Harvard Sportsmen's Club

About 80 yards. I don't remember if there was a caliber restriction. Jack.
Big difference between the perceived risk of a .22lr projectile skipping off the ground at 300yds, going over a 20+ft berm, and causing carnage another few hundred yards away through a forest...versus someone being able to hit a car in direct line of sight at 80yds with a pistol. The fact that they even had to skip it off the ground TWICE to hit the car is concerning lol.

I had long discussions on the 200 yd and 300 yard restrictions. Apparrantly the laws of physics don’t apply at the 200/300 yards ranges. I was told a .243 Winchester was too small to use at the ranges ( until I pointed out that would eliminate .222 and .223 Remington. ). I would have liked a 6” steel target at 300 yards but that was “unsafe” too

So I gave up trying to change things and just enjoyed the club for the great things that are there. I may disagree with them at times but the range chairs are all very dedicated to the club and the sport and it is Fantastic club. HSC is of the few things I miss about MA.

Bullets are not photons and, in general, unlike light, angle of incidence does not equal angle of reflection. When a bullet hits a solid surface at an angle, it tends to redirect at a shallow angle. There are training manuals that suggest this property be used to advantage in certain gunfighting situations.

Except for the one with "GC" spray painted on his bottom.
I told Megan about that and she fell off her perch laffin. GC came to visit me at the house a while ago. In all of her 30 years this was the first time that she flew over to the table to sit where a strange man was sitting. Amazing how animals, even birds, can tell who is "an animal person" and who isn't. Jack.

I told Megan about that and she fell off her perch laffin. GC came to visit me at the house a while ago. In all of her 30 years this was the first time that she flew over to the table to sit where a strange man was sitting. Amazing how animals, even birds, can tell who is "an animal person" and who isn't. Jack.
The cashew cologne Gerry put on his pulse points had nothing to do with that miracle, of course.

Big difference between the perceived risk of a .22lr projectile skipping off the ground at 300yds, going over a 20+ft berm, and causing carnage another few hundred yards away through a forest...versus someone being able to hit a car in direct line of sight at 80yds with a pistol. The fact that they even had to skip it off the ground TWICE to hit the car is concerning lol.
speaking of 200/300 .2lr restriction - again, i think the most fear was about that bullet ending up in the 60yd range that is right behind that berm. dunno.
most of it seems very artificial, but, well, you know.

speaking of 200/300 .2lr restriction - again, i think the most fear was about that bullet ending up in the 60yd range that is right behind that berm. dunno.
most of it seems very artificial, but, well, you know.
I don't think that's possible - you'd have to send the bullet almost straight up to have it clear the tall berm and fall down right on the other side of it.

Bullets are not photons and, in general, unlike light, angle of incidence does not equal angle of reflection. When a bullet hits a solid surface at an angle, it tends to redirect at a shallow angle. There are training manuals that suggest this property be used to advantage in certain gunfighting situations.

Yeah, don't hug the wall.

I don't think that's possible - you'd have to send the bullet almost straight up to have it clear the tall berm and fall down right on the other side of it.
Are we sure 6.5 Carcano is permitted at the 200/300?

As far as I know, that is the only bullet that has those magic properties.

An email was sent - wokes from a town of Boxborough found a way to assault the club. If they put wells in there - it goes with a 1/2 mile safety zones around them, no range allowed.

—————-

Boxborough Residents, HSC Needs your assistance.

The Boxborough Water Resource Committee has a Town Warrant scheduled to be voted on at a Special Town Meeting that affects your club.

Meeting Date: Monday, February 28th, 2022

Meeting Location: The Parade Room, Boxborough Regency Hotel

An email was sent - wokes from a town of Boxborough found a way to assault the club. If they put wells in there - it goes with a 1/2 mile safety zones around them, no range allowed.
Be sure to point out that if the land is rendered useless for its intended purpose, Harvard will have no choice but to consider putting the land to its highest and best use (housing stock, with adequate consideration given to low income 40B requirements). Towns sometimes don't appreciate that a few hundred acres of undeveloped land that puts almost no burden on the town, very little traffic compared to housing, no impact to schools, etc. is actually a benefit.

Last edited:
Be sure to point out that if the land is rendered useless for its intended purpose, Harvard will have no choice but to consider putting the land to its highest and best use (housing stock, with adequate consideration given to low income 40B requirements). Towns sometimes don't appreciate that a few hundred acres of undeveloped land that puts almost no burden on the town, very little traffic compared to housing, no impact to schools, etc. is actually a benefit.
If boxborough already has enough affordable housing the next best use would be a prison.

There is essentially no land in Harvard, just the entrance. Most of the land is Boxborough and a small amount of Littleton. This is a very creative f*** you attempt.

There is essentially no land in Harvard, just the entrance. Most of the land is Boxborough and a small amount of Littleton. This is a very creative f*** you attempt.
Yup, and the triple point is off in a field (I think to the right of the entrance road) which is why you don't see a "three corners" monument on club grounds. Sounds like time to get Boxboro people aggravated.

The true FU is going 40B, however, the end result of that is 40B eligible neighbors to the club.

Yup, and the triple point is off in a field (I think to the right of the entrance road) which is why you don't see a "three corners" monument on club grounds. Sounds like time to get Boxboro people aggravated.

The true FU is going 40B, however, the end result of that is 40B eligible neighbors to the club.
Littleton is all North so to the left. Back out deep in the shotgun area and the back corner where some hunting happens. All the real part of the club is Boxborough and Harvard is literally just 10ft off the rd and nothing more. I think all of Harvard is in the right of way.

I just joined HSC this past Summer. I’d hate to see it ruined by political sabotage. How can a non-Boxborough resident help? I’ll show up to the meeting if they allow non-residents.

Last edited:
I just joined HSC this past Summer. I’d hate to see it ruined by political sabotage. How can a non-Boxborough resident help? I’ll show up to the meeting if they allow non-residents.

You can attend you just can't register at the front to vote in the Town Meeting. Numbers help

It's uncertain whether Boxborough will allow non-residents to attend, or to speak as it's a "special" meeting. They definitely won't let non-residents vote.

The board will be sending a representative to speak on behalf of the Club.

The first step, for folks on the ground, is to get as many residents as possible to show up to the meeting and vote against the proposal.

Last edited:
Mass Open Meeting law require municipal meetings to allow anyone in attendance
Thank you for clarifying. I did not know that.
May be a "new" development in the last ~40 years.

In the early 80's, Hudson PD turned me away entirely
(instead in retrospect of directing me to the visitor/media bleachers)
when I tried to attend Town Meeting just to see how sausage was made
as a legal town resident not on the voter rolls.

clearly you had a "look" about you, and they were pretty sure you wouldn't know you could press that point

Appropriate if it was a town meeting where actual votes were taken by a show of hands or ayes/nays.

Do you think they only admit reporters who are legal residents?
If not, how do they know to ignore the reporters?
The probably trust the reporters not to raise their hands, the way reporters at some crime/fire/accidents are allowed closer to the scene than persons not in the profession and lacking importance.

—————-

Boxborough Residents, HSC Needs your assistance.

The Boxborough Water Resource Committee has a Town Warrant scheduled to be voted on at a Special Town Meeting that affects your club.

Meeting Date: Monday, February 28th, 2022

Meeting Location: The Parade Room, Boxborough Regency Hotel
The proposal did not pass last night.

Back
Top Bottom