• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Harvard Sportsmen's Club

From the looks of all those holes, it looks more like incompetence than evil.

Why don't you keep spares? We keep spare parts for the critical steel (mainly plate racks) at Hopkinton, and El Presidente is frequently seen with a wrench keeping the equipment in working order. We use MGM steel (MIke Gibson Manufacturing) and Mike has always been very helpful getting us the spare parts we need to stay operational.
Are you a member at Harvard?

Are you a member at Harvard?
Yes, but I didn't even make it to the facility last year. I keep my membership because it's a great club I want to support. I mainly use the Hopkinton club and dedicate my volunteer activities there because it is much closer, and easier to get to when ElPrez puts in a repair order. In fact, UPS tracking shows that a part for club equipment is scheduled to be delivered to my house today.

Last edited:
Can you tell me which size chain we're using? I'll buy a bag of quick links to get us through until Mark's work party...
chain metal is about an inch thick may be - it is quite solid. that is why this chain survives so far. all spares are in the shed, if you have anything that can be useful - leave it by the door of the shed.

to Rob - week ago there was not a mark on those links. if you look at photo you will see that right link was hit 4 times on left side and 3 times on right, with one hole through

left link was hit 4 times on left side and 3 times on right side, and split.

Last edited:
chain metal is about an inch thick may be - it is quite solid. that is why this chain survives so far.

to Rob - week ago there was not a mark on those links. if you look at photo you will see that right link was hit 4 times on left side and 3 times on right, with one hole through

left link was hit 4 times on left side and 3 times on right side, and split.
Perhaps the shooter was trying to shoot through the open space in the middle of the link and missed.

The damage will likely continue until those responsible are held accountable which will probably be never
Given all the HSC/NES members around, I wouldn't be surprised if we had shitheads reading this thread and then trying their best to do the damage to amuse themselves. Jack.

Given all the HSC/NES members around, I wouldn't be surprised if we had shitheads reading this thread and then trying their best to do the damage to amuse themselves. Jack.
absolutely possible, but, at some point if it will continue - then repairs will stop as well, as, it can only go to a certain level.
right link now needs to be cut off - as thread is stuck after it got shot, and i do not have a battery operated grinder or torch to cut that steel.

absolutely possible, but, at some point if it will continue - then repairs will stop as well, as, it can only go to a certain level.
right link now needs to be cut off - as thread is stuck after it got shot, and i do not have a battery operated grinder or torch to cut that steel.
Did you ever contact Tony at the Mill in Littleton about the hardware? Jack.

I have a brand new AR500 steel silhouette plate and brackett system id like to donate to the club. I bought it before I joined HSC and then found out you cannot bring your own steel targets. Its a great system. It mounts onto a 2X4 with a brackett so you can set it at any height you want. The only part im keeping from the kit is the base shown in the picture because I Have 2 brackets that mount to the bottom that hold the strapping for my paper targets.

This would work great with a pressure treated 2x4 cemented in the ground to use with the special bracket that comes with it to hang the plate. There are no bolts, chains, or connectors. I also thought the club could use a piece of steel the size of a 2x4 so nobody shoots at the wood 2x4 and weld the bracket that holds the target to that piece of steel 2x4.

If there's a board member from the club here feel free to PM me so I can give you my phone number to meet at the club to give it to you. Or let me know if I need to contact Jason directly. I'll be at the club this Sunday hopefully.

Here's a few pictures of the setup.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220318-171453_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220318-171453_Chrome.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 9
  • Screenshot_20220318-171421_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220318-171421_Chrome.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 9
  • Screenshot_20220318-171457_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220318-171457_Chrome.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 9
I have a brand new AR500 steel silhouette plate and brackett system id like to donate to the club. I bought it before I joined HSC and then found out you cannot bring your own steel targets. Its a great system. It mounts onto a 2X4 with a brackett so you can set it at any height you want. The only part im keeping from the kit is the base shown in the picture because I Have 2 brackets that mount to the bottom that hold the strapping for my paper targets.

This would work great with a pressure treated 2x4 cemented in the ground to use with the special bracket that comes with it to hang the plate. There are no bolts, chains, or connectors. I also thought the club could use a piece of steel the size of a 2x4 so nobody shoots at the wood 2x4 and weld the bracket that holds the target to that piece of steel 2x4.

If there's a board member from the club here feel free to PM me so I can give you my phone number to meet at the club to give it to you. Or let me know if I need to contact Jason directly. I'll be at the club this Sunday hopefully.

Here's a few pictures of the setup.
Best bet is to email the board, or whoever is in charge of the specific range you think it might be good for (e.g., Mark for the 100)

I'm on my phone, but if you PM me, I'll help you get in touch with the right person.

dunno if it is spring, or if it is an ukraine effect - but as i drove by today i saw in all pits with steel plates - it looked like husbands teaching their wives how to shoot. pretty awesome.
i spoke to my own wife about it some days ago - and she was always like - i do not mind all your stupid guns as long as they are off my sight - and she also says now she thinks it is time and she is ready to learn whenever i am ready to take her.
times are changing. not sure if for the best or worse, but changing indeed.

dunno if it is spring, or if it is an ukraine effect - but as i drove by today i saw in all pits with steel plates - it looked like husbands teaching their wives how to shoot. pretty awesome.
i spoke to my own wife about it some days ago - and she was always like - i do not mind all your stupid guns as long as they are off my sight - and she also says now she thinks it is time and she is ready to learn whenever i am ready to take her.
times are changing. not sure if for the best or worse, but changing indeed.
They all come around

The steel at the 100 is shot down and the frame that holds the hanging targets at the 50 is shot down but I'm sure it's all accidental.
While I was there at 100 around 1-2pm it was a hellfire coming from a 50. Sounded like very rapid .22lr, not auto but a very long fast sequences 15-20 rounds in a row.

Steel at 100 was still on at that time.

for what it matters, both plates are back now, for how long no one can tell.
i replaced lower bolts and now there is only 1 upper mount left. existing old bolts seemingly were evaporated together with new nuts - there were nothing to be found on the ground, quite odd.

I appreciate your efforts. I just put a new 3X ACCS on my AR and was able to dart out to the range after work to ring some steel the other day.

Back
Top Bottom