• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Harvard Sportsmen's Club

It didn't pass but it did get a majority of the vote. I hope I'm wrong but I'm not sure we are done with this yet.

They require 2/3 majority. The club has retained counsel in anticipation of this not going awat. Special meeting to allocate reserve funds for legal fees.
Thanks. Just got the newsletter:

The article was defeated with a 62 Yes to 49 No Vote. Boxborough requires 2/3rd majority.

Harvard Sportsmen's Club firmly expects further action on this matter.

As of February 17th, HSC has retained legal representation.

I just watched the meeting online. I'd like to commend the people who spoke at the meeting and raised excellent points. The Water Resource Authority person had few answers to the questions posed to him.

For anyone who wants to see how the Community Preservation Act (CPA) has devolved into another slush fund, they are looking to use CPA money to fund the purchase (if it ever gets to that) of the land. This law is a surcharge on property taxes that originally was promised to "preserve open space" and has devolved into just another slush fund for town government.

Has anyone considered that building a well on a range full of lead might not be the best idea?

Has anyone considered that building a well on a range full of lead might not be the best idea?
One of the theories is that they are doing it to essentially remove the club but not actually go on record as removing it for being a range, because that would be against the law. Instead develop some "public good" argument to get them out so they won't get sued.

It's why Newton changed the zoning laws to only allow gun stores in one particular section. They feared that if they outlawed it entirely, they would lose in court. Same strategy.

Well, those wells are not intended for an actual water supply but only to grab the land, it is quite obvious.

Well, those wells are not intended for an actual water supply but only to grab the land, it is quite obvious.
But did anyone bring it up at the meeting? If they're playing the game of pretending that this is about water, then it is only appropriate to point out that it's a game.

But did anyone bring it up at the meeting? If they're playing the game of pretending that this is about water, then it is only appropriate to point out that it's a game.
Yes. Someone brought up the fact that the adjacent parcel has been bought by a developer that may be pushing to get additional water rights to enhance the value of the property. Also, not having a range next door would help if they wished to turn the current office building into residential units.

Meeting link is here: Castus VOD Widget

The discussion starts at about 50 minutes and goes for some time (45 minutes+)

Yes. Someone brought up the fact that the adjacent parcel has been bought by a developer that may be pushing to get additional water rights to enhance the value of the property. Also, not having a range next door would help if they wished to turn the current office building into residential units.

Meeting link is here: Castus VOD Widget

The discussion starts at about 50 minutes and goes for some time (45 minutes+)
One thing we do at Hopkinton with developers is we has an attorney drafter letter send advising the developer that we have been in existence XX years, are covered by the MA range protection law, and have plans to continue operation - then we get to the good part, reminding them that this is something a buyer or tenant may consider a relevant face in their purchase/rent decision and as such, they are under an obligation to have their agents disclose this to all portential buyers and renters.

This can provide some protection from the realtor "I see nothing, I know nothing" - that often materializes as an agent telling the seller not to inform them about any history of water in the basement, high radon or other defects they do not wish to be under a legal and ethical obligation to disclose.

Last edited:
Bring up the hypocrisy with hypocrites? :)
They have a response to that - ‘yes we can’. And they do.

Club hired a lawyer, we can only hope that will help. It will be very sad to lose this club to a swarm of new age commies.

It's a sportsman's club. Every square inch is utilized per the club charter to include the unfettered access of the membership across the property withstanding club rules and conservation restrictions.

Apparently the online calendar is broken, there's only one person who can fix it, and he's not around. Also there's an "all day" event at the indoor range today - no time specified so presumably it's a midnight-to-midnight affair, which I find hard to believe. Anyways, mini rant over.

Does anyone know if there are ANY events going on at ANY of the ranges this coming Tuesday, 15 March?

After what they did to the Canadian truckers? Nah bro...

GiveSendGo and deal with the fact you might get doxed.

If you want to give, send a check to Harvard Sportsmens Club, and write legal fund in the memo field. Don't bother with GiveSendGo or gof***me
Harvard Sportsmens Club
Littleton County Road
PO Box 114
Harvard, MA 01451-0114

It can be like Appleseed but with pistols instead of rifles and women's history instead of American history.

"Unload and show clear. If clear pull the trigger and holster. Range is clear! Now, let's talk about what a great achievement it is for Kamala Harris to become the first female VP in our nation's history..." I might get shot by everyone in attendance...

Whoever that c@cksucker is - it is out of hibernation now as last time I fixed it the upper links were not yet shot.
We do not have any spares for those links so if those go - c’est la vie. View attachment 591892
From the looks of all those holes, it looks more like incompetence than evil.

Why don't you keep spares? We keep spare parts for the critical steel (mainly plate racks) at Hopkinton, and El Presidente is frequently seen with a wrench keeping the equipment in working order. We use MGM steel (MIke Gibson Manufacturing) and Mike has always been very helpful getting us the spare parts we need to stay operational.

Whoever that c@cksucker is - it is out of hibernation now as last time I fixed it the upper links were not yet shot.
We do not have any spares for those links so if those go - c’est la vie. View attachment 591892
Can you tell me which size chain we're using? I'll buy a bag of quick links to get us through until Mark's work party...

Back
Top Bottom