diligence on the shop’s part if The State is trying to jam them up for it.

A plastic card doesn't prove that someone isn;'t a felon "as they sit" or in situ. Further, if the OP already showed his plastic card that should be
enough. There's nothing "reasonable" about what the shop asked for at that juncture.

I made a handgun purchase at my LGS the other day, and while they were processing the transfer I went to let my friend handle the gun. Both employees behind the counter put out their hands as a stop command and said “we need to see his license first!” I’d swear there was a record scratch and the place went silent and everyone was starring at us.

I’ll show my license to handle a gun if asked, but this was annoying. It’s not a law, it’s a policy we’ve all learned to live with. What if I’m an out of state resident and would ship it to my FFL if I bought it? Still not allowed to handle it?

I wish shops would cut the shit with this. But their shop their rules I guess.

I DON'T DEAL WITH SHOPS THAT HAVE A$$HOLE POLICIES LIKE THIS !!!

I do think it’s important to point out bad policies. That’s the only way to get these shops to improve.
That's great, but those policies will never change. I've never heard of one of these shops dumping a shit policy unless someone else took over ownership. They're gonna do what theyre
going to do. It's better to just move on and shop elsewhere if it bothers you enough.

Sig in Exeter was the most intrusive place I ever went to during covid.. IIRC they made me stand in the doorway while they took a picture of me with their security cam... I guess that is NH version of freedom? lol

It was worse than that at one point, they actually had an infrared thermometer and if your head was hot they wouldn't let you in. [rofl] (maybe those things are related)

It was worse than that at one point, they actually had an infrared thermometer and if your head was hot they wouldn't let you in. [rofl] (maybe those things are related)

Ya, was that as well!

I think after they let you in after standing in the interlock, a bearded tactical Chad type was there with a thermometer..I totally forgot that part.

If I wasn't going there with the 40% employee discount I would have left lol I ended up leaving empty handed I think because the discount only worked on one box of ammo, I wanted a case :)

It's his ass and livleyhood on the line in a very unfriendly state.
It's not paranoia when they really are out to get you.
I've been asked to show mine and didn't find it a mental meltdown worthy event.
Outrage looking for a place to happen.
The 2A Karen squad.

That's cute but it's still stupid and irrational policy.

I agree the OP should just shop elsewhere though.

I could fill a thread with "shop XYZ is a massengil douche factory" stories ive seen or experienced myself. The thing is, I just dont think they're that important. If it bothers me enough I just
leave and never come back. (internally) "Oh, I see whats going on here, selling gun at over MSRP. this is going to be grrrrrreat." [rofl] look around a couple minutes, then jet, and never
go back again. [rofl]

I can go to cabela's and handle the used guns without showing an LTC. They'll be out of business in 2 weeks. ;)

Obligatory "Massachusetts Sucks".

This lunacy isnt just a mass thing either. It's a box store thing. Its just that in free state the box stores box differently but still demented in their own f***ed up way. Like a friend of mine from PA described the basically chinese water torture he went through to buy a firearm at Cabelas once. [rofl]

This lunacy isnt just a mass thing either. It's a box store thing. Its just that in free state the box stores box differently but still demented in their own f***ed up way. Like a friend of mine from PA described the basically chinese water torture he went through to buy a firearm at Cabelas once. [rofl]

That's a valid point. I was interested in a pistol at Bass Pro in Savannah a couple years ago. Guy took it out of the counter, would NOT take the trigger lock off. I told him to put it back, I wasn't buying a pistol that I couldn't test dryfire.

A plastic card doesn't prove that someone isn;'t a felon "as they sit" or in situ. Further, if the OP already showed his plastic card that should be
enough. There's nothing "reasonable" about what the shop asked for at that juncture.

I agree, I’m just trying to figure out what the rationale behind the policy is.

I have people try and show me their LTC/FID when I bring out a gun for them to look at. They get confused when I decline to look and say I will take it when they make a purchase. They seem confused that they did not get to kowtow to the MA gun gods.

MGL is very clear on this. Anyone can handle/possess while under the supervision of a LTC holder as long as they are not a prohibited person. Unless I have reason to believe they are a prohibited person, I am not remotely concerned about them handling guns. Damn, that is 1/2 of why we are open. If you can't come in and finger f*ck the guns, what is the point?

Some people are so conditioned to asking permission for every breath they take...

Those idiots at gun parlor made me show my ltc before letting me handle their guns. Then proceeded to say that staccato’s were illegal because it’s not on the roster 🤣.

Those idiots at gun parlor made me show my ltc before letting me handle their guns. Then proceeded to say that staccato’s were illegal because it’s not on the roster 🤣.
And why did you expect otherwise out of gun parlor? And even under their logic they are wrong since there is now a staccato on the roster. But I digress..

This is something I never understood. If you not going to sell it why show it in the first place. Just a big FU to buyers. There was a guy at the Marlboro Gun Show where half his table had guns with a big sign saying MA people couldn’t buy them. Why bring them to a MA gun show? Ahole.

This is something I never understood. If you not going to sell it why show it in the first place. Just a big FU to buyers. There was a guy at the Marlboro Gun Show where half his table had guns with a big sign saying MA people couldn’t buy them. Why bring them to a MA gun show? Ahole.
They didn’t have staccatos, I asked them if they have any and the guy said it’s not on the roster so it’s illegal. This was 2 years ago.

Back
Top Bottom